Newbie Survivor Log

tulkawen

Guest jeffpeng
On 5.1.2019 at 12:42 AM, tulkawen said:

my health is not really recovering, i wander if it doesn't in snow shelters

It does. But short periods of sleep don't work well on Interloper. It's preferable to sleep longer continuous periods to actually get meaningful results. It basically works like this: The longer you sleep the more % you get per hour, but sleeping more than 10 hours will not help since you'll lose condition from thirst after that.

On 7.1.2019 at 4:07 PM, tulkawen said:

I can't understand how much punishment I take from ill effects

The amount of damage you take is the same on all levels of play, and @BareSkin stated them correctly. The problem is that you reach the points where you take damage much, much quicker. 

I personally would rank fatigue even higher than thirst. While, yes, it costs only 1%, it has many other secondary, potentially detrimental effects. You are slowed because your carry capacity is effectively halved, it is effectively impossible to "win" a struggle with a wolf, you cannot sprint, the probability of contracting sprains skyrockets, and you can't aim for shuck. Being hungry or thirsty has no secondary effects (unless you count losing 'well fed' as a such). But yeah. The cold is the true killer, especially on Interloper. You don't only freeze faster, it's also colder and your clothing is worse.  However, once you are freezing .... it doesn't matter what difficulty you are or how cold it is. You'll die from  -1°C FL on Voyageur just as fast as -40°C FL on Interloper - at exactly 20% per hour.

4 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

The problem is that you reach the points where you take damage much, much quicker.

That's a very much in detail review. :) Thank you!

Can you clarify this part please? Do you mean when conditions stock pile or if for ex you're in blizzard and you freeze, then you take more than 20? It's the same freezing condition but you're getting hammered more? Or its something invisible like you're not cold but you have wet clothes?

Yep, cold is absolutely evil on Loper. :D You basically cannot choose the weather because there is no food so you must always be outside and outside is I consider anything to -10 picnic now. Another thing I've noticed is that zero sometimes counts as white and sometimes as red, I'm wandering if it's due to wet clothes or another reason.

It's fairly accurate about -1 and -40, you just reach hypoth much earlier when it's colder, so the survivor at -1 would have a few extra minutes to travel farther to save their bacon. In my last Loper game I had the wickedest start to date, basically unknown map and -51C blizzard crashed in one minute into game play. Anyway, my survivor walked for hours in that and even climbed two scary ropes. So it takes several hours to kick the bucket.

However, it still helps knowing vital points on the map. Actually, in order to get better at Loper you must play Loper and not another mode. Voyager experience only helps this much. For example, the matches are vital. I had a couple of starts in Pleasent Valley and now I know a place where I always find matches and where they might be available also areas not worth taking the travelling beating for or at least at the start of the game. I also have one idea which I haven't tested yet. If I do end up in PV again I'll test it.

Edited by tulkawen

15 hours ago, tulkawen said:

I don't like it at all that we no longer have %. ¬¬ It was extremely helpful in terms of learning and managing the game.

The same thing happened whit in-game time before I started playing TLD: veterans had been used having "remaining daylight time" in hh:mm, that helped micromanaging. It's been removed for the "sun clock", and I personally thin it's better, and more realistic. With removing the health% they did the same move, anti-micromanaging, while I loved to know this value (from scientific POV), I like the new way better, you know "roughly" if you're fine or not, and that's all that matters.

15 hours ago, tulkawen said:

I'm also wandering about this well fed buff. I just stuffed my character full and didn't get any indication or message about a bonus. ¬¬

Stay unstarved for 72h, nothing to do with being full or not. But maybe on Voyager being full lasts you 72h (never played Voyager, no idea)

16 hours ago, tulkawen said:

Either the bar shows crooked or the way it went down most assuredly wasn't 1%. That just took this chunk out of my health

That would actually be a good news if calories-activities were not free anymore when you're starved, right? But I highly doubt it, I've been sawing metal starved for 3h on my Sleepwalker4 run, with no visible special penalty.

Another thing I wanted to ask is whether we're losing health while under affliction such as frostbite threat but no longer exposed.

No, not health. but you sleeping recovery is not as good as when you're fine.

What about regeneration? I'm guessing around 30% if you're lucky. I figured one solid chunk of sleep is best, but in terms of how it recovers, it's ambiguous.

