Forage Inquiry

FoneBoneJay

So made a video yesterday. I noticed the times to forage vary. Yeah ok, but based on what? It doesn't say anywhere and I'm trying to believe it is the weather but that doesn't always jive. Does anybody have it documented what makes foraging for a piece of wood, go from 20 min to 45 min I am toolless?

20 min: foraging inside (reclaimed wood)

30 min: foraging outside in good weather

45 min: foraging outside in bad weather

I think the amount of light should have an impact as well, but not sure if that is true (takes longer when there is no or little light).

And then there's the following bug: when foraging outside, forage for 1 piece of wood. This takes 30 min. Then every other piece of wood only takes 20 min... But this will probably be fixed in the next update.

See I am seeing varying times for wood forage. Sometimes it is 20 min, sometimes 25 min, sometimes 30 min, sometimes 38 min, sometimes 45 min. It doesn't appear to have a pattern, it doesn't vary all that much but it does appear to vary.

These are all unassisted by tool times. I was wondering if there is a concrete table or mechanic at work here. Foraging for wood in the house takes 20 min but sometimes outside it takes 20 min too for better quality wood, (longer burning).

If it is indeed a bug that you get 20 min for each piece after taking 30 min for 1 piece well I think it should take less time in broad daylight. If you have ever tried to get wood at night you know it is impossible to scrape together the same amount in the same amount of time.

accept it, if I were you. IRL, foraging would take a varying amount of time for each attempted foray into the area around you.

When I go to collect wood for my fire (I'm talking IRL now) it varies between how easily i find the stuff, how damp outside, and how dark it is. Sometimes it takes 15 minutes for me, other times I've been outside for 45 minutes, cutting logs for firewood.

Oh I would not dispute it would take more or less time based on those factors or how dense the thickets were. I just wanted to know if the mechanics were in flux i.e. broken or if this was the actual game design. Without a doubt I agree it would take longer maybe even 2 to 3 times as long to find a quantity of wood.

At night I have first hand knowledge of how hard it is to find wood when you run out and its late after midnight and you have to go get some, its also freaky when you can hear critters who are better suited to stalking at night moving around and you cant see shit. That makes the process take longer too.

Archived