n00b Youtubers?

NardoLoopa

Does anyone have suggestions on YouTubers or Twitch-casters who are at the beginning of The Long Dark learning curve?  Preferably someone who is an experienced gamer, but has never played TLD and doesn't start out knowing the mechanics.

It's not schadenfreude that I'm interested in; I just take great pleasure in watching the mind work through the learning curve.

The only way I would know that is if its old, experience TLD YouTubers in their oldest videos, trying to learn stuff. But those would usually be very old versions of the game.

I tried my hand at recording TLD for a while a long time ago - but even back then I was already pretty experienced in the game. However, it was after I took a long pause from the game, and a lot of new content came out so I was mind-boggled by some of the things that was added in my absence. Also only recorded a few vids at the time.

At great risk of my personal embarrassment, I shall provide you with both of my lists of videos.

The first was really, really long time ago, it was my first time doing vids so obviously horrible quality :D (was also really shy and introverted back then). This was in the game before it went through the first graphical update.

The second one came a few months later. The game went through a major update that changed the graphics as well, so it was a new experience... and I wasn't familiar with the new additions back then. Because of the new update, the old game saves were wiped and I couldn't continue.

Mind that these are from WAAAAY back... I was awkward and did YouTube vids just for the kicks. somewhere at 2014... shame I don't have the gear or the time to do them no more... I am much more confident as a person now, and I think I would be funnier in front of the camera as well. Would love to entertain my friends once again... :) 

Still, enjoy, it may not really be what you were asking for, but perhaps at least my awkwardness may entertain a bit :D 

(geez I just got reminded of the 2014 meme of a "mentally challenged" wolf called "moon-moon"... I should just remove these videos from the internet and do everyone a favor doing so :D)

@Mroz4k Thanks for the suggestions.  The first video probably would have semi-qualified if you had not immediately returned to ML, instead of CH, which you didn't know.  Was interesting to see the old interface.  So much improvement over the years!

I just happened to find this video from Modi Operandus; exactly what I was looking for.  It's fun to see someone get caught in their first blizzard at night, start a fire with a single book, and then decide to push down the railroad in ML, not because they know HD is at the end, but because their are electrical poles, "and they must lead somewhere".  Good stuff.

34 minutes ago, NardoLoopa said:

I just happened to find this video from Modi Operandus; exactly what I was looking for.  It's fun to see someone get caught in their first blizzard at night, start a fire with a single book, and then decide to push down the railroad in ML, not because they know HD is at the end, but because their are electrical poles, "and they must lead somewhere".  Good stuff.

I am watching that right now and so far, really good! Love the energy of the guy, and I too wish to see how a complete newbie is going to do in this brutal game. :D 

Spoilers for the first episode: 

Its quite funny and refreshing to watch that initial game struggle, the fact he walks past some very crucial stuff like the jacket on the armchair because he is still new and doesnt really pay too much attention to looting.

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 3:36 PM, NardoLoopa said:

It's fun to see someone get caught in their first blizzard

This was a great post @NardoLoopa.
What is also entertaining is two friends sitting side-by-side playing TLD, each on their own laptop; as they play they also hear each other's struggles and their shouts at the game, knowing without even looking what went wrong.
Very glad to have this new list of videos to watch. :coffee:

On 12/4/2018 at 10:12 AM, s7mar7in said:

What is also entertaining is two friends sitting side-by-side playing TLD, each on their own laptop; as they play they also hear each other's struggles and their shouts at the game, knowing without even looking what went wrong.

Wow, if that was recorded somewhere on Youtube, I'd love to listen/watch that.

I had the pleasure of sitting shotgun with two kids (14 and 16) playing the game for the first time.  What a thrill.  Once spent about 10mins trying to stone a rabbit.  Finally succeeded! . . . only to not finish the job and have it run away.  I chortled at making the same mistake.

On 11/26/2018 at 7:46 PM, Kayosiv said:

Fade Panther . . . begins a series of custom sandboxes starting with episode #12.

I'm on episode 31 or something.  Enjoying it so far.  Thanks for the suggestion.

I am curious what his custom settings are.  It seems like someone told him to play his first Survival game as something like Voyager with longer days, no sleep/HP recovery and no sprains.  Also, he starts out w/o a bedroll, I think.

Kinda a weird introduction to the game -- though I'm sure there are Deadmen in this forum who take it an a good start.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived