The Long Dark Updated to V1.41 [43925] – REDUX

Admin

4 hours ago, Cattleman said:

Also having this issue on X Box One S... Can not access the lower most row of craftable items, which include arrow shafts, arrows, and the bow.

@Raphael van Lierop just an FYI, hope to see this fixed very soon. Kind of a mega game killer if I cant hunt large game.

Ah yes. Can’t craft the bow either. The addition of the rabbit hat has pushed it down to the last row with arrow shafts and arrows, which is now inaccessible.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's an invisible barrier preventing all access to the cave next to Watchful Falls, on Hushed River Valley map. Cant climb over it,  no help crouching, cant get around it, not even when climbing a steep slope that's on the left of that point and then trying to make Your way along the cliffside towards the cave.

I hate to be that guy, because I love most of what the update brings, but I have found another bug.

I can no longer light a torch from a fire. Whenever I try it just brings up the fire interface instead. If holding a torch in hand and selecting take torch it will extinguish the held torch and take a new torch instead. I am using a Steam Controller on PC.

I have reported all the bugs I have found here: https://hinterlandgames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new I suggest anyone else finding issues does the same so that they are logged and tracked properly. Posting them here is a useful heads up for others so, they don’t get confused or caught unawares, but proper bug reports going directly to the appropriate system makes life easier for the developers and helps get stuff fixed more quickly.

So far, I'm enjoying the new pacing. I know it's being debated, but my vote is that I like the circle bars around the indicators, as it gives a better idea of whether you've got enough of a stat left to squeeze in an hour of reading. 

Some minor issues that I haven't seen other people talking about: My sound has been slightly glitchy. Just tiny little jitter pauses, where you can hear a slight crackle in the audio. Even in the opening cutscene. Not a huge deal, but kind of distracting. I also find the length of pauses in the dialog just a little strange. Like, if you ask Grey mother about something, there's silence for about a second before she starts to answer, for all her dialog interactions. It sounds like it's just taking a moment for the sound to load, but comes off like weird pacing. Or maybe my audio drivers are having issues, but that's not very likely. 
The other strange thing I'm noticing is that the graphics/lighting sometimes feel flatter. Was there any kind of new graphical setting added that could have effected this? Or could it have modified a setting that I already have? I just found things looking very grey here and there (I don't mean fog). 

Overall, wonderful new stuff, and a big thank you to the hard work done by the Hinterland team to get this out there before the Christmas holidays. You guys have made my all time favourite video game, and I greatly appreciate it! 

Hi everyone, this is my first post.

I only started playing a few weeks ago and I think the game is absolutely beautiful!

18 hours ago, Liofa said:

My only niggle upon starting up my survival game was the new tip loading screens upon entering and exiting buildings. The loading times have increased heading into and out of buildings and the picture and game tips break the immersion.
[…]
Perhaps in a future patch we can have the option to turn off the game tips screen and have the black screen back? 

That was exactly what I felt when those screens showed up. It is a nice idea but it takes away a little bit of the immersion that makes this game so special so that I would also prefer turning them off. :)

14 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

The new path to Milton was a massive improvement as well. That Predux highway trek gets a bit sketchy at times, as that's an awfully long way to go with starting gear. Dropping you right into Milton pretty much right away is a nice touch, and really accelerates the pacing.

Haven’t started Redux yet but wanted to say that I really liked in Predux that it took a while to find the road an then the town, being out there in the beginning not knowing what to expect and then finally arriving somewhere.

I should add that I bought the game knowing very little about it and jumped right into story mode so it felt really like being lost somewhere and having to figure out what to do and how and where to go.

It’s probably not an issue but to be sure I wanted to ask: If I finished Episode 1 and 2 and now start with the Redux but do not finish it, is Episode 3 still unlocked and I can just start it when it arrives or do I have to finish the Redux 1 and 2 first?

Played through Episode 1 and I must say I like it very much, it feels like the game it was always ment to be. Thank goodness you've got rid of the wall of texts and have invested into audio recorded dialog, for me this was the major immersion breaker pre-redux. I also love the well-fed buff, for 5KG extra weight limit I won't let Mackenzie starve any more ;)

Apart from the transition bug there's just a small tweek needed (to stop going back and forth): Greymother tasked me to go to the gas station for supplies, which I did. Once there I figured that I could explore the bus as well but I only found a corpse. So I went back to GM and she told me I should go explore the bus - I went there again and the "Perseverance" scene triggered. I did not have the option to have GM tell me about the bus before going to the gas station, I think this should be adjusted either by having the scene triggered no matter if GM told me to investigate or have her tell me about the bus before I go to the gas station.

Oh and one more thing: not to appear greedy but I was under the impression that with the Redux Release there will also be a new map released for Survival Mode but apparently we *only* got a new hat and challenge. Will there be a new map soon or did I misread the announcement?

41 minutes ago, cullam said:

I know it's being debated, but my vote is that I like the circle bars around the indicators, as it gives a better idea of whether you've got enough of a stat left to squeeze in an hour of reading. 

I also much prefer the new status indicators and find they give a clearer idea of the fill for each stat, especially for hunger and fatigue, which I found misleading in the previous HUD.

