Night navigation

enewmen

I noticed the night sky doesn't have "real" stars or constellations.  I think it will help a lot if you are able to recognize the stars in the far north - if not covered in clouds.  Also a way to use the moon as navigation - but that's more complex.    Since the game is in perpetual winter, the constellations don't need to change by the seasons - making it easier to develop.   I saw this topic a couple of times on Steam, but not in the wish-list specifically.  This may motivate people to learn basic astronomy. 

my 2 cents worth.

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to second this suggestion. I've been somewhat active recently (since coming back to the game yet again), and was reviving lost threads for this.

A sky map shouldn't be too difficult, and in addition, since the game is based in Canada, the sky wouldn't need to vary much at all (just a little earth wobble, which could easily be shunned, or even shifted if you wanted to throw us folks who have an idea of what the sky should look like off hehe).

Personally, this is one of the things I've been keeping an eye on in-game, despite my playing on-and-off. I believe, like the OP, that if there was some set star pattern to base directions off of (I often attempted to do so with the sun rising/setting, and the moon, before I found "cheater" maps), one could easily figure out the layout, directions, and whatnot, without heavily relying on outside sources. It'd be like foundational landmarks you start to notice after you play enough... but if you knew them to start with, it'd be a one-up bonus.

While this will add to the realism of the game I disagree that is needed because for easier navigation we have the ability to draw maps of the places that we visit. + most people are not so into reading the stars for navigation and this will not be so easy to incorporate into the game for the few that do.

I feel that it doesn't really matter if the stars mimic the real world night sky but I do think the night sky should have some uniqueness to it instead of being a copy and paste over and over until the sky is filled with stars. 

On 1/12/2019 at 8:22 AM, Mystix said:

While this will add to the realism of the game I disagree that is needed because for easier navigation we have the ability to draw maps of the places that we visit. + most people are not so into reading the stars for navigation and this will not be so easy to incorporate into the game for the few that do.

I'm not sure how the code works, but sky maps are easy to find. I'm sure a filter could easily be applied to make it look like the "patchy" graphics the game uses, and then just replace the original sky file with that.
Or perhaps it's way more convoluted than I realise. But if not, I'd be glad to find a sky map to proffer for the game. I believe many people would appreciate the realism of that; I actually spent the first few months of playing trying to memorise the sky to orient myself. (I did the same in LOTRO; it is fake but has a few recognizable constellations. That, and getting lost generally wasn't a life-or-death issue.) Then I find Whiteberry's maps... :P

Archived