More craftable gear and immersion!

mayflowers5

1. Craftable dream catcher - there’s one in a lake cabin in ML - requires 3 feathers, line, and 4 sticks. Adds a perk similar to herbal tea (recover more condition), but once placed it’s too delicate to move. 
  2. There’s also trunks that I don’t see why we couldn’t move and place elsewhere or the ability to create a wooden bin to store stuff. Some “bases” have virtually no storage. I love RPing in the fire watch tower but there’s hardly any storage and not much floor space. Craftable bin - 6 reclaimed wood, scrap metal, simple tools, 2 cured leather for the straps for the lid. 
  3. Craftable clothes for each type of pelt. A set of full wolf, full deer, full bear, full moose clothing. Obviously not as possible with rabbit pelts. Each set has its own buff and special perks. Full wolf has a greatly reduced wolf detection radius, medium warmth, medium speed reduction, not particularly waterproof, average weight. Full bear has a greatly increased chance of frightening wolves, smaller bear detection radius (pretty much right in front of it before the bear realizes you’re not another bear buddy), heavy warmth, greater speed reduction, moderately waterproof, very heavy weight. Full moose has a slightly buffed detection radius making you less detectable from a distance from all animals, medium/heavy warmth, almost completely waterproof, greater speed reduction (not as bad as bear), heavy weight. Full deer increases wolf detection radius but increases stamina recovery significantly, minimal sprint reduction, light warmth, average waterproof, and light weight. All could be interchangeable as well but you would lose the special buffs.
  4. Craftable tent! Requires quality tools, fishing hook and line, three deer hides, cured gut, and 4 maple saplings. Portable like the bed roll, less warmth than snow shelter, heavy (maybe 6kg). Perfect for those times when you’re tracking a kill and the weather starts to get colder but not a blizzard worthy reason to build a snow shelter. 
  5. CANDLES! The lighting in the game is so terrible sometimes that I can’t even find my way to the bed inside trappers. Make designated candle places by the door so I can light my candle when I go in and see at least a little. Uses either lantern fuel and a tinder plug or some kind of new craftable tallow and wick or found in the world. Burns for a long time, very little heat, and can only be placed on wooden surfaces like desks, tables, and benches. Can’t be carried. 
  6. A lighter - are we to believe that no one on this Canadian island had lighters but had magnifying lenses lying around? They’re very rare, but can be refueled and decrease in condition at a similar rate to the firestriker. Maybe they have a similar buff to starting fires but can’t be used when it’s snowing. 
  7. There are paintings and drawings everywhere and I’ve seen paint cans lying around as well as newsprint. Surely our survivor can create a drawing to hang in his new abode. It can be one of the randomized ones that already exist in the game and decreases the rate of cabin fever when placed. Good way to pass the time that’s also more immersive than playing “cards” all the time. 
  8. More items to collect and display - you’d have to determine if they’re worth the weight in your inventory to take back “home”as they’re purely decorative but who doesn’t love collecting things? Maybe some old clock or a figurine or a vase. Something to make it feel like you’re living in the world and not existing in a place where you can’t actually interact with things. 
  9. Add a crafting perk! If I craft a bunch of clothing and snares, I should get better at creating those things! Make it so that as you level it up, it takes less time to make and maybe give increased item durability. Same as other skills. Could even be incorporated into mending. 

This game is amazing but it also has so much more potential! Even if you can’t implement these things, please add mod support so that we can!

20 hours ago, mayflowers5 said:

This game is amazing

Welcome to the forum @mayflowers5, these are some great suggestions.

It is nice that you have put this much thought into how each might add to TLD rather than changing the game.

The decorating items, (1,7,8), are very nice and it may even be a buff against the cabin fever affliction, (50% reduced time-indoors while sleeping).

Best of luck in your game my friend. :coffee:

Let me add,  the crafting "blueprints" may not all be readily available.   Finding blueprints as loot can add to your available crafting choices.

The survival  bow or the fishing hook blueprints maybe more common than the  improvised tools or bearskin coat blueprints .  The large trunk or tent blueprint may be very rare.

With animal fat we could at least make tallow dips. Small dishes of tallow with a lit cloth in it. It could take a can and a piece of cloth and animal fat, possibly rendered in a pot (to catch the fat). They probably wouldn't be brighter than matches but would allow one to see. Maybe only be able to use bear (they have lots of fat) and if you "render" the meat it is no longer edible thereby making a player choose to eat or render. I could probably think of more checks and balances but mainly just wanted to offer another choice for candle making supplies.

Archived