It's not ambiguous. I would direct you to this link and this one too. I've tested extensively the Interloper curve during my Bareskin7 adventure, my best Interloper so far. A 10h sleep brings you back 32% to 42% health. I didn't manage to pinpoint why the differences, the bed/place/map you're in plays a part, I guess the weather/temperature during the night too, and of course if you're under Herbal influence.

So basically, you're nearly dead (10%) after fighting a bear? Build fatigue running around your house, sleep 10h, eat some pretty bad food to get poisoned (drains fatigue again), take reishi or antibiotics, sleep 10 more hours. That's the recipe for coming from "dead" to "full life" in less than 24h, plus 1500 calories and some water, playing the hardest "official" mode in the game.

I copy here some science from @Ruruwawa to give you an idea of the curve shape. This is for Custom Settings Low, the Interloper one goes higher (it's Medium):

SleepRestLow-ruruwawa.png.0219efeff2264c64129a66c5508d84e9.png

Of course now that health % disappeared from the UI, verifying or updating such science is not going to happen anymore, but you get the main idea.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, BareSkin said:

never played Voyager, no idea

You started with stalker or loper than? That's pretty wicked. :D What I found about Loper and Voyager is that if I want to relax or if I'm not feeling well, voyager is very good for it. Meanwhile, I need to be quick and alert for Loper (and also play it in shorter bursts). It keeps you in constant tension, or maybe in the future it will become easier for me, but not at present.

So basically, you're nearly dead (10%) after fighting a bear? Build fatigue running around your house, sleep 10h, eat some pretty bad food to get poisoned (drains fatigue again), take reishi or antibiotics, sleep 10 more hours.

In rl certain poisons cure in the correct dozes, funny in this case it helps too. I'd imagine being really tired after a bear though.

plus 1500 calories and some water, playing the hardest "official" mode in the game

Where in blazes do you get 1500 calories on Loper, I find that much in a week. :D

Back to my Voyager game.

Day 44

- eww blizzard

- let's finish reading the wilderness kitchen and begin on the hunting book 1h

- checked the basement again, found a flashlight and shooting guide until weather improvement

- there is a river behind the silo, a wolf heading to it, hope he isn't into skating because i'm going there too

- this river sure is cattail stingy, in heavy snowfall the deer look like ghosts, steep banks, finally a way up and rosehips

- gathering... lalala... bark! bark?? back away into the center of the ice and pull out the rifle

- where is the bark? .... ... is this bark coming to get me or not? ... i'm not getting any dryer

- as i start climbing the bank i see him on the rocks, he turns his back and goes away, lazy wolf, or maybe well fed by so many bunnies and deer around, why eat some skinny, wrecked survivor

- hello pretty hut, do you have drycleaner? my clothes are 50% wet, but first gather food around the hut

- read 2h and sleep one; it's still around noon

- a rope i cannot climb encumbered, i wander if there is a path around to that upper platform, let's search

- which way am i walking again? i think this is where the wolf went, best get my rifle out, i always miss when they charge but sometimes they get scared of the gunshot itself

- this was a good idea to walk on hills with a rifle out, say hi to dual sprain

- i'll just use the painkillers on the wrist and keep limping to a bridge, i think this hill can be climbed, indeed it can be

- boulders, snow, boulders, pines, not much for sightseeing, there goes my second ankle, having to sprains apparently makes me walk straighter than with one

- all right which wise guy just flipped the weather switch? we have a blizzard here

- negative 7 even with all my clothes, uh oh, used painkillers on all owies and swallowed a candy bar

- not that i wasn't lost, but seeing is always helpful when going anywhere

- hi frozen guy on what looks like a snow path

- the path takes me to the hunters blind. there are matches, a rifle cleaning kit and 2 arrows

- sadly i cannot build a fire in the shelter of these walls; below the stairs it's too windy

- negative 16, uh oh, i'm too rich to die. i haven't even worn out my expedition parkas yet

- hi hypothermia, hope you aren't planning to stay, the wind bends the pines like matches

- climbing uphill who knows where until i see a house... no it's a barn... wait this is great! it's actually zero in here and it has sheltered stove

- there are two cedar logs but it's close to night time and it might get colder, i need more firewood

- i can make out some big limb uphill or maybe a tree trunk? hope i can hack a big chunk off

- hmm... what's this submarine hatch doing next to this limb?  

