group survival

kopo79

i just remembered this yesterday when i was thinking co-op in long dark and how great addon would it be but what i have readed from devs...
not gonna happen...
this idea could be hardcoded and impossible to achieve but somehow...long dark should have some social aspects...
https://steamcommunity.com/app/305620/discussions/6/2549465882932002047/?fbclid=IwAR1VpvGMjCCa3mWRVkvvy2aV-Jta_xMMyXifZXvIDFqUe7e93PfG5AG3-YU

so got this idea in multiplayer thread.

you spawn in world as a first survivor. 
there is no frozen npc corpses in world(not yet)
your only task is to survive.
you can write journals,leave notes in places of your adventures,create your own survival hideout with your stuff...then pack of wolfs attacks you...you fight for your life but your body becomes frozen corpse near miltons church.game over.

then spawns next survivor in random place...he starts his adventure...now he can find first corpse at the church,or find first players notes,journals,hideouts...
but he dies also.

then comes next survivor and next and next and next...and after some amount of players,someone is last survivor...when he dies,group sandbox is over.
its not coop,its not multiplayer...players never play same time....

of course,there gonna be notes like...sniff my pants or some sort of that but for more adult and more serious gamers,would be something with the interaction:)

how this go technically point of view...maybe impossible:D

so after every survivor,the world is little bit different place...ofc loot would be default at start for every survivor but additional loot would be in different places...
...few notes on tables,notes on on dead survivors backpacks...
it would be so fun to find previous survivors corpse and took the loot,read notes...buffer memories would be also player made then. 

• 3 weeks later...

This idea has been around the bloc a couple of times, it wont happen because the game doesnt record that sort of information about the players. The game would have no way to get the neccesary data to everyone this way.

But, for a moment lets assume it would work - then the problem comes with immersion. Regardess of how many people would be recorded this way, certain spots would become "graveyeards" - the places where most people end up dying. It would not pan well if the player could not run across a single body but then came to Coastal town and there were scores of corpses.

It is a cool idea, quite creative so be proud of it :) but still, not very likely.

It might work as a set of rolling missions ...

Player one works for an aid agency and is dropped off at the dock in Desolation Point, tasked with carrying an aid package to Milton.  When they die it's classed as never having reported back and someone else is sent (player 2) to find out what happened, and so on.

It would need a way for loot tables to be updated based on player actions, and may need additional NPCs as info givers, but it'd be a lot of programming for essentially another game mode.

I like the idea of this....save for one thing... looted gear resetting....... NOPE gone is gone...making it progressively harder for the next person.. should you happen to come across a dead survivor.. then yes anything they had left could become yours ...right down to the underwear...

It would make for interesting gameplay... Would you only take what you need knowing that someday someone might follow in your footsteps...

Would you leave notes on where you might have left a cache, or where you were headed or would you scavenge every available scrap of anything...

Nethack used to have a "Graveyard" server that would issue "Bonesfiles" to subscribers.   Bonesfiles are basically what you're referring to: the state of the game from the last player.   For Nethack, your "bones" were a grave with all your former loot . . . cursed.  There was also whatever killed you on the level.  So, getting a random bonesfile was a 50/50 proposition.

Something similar could be setup for TLD, as long as HL put the following hooks in place:

- The ability to save the state of "stuff" in the world to an exportable file

- The generation of a corpse at point of death; perhaps prompting the recently dead player to author a final note. (limiting to 120chars would be humorous)

- The ability to load the "stuff"-file into a new game

The size of the file would be affected by whether "all stuff" was preserved, or whether only the grave-site was preserved with the rest of the world loot would be generated new.

With the above, the actual storage, conveyance and organization behind how the files were used would be external to HL.  Forum threads could coordinate a team-run, where one user passes their bonesfile to the next person on the team.  In fact, multiple people could play the same bonesfile.  Or a central repository (Graveyard server) could be setup to download the files.

A word of caution: The existence of "bonesfiles", would make it ultra-easy for anyone to doctor their game in any way they wanted: want to start with a rifle, 100 rounds,  all the books, and bearcoat?  Sure, just change a few lines in a vanilla bonesfile.

• 3 weeks later...

if i recall my few survival try-outs correctly,you could find my body in ravine and drifting somewhere on seas...:D
but nice to see that someone answered...i allready thought that no-one didnt understand my propose.

On 11.12.2018 at 9:29 PM, Moll said:

When one player is playing his story, what about others players who are waiting in the qeque for their time? Also storage of informations about stuff, notes, bodies would be hard for servers.

yeah...that is quite tricky.but if this would be possible,i would be part of it right away...
i would just play my own survival modes,challences and story mode while waiting ...and when time comes.i would be ready.
and after that group survival is ended,you could see stats about who lasted longer,walked longer etc...

Archived