Climbing out of the ravine

Old Nick

My last voyager run came to an end after 67 days. I got stuck at the bottom of the ravine and couldn't climb out. It feels like I missed something :) (Other than I shouldn't have left my cooking pot and empty can on the fire before I climbed down in the first place :D)

Is there some special trick to climbing out? Do I need to drink coffee or use a stim before the long climb? Do I have to be under a certain weight? Or is there another way out of there?

The rope is pretty long there as far as I remember. I've only been there once yet, but before climbing up such long ropes I sleep until I am fully rested and I think I have even had to take a short nap on the ledge there inbetween to be able to make the last few meters without risking a fall.

Edited by atomic

Be fully rested before beginning the climb (that rope, along with one in TWM, is one of the longest climbs) and rest on the ledge, where you can either get a bit of sleep if you have a bedroll (watch temps, storms, etc) or pound a few coffees if you have them. But it is a two-stage climb that needs you to be well-rested at the start and recover on the ledge.

Best to start the climb right after sleeping and no running from the cave to the start of the climb. Gotta save all of your stamina and energy.

Edited by Carbon

2 hours ago, Old Nick said:

Do I need to drink coffee or use a stim before the long climb?

Welcome to the forum @Old Nick, and no, there is no requirement for coffee or a stim.

The long rope climbs do require a lot of stamina. So as with everything in TLD, it is important to plan:

• Sleep to assure you are fully rested, (stay awake late enough by preparing for and planning your calm morning climb).
  • Pickup the important gear and do not get too overweight in your backpack, (no harm leaving a water and some firewood).
  • Take a nice morning stroll to the base of the ravine climbing rope, (make final preparations / no work / no delays). 
  • Drink to reduce your encumbrance, (feel free to also use a coffee if you planned and have one ready).
  • Drop sticks until you reduce your weight below "the red-line encumbrance limit", (a full backpack is not a problem).
  • Climb the first 80% and you will notice a snowy ledge, (you must look at it and when the word LEDGE appears click to step onto ledge).
  • Enjoy the view and take screenshots, (check your stamina after a couple minutes to verify you are recovered / full sprint gauge).
  • Finally, climb the top 20% and move to a safe location to warm-up and celebrate your success!

Ravine screenshot at dusk; stay awake and enjoy the ravine at night while completing all work and planning for the morning climb.
20180812173551_1.thumb.jpg.bef294dfc332bacfded38974510950fe.jpg
In the event you wake to find the weather has changed to a storm, stop a moment and develop a new plan.
In the event you are not able to plan ahead, then yes, you may use a stim to gain added stamina to escape the situation.

Best of luck my friend. :coffee:

Edited by s7mar7in
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

PS - I leave absolutely every piece of non-essential gear in the backpack at the top (or the coleman).  Bandaids, extra water, pots, pry bars, that chunck of cedar you've been carrying around, etc.  That way if you miscalculate - say how wet your clothes are going to be - you don't have to leave anything behind.  Like I did the second time.  :) Wait.... drop that chunk of cedar on the ledge on your way down.  :)

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is old, but I'm a brand new player and can't find the rope. I don't see it anywhere. I'm so confused. I tried playing about a year ago and couldn't find the rope then. And since there is no way to jump up onto the things, I can't find my way out of the ravine. Please help. Thank you.

10 hours ago, t1gerfang said:

I know this thread is old, but I'm a brand new player and can't find the rope. I don't see it anywhere. I'm so confused. I tried playing about a year ago and couldn't find the rope then. And since there is no way to jump up onto the things, I can't find my way out of the ravine. Please help. Thank you.

If need be take the rope from another climb and use it to get down into the ravine.  Recently I took a rope from the climb between the Camp Office and the hunter's blind en route to the dam.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, t1gerfang said:

Welcome @t1gerfang.

The survivor in you should use logic to determine that the climbing rope must be deployed from the top of the Ravine; and therefore must be from a location accessible from the area above the Ravine climbing point. There are constant updates to the game and spawn locations so here is a helpful hint and a related forum post from earlier this Summer.

Minor hint: There is much RR track to explore between the tunnel from Mystery Lake and the tunnel to Coastal Highway.

Minor spoilers / hints, (click hidden content below to see discussion from related forum post):

Stay safe my friend. :coffee:

Edited by s7mar7in