- hello safe and warm bunker! i get a luxurious choice of two beds! let's make it homely and organise the lockers

- finish reading the archery book, less weight to carry

- i should try to sacrifice more items for mobility, hard to pick what to leave behind, sharpen hatchet and knife to max and leave the whetstone

- eat well and sleep even better, that was a tuff day, it was possible to go pushing up the daisies, getting lost in blizzards does that even well armed and dressed

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

On 07/01/2019 at 3:07 PM, tulkawen said:

I wander if it's possible to turn back on the % on the health bar. I don't fancy this update when it disappeared.

I tend to be in agreement with @BareSkin regarding this. I’d rather have no numbers at all displayed and have to use guesstimates. Having exact numbers allows you to be super precise and efficient in your decision making but I don’t feel it suits the feel of the game. When I fly a spacship in Elite Dangerous having lots of numbers to help guide my decisions feels thematically appropriate but playing as a survivor stumbling through the wilderness that precision of information feels wrong.

You can still get some % condition information if you want it, but not directly. The journal still records the minimum and maximum % condition for each day. This includes information for the current day, so if you started they day at 100% and  then loose a bunch of condition due to the cold you can look at the last day in the journal and it will show something like 80%-100%, indicating you have lost 20% condition. You only get the min and max so, you can’t track any in between states, but you can get useful information on how stuff effects your condition. Using this trick I’ve recently learned that, for Stalker at least, the well fed buff raises max condition to 105% (it’s the carry buff that makes the biggest difference) and that intestinal parasites drop your max condition by 2% per day.

Oh, and are you really still clonking around in a pair of ski boots? It would be nice if they offered some protection from sprained ankles but that doesn’t seem to be the case. Take a good look at their stats (yeah I  know ;)). They would be my choice of footwear for wrestling bears during blizzards but not much else.

Edited by Czhilli
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Czhilli said:

Oh, and are you really still clonking around in a pair of ski boots? It would be nice if they offered some protection from sprained ankles but that doesn’t seem to be the case. Take a good look at their stats (yeah I  know ;)). They would be my choice of footwear for wrestling bears during blizzards but not much else.

:D Those ski boots certainly have minuses I am not fond of and I always waffle a lot between all the clothes picks, not just shoes.

I think I ended up picking them after much hesitation because this has been confirmed on Loper and also very real during the first week of the voyager run while you're still getting resources, the cold is the biggest impairment in terms of exploring or doing any outside activities. If you're cold you have to focus on running shelter to shelter or micro managing and planning. The ski boots offer the highest protection from cold. The goal of the current game is to look around as much as possible. I've  scratched the surface of many maps, so, when I travel I get lost all the time. My current survivor only gets threatened by cold if I am getting hit by a blizzard, otherwise, she can stomp along like a tank from one end of a map to another in almost any weather and not be distracted from sight seeing. I think the time pressure only comes at the end of the day so you don't get stuck outside in the dark, but during the day I can relax and count the birdies.

I have stashed the insulated boots, which would be my second choice after the ski (and higher waterproof I think) or the deer boots can be crafted, which is my other choice. I might swap out of the ski boots in the future. I don't want to craft at present and if I do I'd upgrade my gloves. I think bunny mittens are way better than any loot gloves I've seen so far. This might be my goal after I do certain stuff. I don't really know what's considered the best ultimate shoe every fashion survivor wants in this game, aside from my pick of top 3.

Yeah! Those sprains are wickedness! I think they increase when you carry too much , so I'm just asking for it. At some point I've been dragging 39/30 kg. A LOT of it is food that's under 50% and since I'm not hunting or living off the land I'm dragging it around. If I do want to lighten the pack though, there is a convenient way with food to do so. :D

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, tulkawen said:

I don't really know what's considered the best ultimate shoe every fashion survivor wants in this game,

I think the leather brogues look rather dapper, but they aren't particularly practical.

You are right that choice of footwear, as in everything else, comes down to your priorities. I put a higher value on reducing weight and having good mobility than you do. Of the found footwear I find the mukluks to be the best all rounder, and they look pretty snazzy too. But, I wear nothing but deerskin boots once I've made them because they can take more of a beating. 

Edited by Czhilli
  • Upvote 2

On 1/13/2019 at 9:24 PM, tulkawen said:

You started with stalker or loper than? That's pretty wicked.

All my Survival modes have been on Interloper (or worse), but I learnt the game during Hardened Survivor Wintermute before that (that's where I died millions of times), and the Lighthouse Challenge.

