More choice of characters for survival

AlexandraRussia

I know I know, I may already be tired of someone with my own idea.
 But there is one thing.
 What if the same character I was talking about?
 At the beginning of each survival would have been wounded and the first task would be to cure him.
 But on a pilgrim it is easy, but at large levels of difficulty it would not be easy.
 Because he would have broken ribs, due to the fact that the car rolled over several times and the leg was damaged.
 Sorry if you are already tired.
 I just want to play this character.

On 1/30/2019 at 4:48 PM, Rashad82 said:

I had a similar idea in starting gear kits for players, since so much gear in the game follows different themes.

One was to have an injured skier with a full skier kit (jacket boots gloves exc) but also a broken leg that requires care.

Have a workman that come with work pants gloves boots exc... tool kit and repair skill boost... but slower growth in other stat learning.

a soldier with combat gear, several MREs and a rifle... but PTSD that causes other issues.

the goal is not to make play easier by better starting gear, just change the flavor of the challenge.

Some ability to select specific starting gear in custom might be nice, but I could see it being easily exploited.  Perhaps they could design thematic groups for the starting gear, but leave the specifics somewhat random.  So, your soldier might get combat pants and an MRE, but no rifle on one start and might get the rifle and no combat pants on another).  Perhaps they could also add the ability to select one skill book to add to the starting kit instead of arbitrarily creating fixed skill-based classes of characters.  The player already can do some of this by selecting feats.  More feats could perhaps be added so that players could earn them and then use them to enhance their characters in more different ways.

• 3 months later...

Hello again. Yes I know. the theme has been studied. But I now have another addition to my idea. You know there is a mode so to say designer in survival mode. Well, when you create your own survival. What if your survivors so it would be possible to create. So for example would be ready-made templates and the character you create. You choose his gender, race, and voice.So it would be interesting :). You'll forgive me if that is not so.

Without implementing a full stats system, different characters wouldn't really be necessary.  We currently can customize our characters by selecting which feats to take, and since there isn't currently a stat system, the effect of multiple characters can be readily achieved through the implementation of more feats.  To me, this sounds like a more reasonable ask than to create character templates.  Mainly because it leverages something that already exists in the game.

So I would suggest having each player start with new available feats that each offer a benefit but have a cost associated with it.  Such as "Overweight: Require 20% more calories, 20% resistant to injury" or "Agoraphobic: Cabin fever takes twice as long to develop.  Cannot sleep outdoors."  Or take no feats at all, and you have the current default survivor.  Feats earned through game play would continue to provide a benefit at no cost, but the default starting feats would be a "take the good with the bad" deal.

I don't really feel the need for this, myself, though I understand why it appeals to some folks. My character's story, in Survival Mode, is what I decide it is. Each of my characters has a unique nae, I imagine their backstory before I begin the game. I develop their story more as I play the save. I see the paperdoll as I would a mannequin, in a store, simply displaying the clothing and gear my character chooses to wear. Custom settings allow me to alter elements of the story in tangible ways, if I choose, as do Feats used for that character. I am free to choose items to pick up and use, or not, based on my own internal story for my character. 

The amount of work and rewriting of code to change appearance or "class", to change cosmetics, to add starting advantages or disadvantages, just seems like a lot of work for an already busy, small team of devs, and would not, in my mind, add much to gameplay for me. Though I do see the immersion factor for others, just like choosing a class in an aRPG can bring. I prefer to play tanky melee characters, while my husband prefers to play glass canon mage builds. So, I do get that.

I suppose I am neutral on the idea. I do not feel the need for it, but would not oppose it, if Hinterland choose to add more character customization. After Wintermute is done, of course. And when modding support is added in the future, I can almost guarantee there will be mods created to do just what people are asking for. And I will be one of the modders doing just that.  Pancakes everywhere, lol!

• Upvote 1

I agree with @ThePancakeLady, besides you can always use the journal to craft your own narrative for your character.  I don't see much need for "character classes," when you can just use the journal to make up your own story and outfit your survivor however you like.  Heck, if you want to do a full-on role play and use only gear like what you outlined above, you can do that without needing the Hinterland team to change the game.

Edited by ManicManiac

16 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

Heck, if you want to do a full-on role play and use only gear like what you outlined above, you can do that without needing the Hinterland team to change the game.

