The name is Walker, Sleep Walker

Guest jeffpeng

Guest jeffpeng
42 minutes ago, romerabr said:

In the farmhouse, you don't need a cave. You can sleep on the porch, from the kitchen's Door. No cabin fever there. 

Ah, interesting. How warm/cold is the porch relative to the outside? As long as it doesn't have a fixed temperature like caves it wouldn't be too helpful on day 50+ interloper

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

Ah, interesting. How warm/cold is the porch relative to the outside? As long as it doesn't have a fixed temperature like caves it wouldn't be too helpful on day 50+ interloper

As far I can tell, it has fixed temperature. No need to light a fire, even on late game.

Guest jeffpeng
1 hour ago, romerabr said:

As far I can tell, it has fixed temperature. No need to light a fire, even on late game.

That's actually very interesting. I mean it's still Blizzard Valley, but it makes that farm definitively the best house in the whole game if that holds true.

6 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

Walker 3 / Days 123 to 129 - The Missing Week

On 03/12/2018 at 8:02 PM, jeffpeng said:

Walker 3 / Days 59 to 61 - Gran Turismo Sull'autostrada Costiera

On 28/11/2018 at 3:59 AM, jeffpeng said:

Walker 3 / Days 6 - Tour de Milton

It's a great idea to talk many languages, this makes the people happy (like me :P) and that allows to "integrate" them

1 hour ago, jeffpeng said:

That's actually very interesting. I mean it's still Blizzard Valley, but it makes that farm definitively the best house in the whole game if that holds true.

I have an interloper game with 350 days, tonight I'm going there and check the temperature on a regular day, and during a blizzard. 

Guest jeffpeng
1 hour ago, DarKube said:

It's a great idea to talk many languages, this makes the people happy (like me :P) and that allows to "integrate" them

"Walker 3 / Day 19 - Reise, Reise" is even German :D (Rammstein song title) as well as "Walker 3 / Days 76 to 78 - Der Gott Des Gemetzels" which is the German title of the play "Le Dieu du carnage" by Yasmina Reza

On 04/12/2018 at 12:35 PM, jeffpeng said:

At the train wreck I find scrap metal, a pry bar and 2.81l of lamp fuel

You mean, TWO POINT EIGHTY-ONE LITERS.

On 04/12/2018 at 12:35 PM, jeffpeng said:

I find Advanced Tinder, Tinder, Tinder

I'm wondering how far one could get the rifle skill firearm without ever firing the rifle.

Guest jeffpeng
1 hour ago, Drifter Man said:

I'm wondering how far one could get the rifle skill firearm without ever firing the rifle.

Into level 3 maybe if you find all there is. Further .... nah.

Guest jeffpeng
20 hours ago, DarKube said:

Can you post your stories in videos, I'm french and for me it's hard to read (and you won’t have to write this loooongs text:D)

I'm not much of a narrator. Plus actually making videos - which even at minimum level includes cutting, footage selection, rendering, etc - would completely kill my time budget I am already over-using for TLD. And yes, all of that would have to be included, because nobody wants to watch a 4 hours video of some random doode playing TLD. What people want to see is 10-15 minutes condensed gameplay or actual streams, and having a family and an on-call job - two factors that make it impossible for me to just shut the door and play 2 hours straight - streaming is out of the question. Plus I would guess being French it's even harder to listen to a German talking English with a notable accent. Maybe I will make a gameplay videos at some point, but then it'll be another format than this and I really don't want to make any promises.

20 hours ago, cullam said:

-1 for the videos. As much as I understand the difficulty of language barriers, there are plenty of streamers out there, and I enjoy your writing style for these. 

I agree. There's this and there's that. Streaming has its "market" but it's clearly saturated. Opposed to that only a handful of people are writing Survival Stories / Logs on these forums. As much as I do this for myself I like getting some recognition, and my stories are actually quite well read here on the forums. Don't think that many people would bother on youtube or twitch. Thank you for liking the style!

13 hours ago, Sito said:

I also enjoy your writing style. Keep it coming! :)

Thank you! And I will, albeit a bit slower from now on since I've got quite a lot of work up until the holidays and following that as well.

13 hours ago, romerabr said:

-3 C even on a strong blizzard. Checked with 350 days vanilla interloper. 

Alright then. That pretty much makes it more than just valid. Maybe I will consider it in a another run!

Guest jeffpeng
1 minute ago, DarKube said:

Ok, I understand and I agree, it is right to you are very involved in the forum, and, I agree, despite my limited knowledge of English, you have a great writing style:x.

I was just disappointed to can't read your very interesting stories:$

Maybe I'm a bit anglo-centric here, but in my very much humble opinion English is a language that gets you pretty far in the internet age. It's worth learning ;-)

On 2018-12-12 at 7:12 AM, Drifter Man said:

You mean, TWO POINT EIGHTY-ONE LITERS.