7 hours ago, tulkawen said:

I don't really know what's considered the best ultimate shoe every fashion survivor wants in this game

Certainly the Mukluks. Funny enough, there's a brand of slippers in Canada (and maybe US?) with that name, that's a good find for any TLD girl-player.

On 1/13/2019 at 9:24 PM, tulkawen said:

Where in blazes do you get 1500 calories on Loper, I find that much in a week.

2r8d2w.jpg.6579d708f4e736b54a697b044ba013ff.jpg

• Upvote 2

Day 45

- wake up and smell the rosehips; what's out the hatch?

- oh right the backpack in the barn, yuck 5% candy bar, yay a field dressing book

- a red rope is beckoning up, this looks like an end area, the only way is back down, so it's worth checking out what's there

- i'm going to eat all this food until i'm 100% full, i've never eaten to a cap before and this will make the climbing much easier

- there is a snow corridor and a lot of howls are coming from my travel direction every step of the way

- fall into transition zone; Timberwolf Mountain? sounds promising! i would have liked bunny soufflés area instead but i'll take what i can get  

- a big airplane wheel is buried in snow... um... this is suspiciously familiar? is this my airplane?

- studying the wreckage suspiciously makes me almost walk into a moose

- Mooo!! no no! no moo! i was just leaving! sprinting! i already left! no need for moo!

- it's a lake and a fishing hut, i'm not super impressed since no door, even though wolves aren't suppose to enter these structures i still feel like they'd grab my leg and pull me out if i'm fishing or doing anything else with my back turned

- let's examine that house on the shore, its stairs are slippery, need funny angle to enter

- interesting, no load door, just open and close, plus a workbench, a lovely fireplace stacked with wood

- psssshh!!! wasn't there a decently grey weather five minutes ago? i can see the snow slashing through a fish like hole in the door

- lets swipe the same hat for a newer one and read a bit before sleep

@BareSkin

*takes out a hatchet and knights BareSkin with it*

Good Ser! I challenge you to a test!

You must survive 30 days on each voyager map with a single survivor.

The drop location is random and you are map locked on all of them.

Once night 30 ends you must move to a new map before the moon appears above the horizon regardless of the weather. You may take one item of your choice with you. The rest stays behind, including the clothes.

If you are on a map which has no alternative exit but the previous map, you may use your former items while travelling across to a new map, but it's one item limit when you exit. You may swipe. And remember about the moon and ball sleigh turning into pumpkin.

The transition mines and the hydro dam itself are considered part of any zone they are attached to, but you may not make loot stashes in them. If you pick up a treasure cave item while living on a certain map it r belongs to that map now and must be left there once the magic clock rings 30th day. You may sleep in these mines, but consider exits to the other side locked unless it's the migration day.

Feats: nope.

Edited by tulkawen
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Day 46

- the new day dawns and i ask what's across the lake? five wolves i bet, the map has to live up to its name, i take it the moose scared off the wolves from the lake or i'd see them

- can't blame them, i'm scared of him too, i like my ribs

- there is a bear, lets sneak past the big fuzzy, what a sneaky rope in a niche, i thought it was a cave at first

- picked up more food from that hut and the weight is back, lets eat these 29% beans and drop two cans, why am i carrying cans, lets drink coffee too

- there are howls coming up the rope, it's a long one too, pant gasp, lots of stamina there

- this is some amazing view from the edge, i believe there is a steep path going uphill

- drink more coffee, this is a long path

- one wolf finally shows up far below and howls all lonely

- an airplane engine is over here, i'm glad these aren't my pieces scattered around the mountain along with the airplane

- what's this tree pointing at? a deep cave to explore! so far i'm enjoying this area

- flat stones attached to a wall lead downward in a semi-circle, i had almost taken a fall by walking straight ahead

- abandoned campfire at the bottom, coal and fir logs; the adventurer has mitten, iffy peaches, a flare and one bullet and painkillers, i want those, thank you

- i actually want the flare, i thought my lantern is full, but it's about 80% and i don't want to rush through this cave

- finding lots of firewood, that's good since i can use the torches too

- gurr? that's a strange sound effect, must be the water or a very sneaky bear digesting something like the previous adventurer

- light ahead, i'll go back and check the branched off tunnel too, i think this might be a circle

- nothing remarkable, let's go out! a path up, up is good! interesting, this spot is called a cave but it's open, more like a mountain overarching it

