New wolf fighting mechanic

sunkbunk

Personally, I would like to start this out by saying that I have CTS which is why I enjoy more relaxed games like this one. I noticed in the settings there was an option for people with conditions similar to mine which was huge for me, so thank you to Hinterland for making that a possibility.

There is still an issue however with wolf attacks that should be addressed which is the crazed, rapid frenzy of tapping. There are several options that I've come up with that could be used to improve on wolf struggles:

Quick time events; a sequence of certain buttons pops up that you have to press in order to fight off the wolf.

Wolf mauling; similar to the bear and moose where you just let the attack happen and hope for the best. (Which is already an option, but is definitely not the intended way of fighting)

Attack/Defend options: Choose one of two buttons to either attack or defend against the wolf. Attacking might kill the wolf, but in exchange would end up with you in worse shape than if you defended.

Charged strikes; similar to the system already in place, but instead of rapidly tapping you just hold down the action button and release when you've charged up a hit. Rapid clicking could still be a viable option as well alongside this.

My guess is that the rapid clicking, simulates the "hit hit hit hit / stab stab stab stab!!!" reflex when one is attacked and thrown on the floor. That is a very primitive reaction, with both frenzy and panic involved. This way the player is immersed into the fighting. On the contrary, the bear's and moose's powers are so overwhelming, that the player can not even try to fight back. If against a wolf, you just click once and wait for the result, the risk is to break the immersion.

Now, I 100% understand that this system is a heavy problem for those who suffer CTS. My point is only that hinterland may have chosen the most immersive system over any other consideration.

2 hours ago, sunkbunk said:

Charged strikes; similar to the system already in place, but instead of rapidly tapping you just hold down the action button and release when you've charged up a hit. Rapid clicking could still be a viable option as well alongside this.

This is the ancient system, it was changed because it was too hard : players always dies.

Wolf mauling; similar to the bear and moose where you just let the attack happen and hope for the best. (Which is already an option, but is definitely not the intended way of fighting)

Absolutely not ! It makes sense that you can defend yourself against a wolf !:hatchet::huntingknife::wolf:

Attack/Defend options: Choose one of two buttons to either attack or defend against the wolf. Attacking might kill the wolf, but in exchange would end up with you in worse shape than if you defended.

Maybe but is a bit complicated...

1 hour ago, StrayCat said:

My guess is that the rapid clicking, simulates the "hit hit hit hit / stab stab stab stab!!!" reflex when one is attacked and thrown on the floor. That is a very primitive reaction, with both frenzy and panic involved.

but finally, I fully agree StrayCat that the spam click is immersive and does not require any particular concentration : it's a simple, primitive, reflex and savage reaction ! All we want in a wolf struggle !:P:huntingknife:

One of the main reason i became a professional LDRMG (Long Dark Rocky Mountain Goat) was to avoid fights I was constantly losing.  The mouse was an older wireless  piece and it was already olde a while ago.   While I am slow to click,  the response time of the mouse was also pitiful and miss click (button was finished and I did not know).  Looked into using a joystick scripting tool to input a stream of mouse clicks.  Simple software stuff and very unfair for fluffy.  Grabbed another mouse recently and suffice to say I  still am a proud LDRMG.

I wonder if keybinding the action to a keyboard key would be more helpful to you. I don't know enough about your condition, but would tapping on the keyboard be easier than the mouse? Especially if your mouse isn't responsive enough? If you're already using the WASD controls, perhaps you could react more consistently and accurately using E or R.

10 hours ago, Silverhour said:

I wonder if keybinding the action to a keyboard key would be more helpful to you. I don't know enough about your condition, but would tapping on the keyboard be easier than the mouse? Especially if your mouse isn't responsive enough? If you're already using the WASD controls, perhaps you could react more consistently and accurately using E or R.

I play on console

Archived