Lol...I kinda am.  With rifle, flare pistol, and revolver, I'm wearing combat boots and pants, military coat...role-playing that I'm a member of the Canadian Forces Primary Reserve, who was in Great Bear on a training exercise when the world went to hell. Cut off from command, and lacking any specific orders, he begins a search and rescue operation of the island.  For roleplay purposes, each lost cairn found represents a survivor rescued.  If I get all 165, I retire the character.

• Upvote 2

I know this might be a weird idea. But I agree it would be interesting if the players would brag about their survivors and wrote their stories :). And to be honest the choice of characters is too small. Personally, I know who'd like to play.Believe me it would give me strength in the game.Like a survivor. A police officer from the United States. Yes he was flying from Canada , was a business trip , vacation etc. Plane flew and fell in this storm, and then collapsed and this a man the only survivor. Each player would write his own story :). It would be interesting to read the stories of different players wouldn't it ? :).After all, the survivors can be quite different.I'm sorry if I ask too much. All at your discretion, the creators of this game.If only that would happen in the game. I know who I want to survive.Thank you for listening to my idea. And the rest is up to you.

25 minutes ago, AlexandraRussia said:

I know this might be a weird idea. But I agree it would be interesting if the players would brag about their survivors and wrote their stories :). And to be honest the choice of characters is too small. Personally, I know who'd like to play.Believe me it would give me strength in the game.Like a survivor. A police officer from the United States. Yes he was flying from Canada , was a business trip , vacation etc. Plane flew and fell in this storm, and then collapsed and this a man the only survivor. Each player would write his own story :). It would be interesting to read the stories of different players wouldn't it ? :).After all, the survivors can be quite different.I'm sorry if I ask too much. All at your discretion, the creators of this game.If only that would happen in the game. I know who I want to survive.Thank you for listening to my idea. And the rest is up to you.

Like this?

http://www.hinterlandforums.com/forums/topic/23120-a-note-left-behind/

Guest kristaok

I don't think this would work, because the two characters we have now are Will and Astrid. If we add random characters it will not match the lore at all, so I am fine with the way it is now. 

• 2 weeks later...

Do you know why I decided to propose this idea ?. Because I think. That some people would like to play a character who is the same as him. For example, a person with dark skin color probably wants to play a character who is the same as him.Well, I would for sure such a character would play. And even more so that the survivor can be any person is not it ?. Well, the main task is to survive, is not it ?.But more choice would be more interesting. And more desire to survive .

On 5/26/2019 at 2:00 AM, kristaok said:

I don't think this would work, because the two characters we have now are Will and Astrid. If we add random characters it will not match the lore at all, so I am fine with the way it is now. 

Will and Astrid are in Wintermute. Those characters cannot, and should not be changed. Wintermute is where the lore is important.

In Survival Mode, you can roleplay as anyone you like. Part of the whole "Write your own story..." idea of Survival Mode. One friend calls all of his characters "Jill", and he plays only the female character. I name each of my characters, male or female, something different, each run. The only lore wehave in Survival Mode is that we crashed in a plane, onto a remote, deserted island. The lore notes (Note Left Behind and Cairns) we find only explain the history of the island, not our characters. The rest we can make up on our own. If you chose to play only as Will or Astrid in Survival Mode, that is fine, but the devs and the game do not give us their names or their personal lore in Survival Mode, or the Challenge Modes. 

I can understand why some people want more character customization in Survival and/or Challenge Modes. I don't see it as being of great priority for the devs right now, but maybe in the future, once the game is finished, and all Wintermute Episodes are completed and shipped to us. And, this is something that could be looked by a modder, once we have full modding support.

I think the game is fine just as it is... the story mode we have is great, I wouldn't want to change a thing about that narrative... and the Survival mode is all ready all about player choice.  So I still recommend OP just do a little personal role playing and use the Journal and choice is clothing and equipment to promote their own "character build."

We don't need the game to change at all, in this respect.  I really don't like the idea of having "character classes" as a part of survival mode at all.  I think what makes the game so interesting is that that basic frame work is the same for all of us yet we all get a unique experience out if it because of the many various ways we chose to play.

For example... if people want a little more "character variety," the personally role play your character in a certain way... and only use certain types of clothing / tools (you want to make it really hard on yourself - them play as a "Vegan" character... and eat no meat or "animal products" at all (meaning no gut or hides either, mind you) - I promise you will struggle like no other to survive :)).  If for another example, you don't like the way birch bark tea will restore condition... then just choose not to use it, and just burn it for tinder.

The point is we don't need to ask for the Hinterland team to change things in order to play this game our own way... all we have to do is exercise what this game is already great at... Player Choice.

:) 

Edited by ManicManiac