- campsite for a bedroll and a knife and mre... on loper I'd hide a bedroll here

- this cave is an intersection

- can you eat trees? are you JOKING? you've eaten all your food till no more space twice, oh well i have more food than i can carry, lets have iffy peaches and drop a can to mark the road i came from

- so many howls around, i wander if i could climb this slanted tree just in case, nope, oh its an arrow tree

- found a rope down, nawh, i want to go up. I'm going to climb to the top of this mountain and plant my socks flag at the highest point

- back at the intersection, lots of paths to choose from, i don't really want to go back to that first cave since that is backtracking

- followed another route, light snow falls, a tip of the moon is peeking out, i have gotten extremely lucky with the day, no wind and clear blue for full sun up

- cave ahead, not a big one, i don't think fluffy residents have a need for cedar logs, probably not a bear cave

- made a stash of extra bedroll, knife, mittens and a torch in case a Loper survivor comes by, such treasure

- i wander if i should chop up a fir limb in case it gets cold, the wind is picking up, nah, i have two coal pieces and sticks, drop that too btw

- peaches and dogfood dinner, add 2 cans to the treasure pile

- craft and sleep

CHYcTPi.png

Edited by tulkawen
  • Like 2

Day 47

- woke up a notch early, fog and a bit too chilly, repaired undies to wait a bit

- fairly strong wind, walking slow, aha! another rope up!

- deer clearing, fun! i would have expected a wolf clearing

- another small cave, i like how there are lots of caves. my stamina is down due to climbing and it's not noon yet

- slept off fatigue for an hour and the wind turned to lots of snow, i'll just look around the cave without leaving in case it gets worse

- four birch saplings and harvestables and sticks

- shiny!!! a big, grey container which has double doors! there is a sawing sounds when i pry it open

- 2 simple tools, 3 rifle cleaning kits, 5 whetstones, a pack of cured leather, 4 cured bunny pelts. I'll make bunny gloves out of that! yay!!

- Maybe I should build a bank on top of this mountain like Scrooge McDuck and swim through loot

- chopped up a cedar limb and hid in the cave, the weather is punishing, more cozy logs inside for me

- let's sharpen all tools and make another stash, get birch to cure, opening those crates took 10% out of the hacksaw

- almost out of water, it's nice sitting in this cave by the fire listening to the wind outside, boiling everything, tea, coffee, mushrooms, rosehips

- dropped all firewood into the flame, i wouldn't want ninja cold attack during sleep

• Like 1

Day 48

-  failed to repair parka, it's ok at 84% i just wanted to wait a bit before travelling, fixed my earmuffs, then slept an hour due to fog

- it's amazing how fast the calories burn on this mountain, i can't say i swim in food anymore, using teas and coffees often

- i could shoot a deer if i get stuck somewhere for a while, but i rather save the bullets for predators

- repaired parka after all, this fog is still meh but i want to move

- hello a bear in the middle of a narrow path, waiting for him to leave, is he stuck? he's moving his legs but he's not moving from the spot

- all right where is my flare gun, i only have one bullet but if he sees me sneaking by i'll use it

- i love when you complain in a loud voice about hunger when you're close to a bear, let's remind him that it's dinner time

- oh halp, am I stuck? why can't i move? D: is the game about to crash? none of the buttons are working, rebooot, i hope i don't return to the game eaten by a bear because i got stuck at the narrowest distance to his back

- why is nothing working? is my computer broken? ;-; OH! lol my keyboard battery is dead, it could have beeped or winked or something to let me know

- oh well where am I? back at the cave... lets go back to the bear... bear? bear? where are you?

- don't see him, this moderate snowfall and wind aren't too friendly

- a rope down, nah i don't want to go down, ran around the entire plateau peering off the edges, i'm not finding a way up, it's past noon already

- ouch! my ankle, open meds screen, use painkillers, close screen. What even is THIS! ahh!!! blizzard!! where the snowfall am i? crawling along the mountain ridge hopeful i find my cave and not the bear

- negative 16C brrrr!! deer clearing? yes yes cave somewhere... um... here... ouch! warmth dived into red... i think i've seen this big rock with white in the center wuuhww

- this mountain has sneaky blizzards that pop in thirty seconds

- my cave! i almost turned into popsicle!