Depends on what difficulty.  On Voyageur or Stalker there are going to be more gun books (but there will also be actual guns for you to fire at woodland creatures, so just reading about shooting without doing it is kind of a silly exercise).  On Interloper I know I have found two copies of Guns, Guns Guns! along with the typical 3-4 copies of the Frontier Shooting Guide.  I don't know how many points per level it takes, but that is enough for 40 or so points worth of Firearms skills.

Guest jeffpeng

Walker 3 / Days 130 to 133 - Back To The Start

The day starts with getting barked at leaving the house to take a look at the weather and the appropriate response. More food. Archery V is worth all the lengths it takes to get it. A second wolf miraculously dodges an arrow and is saved by a blizzard. Today should be the day I make my first test-move to Grey Mother's. It takes until 5 pm for the weather to calm down. I get going in snowy weather and wonky visibility.

screen_99eceb8e-6262-49c5-86e1-9a81ca95df05.thumb.png.318e51f185b8a5f45b1d7319bedbc7b4.png
Back to Grey Mother's!

I am met by no opposition and store a few things before I make it back to the farm. Making the move should be rather easy to achieve. I only find the one pot I left here almost 3 months ago. With the three at the farm that makes four. Looks like I will take a final trip to Trapper's to actually collect on two more - but that has some time. 

I make my second move the next day and get surprised by cold, harsh winds halfway to Grey Mother's. A circumstance that costs me 6% health. It's already late in the afternoon when I make my second tour. On the way back to the farm a rabbit falls prey to a wolf which regrets his catch almost immediately. 

On the third day I don't get going before noon. Too much did I lose yesterday for thinking I could cut a few corners. Clear skies grant me a free fire halfway to Grey Mother's to warm up. Approaching Grey Mother's two wolves are roaming the premises. I fire the one that spotted me away, but not see myself on the wrong side of a river I don't know how to cross. I crouch along and shoot two wolves, sadly both survive and take off with my arrows. I return to my fire and wait.

screen_a00facee-40ba-498b-a2b9-ff40c2d25c5c.thumb.png.82fdd09a7bb3346ab5541a2e1e848ca6.png
No place safer than a fire.

The first wolf dies not far from my fire, and I can recover my arrow. Carrying some wolf meat as smell-bait a third wolf runs into an arrow, while a forth wolf lets the arrow that should have taken him out bounce off its head. Limping he returns and catches the next arrow with the eye. Unfortunately I do not recover the second wolf I shot alongside the arrow. I harvest most of the three wolves I got and cook it at the house. As I suspected: I need to be careful, but it's doable. The sneaky, arrow shooting crouch ninja will prevail.

I start the next day hacking down surplus furniture, planks and crates in the house to stack up a bit of firewood. With a blizzard raging outside it's not like I could be doing much else with my time. I actually end up tiding up the storage room upstairs as much as I can. I get going at 11 am, and even shoot a deer from the hip that I plan to harvest on my way back. I make my first trip, and as the sun comes out when I'm already on the second I stop by the deer, maglens a fire - but cannot sustain the fire in the winds.

I make my last trip to the farm, and on the way back I can finally cash in on the deer. I bring home half of it, but return shortly after to get the other two bags. I spend the rest of the evening harvesting the quarters and organize things in my new, probably final home.

Guest jeffpeng

Walker 3 / Day 134 to 138 - Coming Full Circle

Today's first topic on the agenda is getting a few things to the trailer. The one major drawback to Grey Mother's is the total lack of a workbench. Luckily the trailer isn't too far away, and it even has a fire barrel outside. I'm basically bringing everything I can't use without a work bench: most guts, all my sapling, arrow shafts, feathers and arrow heads, bear and moose hides, plus some quality tools to help with arrows.

Approaching the church a wolf spots me, but a point blank head shot solves that. Close again. While I have gotten really good at shooting charging wolves I should stop relying on my CS:GO talents too much. Freezing I enter the church and warm up. When I finally approach the trailer a stag greets me and asks if he can help me out in any way. I gladly accept his offer. I end up taking only the meat in short sessions while I warm up at the trailer in between as I have no good spot to sustain a fire near the animal.

While I cook a wolf is drawn to me because I neglected to drop the newly cooked meat. I manage to shoot him, but again the arrow just bounces off of him. I wonder what the underlying condition for this kind of behavior is. Shortly after I bait the wolf in again and serve him his demise. While I harvest the wolf another one approaches, but I manage to retreat to the fire in time. Shortly after I snipe him as well.

screen_ccb8e1df-75e7-4c6a-a2f2-c935104b2b26.thumb.png.66c1a2419db2b39d624d50ffa1b69994.png
Can you see the wolf?

screen_18beafc7-e61b-4fe3-8568-9ab455baebb0.thumb.png.03c60f274c10c88d3d96dc2a9e544ddb.png
How 'bout now?

