Add the ability to jump

FeLLoN

Can we get a jump button plz!!! I'm not talking lebron James jumping height but just a small jump height so I can jump on small boulders and over small rocks, Branch's, logs for when I'm running from a bear or wolf. It would make a world of difference what do u guys think? 

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

@Kiom This is great.

The Long Dark jump is something that I have an vested interest in. 

The jump ability within a game as Skyrim made the concept of climbing mountains seem ridiculous.   Within The Long Dark the ability to scale mountain slopes has been reduced.  Climbing or goating takes skill in reading the terrain not just spam jump key while pushing forward.  The heights I have reached personally would not offer the same reward if a skyrim type jump mechanic were introduced.

screen_5e599848-216b-40d6-a8c3-1e5cabb2e27c_hi.thumb.png.8159a2fb4c774fa5d0662a1251c02014.png

The idea of getting over an obstacle or vaulting is still valid.  The only issue is the action of jumping should have risk.  This reduces the player's dependency as the quick fix goto button. This type of action should also be similar to running and reduce stamina and fatigue rapidly.

If climbing a car does break an animal's hostility then this is another issue that should be fixed.  An aggressive animal should still maintain visual contact and patrol the immediate area.

Climbing on top of a car should include risk of slipping and falling.  The action could be automatic just as in the rosehip bramble climbing although personally a manual method would be preferred.

The areas that have small terrain details that prevent movement should be reported as bugs.  Logs on the ground should be made passable.  The fallen trees that can be climbed used to have limbs that prevented progress.   There is a tree that leads to a cave after secluded shelf at the last rope climb on TWM.  This tree used to be quite the obstacle and would hang me up.  It bothered me so much that I started to look for an alternate route.  In the recent updates the tree is much easier to pass, the limbs are now ghosted.  There are more trees like that and have been fixed.  I am thankful to the HL team for improving tree climbing.

Did you know goats think it's a great sport climbing trees?

On 7/23/2019 at 1:26 AM, Ice Hole said:

The idea of getting over an obstacle or vaulting is still valid.  The only issue is the action of jumping should have risk.  This reduces the player's dependency as the quick fix goto button. This type of action should also be similar to running and reduce stamina and fatigue rapidly.

If I had to choose, I would think vaulting makes more sense. If you weren't encumbered for example and apart from faster exhaustion, the risks I think appropriate for this would be sprained ankles or wrists - even torn clothing would be a possibility.

On 7/23/2019 at 1:26 AM, Ice Hole said:

If climbing a car does break an animal's hostility then this is another issue that should be fixed.  An aggressive animal should still maintain visual contact and patrol the immediate area.

Or in the case of wolves, gradually outnumber the player the longer he tries to stay on top which would pose an even more real danger when he tries to get down. But I don't see why a player would have the option climbing on top of a vehicle when we could just simply enter and keep safe till predators leave.

Edited by JujuBear