- interesting, there is a piece of coal i've missed, i'll just sleep for an hour to recover fatigue

- wake up, it's moderately snowing, heh i have a feeling that blizzard was out to get me specifically, as soon as I hid it stopped within an hour

- i have some charcoal in the burned out fire, i'll walk around and map the area while there is daylight left

- ugh it's confusing having a bad sense of direction, i think this way is where i came from, empty hacksaw container

- it's still fairly cold, chopped up a fir limb and returned to the cave

- i'm going to be careful with food i have burned a lot of it

• Like 1

On 1/16/2019 at 11:58 AM, tulkawen said:

@BareSkin

*takes out a hatchet and knights BareSkin with it*

Good Ser! I challenge you to a test!

You must survive 30 days on each voyager map with a single survivor.

The drop location is random and you are map locked on all of them.

Once night 30 ends you must move to a new map before the moon appears above the horizon regardless of the weather. You may take one item of your choice with you. The rest stays behind, including the clothes.

If you are on a map which has no alternative exit but the previous map, you may use your former items while travelling across to a new map, but it's one item limit when you exit. You may swipe. And remember about the moon and ball sleigh turning into pumpkin.

The transition mines and the hydro dam itself are considered part of any zone they are attached to, but you may not make loot stashes in them. If you pick up a treasure cave item while living on a certain map it r belongs to that map now and must be left there once the magic clock rings 30th day. You may sleep in these mines, but consider exits to the other side locked unless it's the migration day.

Feats: nope.

Oh wow, Cinderella Challenge? How can I resist that? I'll think about doing it after my Bareskin31 run.

That would make me discover Voyager. Of course the bigger enemies will be cold and world-wide decay. Arriving naked on a day31 cold morning, defenseless and with no cooking item on a map is a real challenge. I'll basically be naked-voyaging starting Day31, since all I will find will be ruined and any craft asks for gut, time and a workbench.

The item choice is not really one, since a Bedroll is a must-have to survive some maps that don't have a bed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BareSkin said:

Oh wow, Cinderella Challenge? How can I resist that? I'll think about doing it after my Bareskin31 run.

That would make me discover Voyager. Of course the bigger enemies will be cold and world-wide decay. Arriving naked on a day31 cold morning, defenseless and with no cooking item on a map is a real challenge. I'll basically be naked-voyaging starting Day31, since all I will find will be ruined and any craft asks for gut, time and a workbench.

The item choice is not really one, since a Bedroll is a must-have to survive some maps that don't have a bed.

I was brain wrecked to find an idea how to make voyager challenging for someone who lives on roots. :D At least your first 30 days on map 1 will be full of luxury. Does this mean during your first 30 days you intend to find a rifle and make a bearskin bedroll to bearly get by in the future? B| You can fill up your belly 100% before moving on. Border patrol doesn't confiscate eaten calories.

• Upvote 1

I thought about it, of course the item must be a bedroll and yes the bearskin is better since it's decaying very less rapidly, as all animal crafted item.

But I didn't even think the Rifle existed... won't help my naked body against the cold anyway.

I was just praying TLD gods to start on a map with a forge to be able to bow-hunt a bear. This challenge is gonna be fun, I'll start a thread and play this realtime for all seasoned Voyagers advices :D. The calories won't be a problem at all. Only the cold.

Edited by BareSkin
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BareSkin said:

But I didn't even think the Rifle existed... won't help my naked body against the cold anyway.

Come to think of it, how much experience do you have with a rifle? :D I guess, unless you've been using it in that other starting scenario game, it might be an item you socialize with rarely. It seems, you prefer a bow way more to a rifle. But yush you don't need a forge since you can find a rifle to sniper a bear.

I have no idea if this challenge is doable, but it's 100% awesome that you're the first voyager to march it. If you can't than I suppose it would need to be modified.

Good luck randomly landing in the Muskeg as the first map. I don't exclude voyager dropping you off there. I doubt at this difficulty it will give you one of the harder maps as the starting location since the game tries to be merciful. I'm guessing PV, but I did have a random start at the muskeg on voyager, so, that's one place possible.

Guest jeffpeng
9 hours ago, tulkawen said:

I have no idea if this challenge is doable

Most certainly is. I actually might try that one, too. I figure the harder maps will be desolation point and broken railroad. Unless you find weaponry I can see how it will be hard to survive on those calorie-wise. Milton, Mystery Lake, Coastal Highway... ezpz. Pleasant Valley ... well, depends. The map is surprisingly arid for being so big. Timberwolf Mountain will be hard at start, but easy once you made the Summit, Hushed River Valley could be hard if you have bad luck with hatchet spawns, Forlorn Muskeg probably mostly depends on how well you can manage your firewood living in a cave.