I end up harvesting both wolves as well, and cook all of the meat I gathered. While this helps me to setup the trailer as a rather luxuriously supplied base the day ends here as I keep cooking deep into the night. 

I get up at 8 the next day. I have breakfeast stuffing my face to maximum capacity and then craft a few arrows to pass time. At noon the world outside is so foggy I decide to stay in a bit longer. When I finally get going it is almost 6 pm with still light fog, and I used up all the arrow heads I had for new arrows. At least... it's warm. At the pond above Grey Mother's I get the drop on yet another wolf. The scales who's hunting who really have turned.

screen_56f0c43b-664e-4a6a-b5f5-ea3fc8fb8278.thumb.png.7234ee5c8ae58660df2b3d205e666cb2.png
Never saw it coming: A wolf.

I loot a few rose hips at the nearby camp site, but then decide to turn back. Facing a bear in the emerging night and freezing isn't my idea of a good time. 

Fixing headgear is my morning pass time the next day. After having yet another breakfeast I get going at 10. This time I travel via the Hushed River Valley Cave where I quickly warm up. At the car next to the camp site I find nuts'n'stuff and a pack of matches. This late into the game I didn't expect to find either any more. Great! 

At the bridge I already see the bear and decide to wait. I make a fire next to a car and warm up inside until the bear comes strolling to towards me. I get out, crouch, shot, hit and dodge back into the car before the bear can even get upset. The result looks like this:

screen_add860a1-4651-4e27-a8d4-b24866c20b48.thumb.png.ea156f988c5d5166be29c7350e79796a.png
Doesn't have an antenna: A bear.

It doesn't take long for the beat to succumb to his injuries and end up like another animal assembly set.

screen_bc8fbf90-1d99-4e22-bc56-f6ed635c02cd.thumb.png.ee4fa5033bacdb4c58d5030cf40daf8d.png
He probably imagined his retirement differently.

I pack a few distracto-guts, the hide and two backs of meat and make my way back to the Hushed River Valley Cave, hoping I have cleared all the wolves on the way. At 9.63 kg per bag and six bags in total the bear was a smaller specimen at just 28.9 kg. But that's still a mountain of high calorie meat. I dump the first two bags at the cave and head back out.

Back at the bridge I need to make camp to stay warm and decide to use the time I spend to warm up to harvest another bag. Then winds stir up and make leaving a not so enticing proposition. I decide that as long as the fire goes I might as well stay here. But the fire eventually does die and I decide to make it to the cave that ultimately leads to the plane crash. I reach it with moderate 3% condition loss. I end up harvesting all of the 4 bags and cook a good portion of it before I get to sleep in the cave. 

When I wake up the cave is brightly lit - it's already midday. Upon reaching the other end a blizzard greets me - so I sleep some more... and then wait. And wait. When I get going in harsh winds it's already 5 pm. The wolf on the way catches an arrow which eating a rabbit. But in the harsh weather I have no time to lose. I reach the plane and find my 9th and final stim, but returning the way I came is out of the questions with the winds being what they are. I hastily grab all the firewood I can and end up ..... in the Cave were I started 135 days ago. I've come full circle.

screen_bce54473-85c6-4025-9dd4-f72ceb46e8bd.thumb.png.21d6a62b295b1bbd5cf47b1c01ced589.png
We've been here before.

I warm up and fire away two coal to get new torches and refuel on water. Then I get going in a windy but clear aurora night. I cash in on the cattails and reach the cave without taking further freezing damage.

I get going the next day at 12 pm and make it without contest to the Hushed River Valley Cave, and after two trips from there to the Trailer I've got everything I wanted to bring, with still two more bags to harvest and a lot of bear to cook. After harvesting everything and collecting some more firewood I go to sleep.

Guest jeffpeng

I will not update this until 2nd week of 2019 at least. But at this point I'm not sure I will continue at all. Quite a few things have changed in the world, and the update to fix a lot of the broken Custom mode settings makes wonder what difficulty I am actually on now. Walker 3 was very successful, and that without a lot of RNGeezuz' intervention. I just played most of my cards very well and didn't make any major mistakes. Plus the only region that still is worth some exploring is HRV. Not that I don't like HRV - I love it, in fact. But there isn't much to gain, and it would be basically a walk through as well equipped as I am.

We'll see. Maybe Walker will return - maybe not. But in any case I'm happy I got this far. 138 days is the most I've ever gotten in an Interloper-or-harder game.

13 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

the update to fix a lot of the broken Custom mode settings makes wonder what difficulty I am actually on now

The Well Fed buff actually makes all Sleepwalking modes easier, since it's basically a nobrain free buff for anyone playing this mode. That was great reading your stories, and thanks a lot for trying this mode :D

JeffPeng4.thumb.png.555602721e11deb83ad28340f71be106.png

Funny, I retired Bareskin7 at day 138 too.

Archived