Admin

The Long Dark Updated to V1.41 [43925] – REDUX

I'm so happy to have my bow and arrows again, since I rarely use my rifles. Thank you for getting that fix out so quickly.

• Upvote 1

I've reread my previous reaction as well as giving a bit more time to the new update to grow on me. My reaction might have been a bit tough but then so were my first impressions.

I was afraid that the blue tint is the way it is on purpose, not thinking that the game might not be acting as intended. Well I'm happy to hear that a fix is already in the tubes. As for the performance hit, I've noticed that it happens whenever I stare at the ground outside. The lower I look, the lower the framerate. I can get 50 fps looking up and it gradually goes down to 20 while I stare at my feet. It's particularly noticeable while gathering sticks or when looking down at a fire while cooking. I guess that's not how the game is supposed to perform as well so I'm hoping for a fix possibly soon.

Thanks for the love and support !

Edited by Zobmachine
  • Upvote 1

On 12/19/2018 at 1:41 PM, palbi said:

This is a good idea, though I can't see loading times increase - maybe because I have the game on SSD. But what I see (only in Milton Town so far) that the Region has been changed here and there, some of my past paths are blocked now by rocks. Maybe this was one of the reasons of the warning to move stuff from some regions?

The new story mode path works wonderfully, but the map changes made to enable it really ruin Milton as a location in Survival mode, in my lonely opinion. 

Before, you had both the rope climb a short distance behind Grey Mother's house, or you could follow the vine climbs/river path down to the bridge. They were stamina-intensive, but time-efficient - and given how lousy Mountain Town is with wolves, alternate routes in this area were absolutely essential. The river path also gave you fairly safe access to a second rabbit/cattail area under the bridge (at the cost of being more distant; the midpoint cave was actually important for warming up with, since the trip was long enough that you couldn't make it without a pit stop with early-game clothes.) 

Without these two access paths, the only way to get up on that ridgeline over Milton - and to the cave transition to Hushed River Valley, for that matter - is to bypass no less than five wolf spawns (starting from Grey Mother's house - the ones outside the bridge by Milton, the ones in the wood lot area between the bridge and the church, the spawn behind the church, the spawn on the road between the church and the trailer.) Six, if you're heading to the bridge - or rather, twelve, since your only way back is the way you came. It's no longer consistent with how map paths and access tend to go in other regions.

But what really made Milton special before - and worth visiting, despite the high difficulty of packing out loot due to the rope climbs and the absolute horde of wolves - is the hunting. The pond above the rope climb spawned moose and the bridge spawns a bear, and both have a relatively direct, sheltered route back to Grey Mother's house. It was far from safe - I was attacked twice within steps of Grey Mother's porch; Milton's wolves pulled in on me by scent - but it was better than most other areas. Plus, both spawn areas offered a good vantage point for the shot - on the bridge, you could shoot and dive into a car immediately, and the moose area you could perch on the big rock outcropping and be safe from both wolves and an angry moose trying to run you down. 

And once you got your kill back to Milton, you had one of the few safehouses in the game equipped with a six-slot stove to cook up your massive meat haul on, plus close-by outdoor storage options for it (car trunks.) 

This was balanced out by Mountain Town being, well... Mountain Town. The inaccessibility has already been mentioned, but then there's the crafting table options - the indoor one either required a rope climb or dodging four wolf spawns to get over the bridge, past the church and up the road. The other table at the farmhouse was (is) easier to get to (you had to pass through Milton but the copious car bolt-holes helped with that, and the wide-open farm at least lets you see patrolling wolves from a distance so you can time your dash and get to the door or to the tractor/car) and there's a rabbit area right outside the door and another one a short jaunt behind the place - but the table was outside, so you'd need to stock up on wood, water and food (or lug it in) before you could craft with the bear/moose hide you came to Milton for. 

Now, if you want to take advantage of that lovely six-slot stove in Grey Mother's house, you've got to book it past wolves twelve possible times, half of them while likely overloaded with some bear/moose quarters, (so slow and very smelly.) It just isn't worth it anymore, and that means Mountain Town really isn't worth visiting on Survival Mode anymore, at least for me. About a third of the map's exploitable/explorable area was already difficult to access (isolated by rope climbs; the "entry" basin from Mystery Lake and the Milton Basin itself,) and while Milton is certainly a big, tightly-concentrated looting opportunity with plenty of cars to sprint between for shelter (easier to get around Milton than to get in or out of the Quonset, I feel,) as mentioned before, packing it out is very difficult. And if you're living there for some reason, packing stuff in is just as bad. 