What about the Old Island Connector, the Raven Falls Railway Line and Winding River? Are those zones in and of itself as well? If so those will be the hardest to scrape by, especially The Old Island Connector.

I suppose for the purposes of this challenge, Rifles and Cartridges are considered separate items?  How about Lanterns and fuel? (though I doubt anyone would take a lantern as their one item).

It might be wise to consider different starting items to address different maps.  CH does really need a bedroll.  ML might not either, if you manage Cabin Fever well enough.  But I guess once you have a bear-roll, you're not going to give it up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

Old Island Connector, the Raven Falls Railway Line and Winding River?

I thought they were separate maps with the cave systems and hydro dam counting as part of those zones. Should be coal and loot there. But, I have less knowledge, if you guys believe they are not possible to survive on, then perhaps these can be attached to harder maps or lessen the timer on them to 15 days each.

3 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

Most certainly is. I actually might try that one, too.

That's awesome! :D I'm getting to bounce in my chair now since you folks like it!

58 minutes ago, NardoLoopa said:

I suppose for the purposes of this challenge, Rifles and Cartridges are considered separate items?

If you stuff your gun full of amo it's considered 1 item, but carrying a separate bullet in the inventory is a separate item.

1 hour ago, tulkawen said:

If you stuff your gun full of amo it's considered 1 item, but carrying a separate bullet in the inventory is a separate item.

Heh, you can bring boom-stick with 10 kills, but a Bow wouldn't have any arrows (though, to be fair if a bow has one arrow it has 'infinite' ammo).  Would be funny to choose a bow and find no arrows on the map.  And by "funny" I mean like "interloper-funny," not ha-ha funny. 

This whole challenge is what I imagined the Nomad Challenge to be similar to.  Though I envisioned that you could bring whatever was on your back, rather than only one item.  Because not everyone is crazy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NardoLoopa said:

Would be funny to choose a bow and find no arrows on the map.  And by "funny" I mean like "interloper-funny," not ha-ha funny.

:D  It certainly is a gamble when you're choosing an item. Or you could find a broken arrow on a map without a workbench. There are often broken ones embedded in deer carcasses. Have the arrow tip but no arrow.

1 hour ago, NardoLoopa said:

This whole challenge is what I imagined the Nomad Challenge to be similar to.  Though I envisioned that you could bring whatever was on your back, rather than only one item.  Because not everyone is crazy.

@BareSkin said that he never tried voyager difficulty, thus, I was coming up with an enticing enough challenge with crazy in mind. :D

This one can be modified to various interests, for example take what's on your back instead of one item or increase the number of items per one each time you're moving to a new map. Ex map 1 to map 2 you take 1 item, map 2 to map 3 you may take 2 items to compensate for world decay. I guess @BareSkin is choosing again the 'interloper' difficulty even on voyager. :D

• Like 1

My voyager is still on the TWM dragging all her heavy stuff around. -_-

Day 49

- the mountains are pink, it's clear and windy, the temperature holds at zero exactly letting me travel slowly without catching a cold

- i'm finding fresh mushrooms and rosehips but i don't want to gather due to weight

- i don't believe i've seen this fallen deer before, i'm also glad i don't see the bear, maybe the bear got scarred of my low battery because i haven't seen a hair since

- finally! a new rope leading up! drink some coffee and up i go

- secluded shelf, secluded sounds good no predators around, it's a small area surrounded by cliffs and an entrance to a cave that can be explored

- much coal inside and some intersections, a frozen adventurer gives me a skinning book, a vest and MRE oh! tasty it's 1740 calories!

- the lantern has about quarter of the burn time left when i see light. a new area

- it's snowing again the weather really is out to get me

- a rope down, not taking that

- keep going the other way until i reach an open cave, it's equally cold as outside but it's wind sheltered, there is a folded mountain rope, not dragging that around

- another rope leading up, i feel like i should take it tomorrow, past noon and this weather is like yesterday when i got blizzard

- went back to the cave, ugh it's so uncomfortable climbing to its entrance, slipped down several times

- read a book for 2h until fatigue got me

- i'm going to drop more items i don't like crawling like a turtle around these mountains maybe leave some double clothes

- ate MRE then slept

• Like 1