I'm loving the reworked dialogue in Redux. Everyone's characterization feels more natural and consistent, especially Gray Mother. I like that the new approach to town takes you past two new unsettling storytelling corpses! Love me some unsettling storytelling corpses. My very first Wintermute death happened when I paused too long staring at one of those corpses, and a sneaky wolf came up behind me to make me into one.

I've noticed the scent bars seem to be gone from both the HUD and the character status screen. Are they hiding somewhere I haven't found?

Storytelling is indeed a lot better. Grey Mother no longer holds you hostage for information. It's easier to have sympathy with her situation. MacKenzie varies between helping her because he is a good guy and helping her because he will also benefit from it. The additional information about Astrid makes her disappearance more believable. And there is no longer this weird contradiction between being in such a hurry to get to her and being stuck in Milton.

The additional NPCs fit nicely. Background info is presented better and not locked behind the trust mechanic.

On 17/12/2018 at 5:26 PM, admin said:

Well Fed. If you avoid Starvation for 72 hours, you will get a buff to Condition and Carrying Capacity. The 72-hour timer gets reset every time you begin to Starve.

Cool ! It prevents the starvation technic !

And there is an other bug : the player can't walk on the stairs in front of Carter Dam and the first stairs of the Forestry Lookout.

If you are experiencing an issue please report it via our Support Portal at thelongdark.com/support rather than posting it here. An individual post could be missed here and that would delay an issue being addressed. Using our Support Portal allows our team to get in touch with you and help diagnose what might be happening, as well as judge how widespread an issue is.

Thank you!

Sounds like a big ol' meaty update. The continued support this game receives on all platforms is just wonderful to see! It really is. My only question is, does this game still crash a lot on the PS4? I haven't played for about 6-7 months because of that very issue. It would be great if someone that plays on PS4 could give me a quick answer, as I would like to delve back into it and experience all the new content. 

Either way, great work Hinterland Studios. 

Voor alle Nederlandstaligen in dit barre stukje Canada:
Lust je wel pap van zulke verslagen van het Hinterlandteam? Maar begint het je te duizelen bij termen als 'Redux', 'decal' en 'clipping grass'? Wanhoop niet, en vervoeg je naar de Nederlandse vertaling van al dit moois. Te vinden op het voor de rest bijzonder veel op Great Bear Island lijkende Nederlandstalige deel van het Hinterlandforum. Nú met de waslijst aan wijzigingen in deze nieuwe versie van ons favoriete stukje vrieskou!

23 hours ago, Liofa said:

After playing for half an hour or so, I'm not really feeling the UI change to the cooking. The extra step every time I click on an cooking item or a stove to choose what I want to do seems a bit redundant. I know what I want to do when I click on a pot, add food or boil water etc. This extra black box only really makes sense to add a pot to the stove.

I agree with this 10,000%. 

So a major warning to people frequenting the 'Long Curve' area in Pleasant Valley.
The little frozen over lake isn't so frozen after all :)

It glitched out and I landed in the area below, stuck for good.
Just quit and reload you might say. Well I sprained my ankle falling in :(...

bummer.thumb.PNG.86c1eeaf0ecb8c089d9e03360fae4bde.PNG

First impression, after  a pretty decent Custom Interloper run, meh :) 

Beware!

Just fired up a new wintermute campaign and I immediately stumbled upon a HUGE issue - some objects seem to be transparent for some other objects. In the hangar I could see windows through walls and the plane, but the major trouble, in the real game in the ravine, the ground seems to be transparent for stars which makes just navigating around next to impossible. The same issue happens in survival mode too. See the screenshots below. I tried to fiddle around with quality settings (only a little bit though) and no luck (low, medium and high settings all have this issue). I was so much looking forward to the redux and now this :(.

I'm running Arch Linux, kernel 4.19.9-arch1-1-ARCH, graphics card nVidia GeForce 940M, nvidia driver version 415.23, Xorg 1.20.3-1, desktop environment is Gnome Shell 3.30.2. I'll gladly provide more details about my system if it helps with fixing this.

EDIT: seems this (or very similar) bug was already reported as TLDP-6534 and TLDP-6536.
EDIT 2: using -force-vulkan does seem to put the layers in order but only in the main menu scene, starting or loading a game crashes the game :(

Screenshot 1 - the very beginning after the plane crash

5c19696a4c0c9_Screenshotfrom2018-12-1822-39-28.thumb.png.a2ec0f64aca1236286f637d6ab98e83c.png

Screenshot 2 - resumed survival mode in the farm house in the Pleasant Valley

5c196b95cdfa4_Screenshotfrom2018-12-1822-48-10.thumb.png.2feafb374be44944e678c648add73254.png

I reported it as a bug already but I'm also listing it here in case others are affected by it, and can maybe help identify the specific cause.

When working towards the "Basics of Survival" side quest, the quest objectives (make 3 reishi teas, etc) have been resetting to zero if they haven't been fully achieved.  I don't know what exactly was causing that yet, but I suspect (30% confidence) that it happens when you complete another mission, while one of those Basics of Survival objectives is only partially complete.  For example, have 2 out of 3 teas complete, then complete another quest, it resets to 0 of 3 teas.  But if you fully complete it, brewing all 3 teas to complete that part of the mission, then it's safe.

Edit: I proved myself wrong just now...I completed the milton supply cache mission and I still have 1 of 3 OMB dressings showing in my journal.  (Even though I have already crafted 6 of the dang things.)

Archived