Maybe I just haven't adjusted to the new map yet - maybe the moose spawn has been moved to the new area by Mackenzie's crash site, or something - but if there isn't a good perch to shoot from (or the vine climb isn't close enough to dash down to avoid Angry Moose Stomp) I probably won't bother with it. People always complain about changes, I know, but so far I'm pretty bummed with MT for the foreseeable future. Anyone have a different perspective on that? 

• Upvote 2

On 12/19/2018 at 4:51 PM, Raphael van Lierop said:

That does not look right. Can you please log a bug with hinterlandgames.com/support? 

@Raphael van LieropYep I did the other day, and I just installed the 1.44 patch a few hours ago.  I'm happy to report the over the top Blue gone. Please tell the team EXCELLET JOB  resolving  the issue in a timely manner, I'm very happy.    I decided  to post a follow-up photo to the HRV "Windows Blue", attached is TWM in the morning at -59 C with Wind chill (the cabin is warmer) but in 1.41 this would have been "All Blue".  

Merry Christmas!

WIN-20181221-22-55-53-Pro.jpg

Edited by Strategizer
  • Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, Strategizer said:

@Raphael van LieropYep I did the other day, and I just installed the 1.44 patch a few hours ago.  I'm happy to report the over the top Blue gone. Please tell the team EXCELLET JOB  resolving  the issue in a timely manner, I'm very happy.    I decided  to post a follow-up photo to the HRV "Windows Blue", attached is TWM in the morning at -59 C with Wind chill (the cabin is warmer) but in 1.41 this would have been "All Blue".  

Merry Christmas!

That's great to hear!! Thanks for letting us know.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Demetrious said:

Without these two access paths, the only way to get up on that ridgeline over Milton - and to the cave transition to Hushed River Valley, for that matter - is to bypass no less than five wolf spawns (starting from Grey Mother's house - the ones outside the bridge by Milton, the ones in the wood lot area between the bridge and the church, the spawn behind the church, the spawn on the road between the church and the trailer.) Six, if you're heading to the bridge - or rather, twelve, since your only way back is the way you came. It's no longer consistent with how map paths and access tend to go in other regions.

Yeah, that's why I play Custom game mode without wolves and bears. I got tired of they always flee (Pilgrim) or always attack (all the other game modes). Others may have different experiences of course, but this is what I saw.

There is a bug right at the beginning while exploring Mackenzies garage. If you delay and then go to sleep, the time sequence needs to be night again and you wake up dehydrated. You fly dehydrated, you crash and then you wake up with 3% condition.

For beginners that will be game breaker.

4 hours ago, Strategizer said:

Merry Christmas!

??? I haven't received any update that said it fixed the over the top blue in the game.

My loading screen time increased dramatically. I really can't play the game at the moment with 30 seconds loading screen everytime I exit a house. The Interior -> Exterior loading screen takes 32 seconds now, before v1.41 it was 5 seconds at maximum.  The loading time for Interiors also increased, before it was almost instant, now it's around 5 seconds long. 

Just completed replaying Wintermute Episode One Redux, and it was a real pleasure now to have an engaging story. Hinterland, you made the right call to take your time to change a first release from a lackluster experience to an excellent one.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Vagos said:

There is a bug right at the beginning while exploring Mackenzies garage. If you delay and then go to sleep, the time sequence needs to be night again and you wake up dehydrated. You fly dehydrated, you crash and then you wake up with 3% condition.

For beginners that will be game breaker.

Report it then? http://thelongdark.com/support

6 hours ago, norup said:

Just completed replaying Wintermute Episode One Redux, and it was a real pleasure now to have an engaging story. Hinterland, you made the right call to take your time to change a first release from a lackluster experience to an excellent one.

I do want to say this - it's pretty impressive that Hinterland invested the time and money into doing it. 

I'm new to The Long Dark; I discovered it maybe six months ago at best, so I haven't been here for the whole long, tumultuous ride. All I know is that the game is a surprise hit with like a hojillion sales now, and given what everyone has said about the story mode (including the devs themselves) and my own experience I can tell right away that the game sure wasn't selling itself on Story Mode. 

And yet, instead of doubling down on the sandbox/survival part of the game that carried the title to fame and fortune and 1.0 release (viz. the safe bet,) Hinterland used their newfound wealth and a windfall of talented people from that Big Serious Official Game Company that folded to... go back and do Story Mode right, till it fit their original vision and quality level. That's not the safe bet, but I think it was the right one. And that's coming from someone who really doesn't care about story mode even now, even though I'm playing and enjoying it. I jumped right into Survival and never touched the Predux story mode, but I've done enough creative projects (mostly writing) to know firsthand how bringing a world to life requires you to know a lot more about it than the audience ever does, to make all the little details "fit," to really tie together the atmosphere. We all know how haunting and desolate this game can be, even in Survival Mode, just as a passive setting we wander through cold and alone, and I'm 100% confident they couldn't have made it that well if they didn't have that story in their heads, dear to their heart. 

It would have been easy to chase "the safe bet," but Hinterland reinvested their windfall success into realizing the vision that they started with - which speaks volumes of the passion and investment that brought them here in the first place. 

And that's coming from a guy who's first post on the forums was "They changed Milton for Story Mode so it's terrible now", so, yeah. 

Really good work. Keep it up. 

EDIT: Basically, what Sunwolf said.  

Edited by Demetrious
  • Upvote 6

Well, story mode was always the intention. It's what they originally promised on Kickstarter, so they have to deliver it in some form. Sandbox was meant be just a test bed for Wintermute. That it turned out to be so popular and could sustain the game by itself was an accident.

18 minutes ago, Serenity said:

Well, story mode was always the intention. It's what they originally promised on Kickstarter, so they have to deliver it in some form. Sandbox was meant be just a test bed for Wintermute. That it turned out to be so popular and could sustain the game by itself was an accident.

... you're telling me they stumbled into Survival Mode by accident? The survival mode I've been playing, with all the mechanics, and the balancing, and... all of it... was built into what it is now without having been the core intention to begin with? 

.... Hinterland, are you all wizards or something? 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Demetrious said:

... you're telling me they stumbled into Survival Mode by accident? The survival mode I've been playing, with all the mechanics, and the balancing, and... all of it... was built into what it is now without having been the core intention to begin with? 

.... Hinterland, are you all wizards or something? 

Yep. That is basically how it went down, or at least how it seems to have, from the outside, looking in. 

And yes, they are wizards.  With flamethrowers.

Edited by ThePancakeLady
Typo, what else?
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

And yes, they are wizards.  With flamethrowers.

Speaking of wizards with flamethrowers, sometimes as I am going through long stretches of otherwise mindless gameplay, such as trekking from one region to another, avoiding wolves on muscle memory where my mind can sort of wander, I come up with crazy ideas.  And one such idea was this:

200 years after the Long Dark, technology still hasn't returned.  Humanity was knocked to its knees, but did not fall.  It reverted basically to the early 1800's, and there it remained.  200 years of poor communication, decimation of the education system, and old superstitions returning, tales of a lone wanderer in the frozen north began to spread. The tales told of a seven-foot tall beastman, with the head of a bear, the body of a wolf, and the legs of a deer.  It would rampage through the countryside, flinging fireballs from its hands, striking fear into the heart of man and beast alike.  It was called the Mack Enzy.

Edited by ajb1978
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 4

ermergerd, been playing since sandbox, seriously, it just continues getting better and better Hinterland.

welcome by the way to all the new members and hinterland developers <3 

if you're new,  brace yourself, because the only thing that stays the same in TLD is change  WoOp!!

Posted (edited)
On 12/17/2018 at 11:26 AM, admin said:
  • [All] Male survivor can no longer be heard breathing when Survivor Voiceover is turned Off

I like most, if not all the changes I've come across so far, but this one I miss.

I play with the voice turned off but I always liked hearing him breath when he was tired. It helped the game play immersion.

Edited by Hawk
  • Upvote 1

This looks like a great update, but what about support for Xbox Play Anywhere?   Microsoft Store says it's Xbox Play Anywhere, however, there is no download for it.   I tried to install the old version on my new PC , but I get a fatal error Failed to load game assembly!.   Is there a date for the Xbox Play Anywhere download to be available?

Redux is currently available on the Microsoft Store! We also recently released a fix for the "Failed to load Game Assembly" error that was occurring for some players.

If you're still seeing that error on launch, please check that your game is updated to the latest version.

• Upvote 1

Just a question: Who can download and install Wintermute reduxe? Me who bought it in alpha state?