Newbie Survivor Log

tulkawen

Guest jeffpeng

Here at the Hinterland Forums we refer to each other like this, @tulkawen. This way you get notified B|

Aside from that: lovely you write down you very first steps. I remember mine with a twisted mixture of fondness, sense of true adventure and embarrassment. You'll get the hang of it in no time :-)

Voyager difficulty allows you to pick a map, but Loper difficulty doesn't. I've intentionally picked the mystery lake because the description said it's for beginners.  I think I'm starting to understand that area a little bit. I'm going to pick a different location for another game or try Loper for lulz. I'm so scarred of wildlife that I haven't kicked the bucket yet due to it, maybe soon, not that I'd want to! :D

@jeffpeng aha Gocha! Me thinks I've gots the hang of this @ rifle? :) ty!

wait wait I didn't get it! It's not red like yours?

Edited by tulkawen

2 minutes ago, tulkawen said:

I'm going to pick a different location for another game

I think Coastal Highway is a nice beginning map, and I can assure you being eaten by a wolf will be on the menu. Everyone even knows where it will happen :D. Not sure Loper will be a lot of lulz for you, but for us, certainly!

Note: @name only works for people's pseudonyms. If you type @jeffp, the forum will propose you @jeffpeng, you just have to click it.

Edited by BareSkin
advice on forum mechanics
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BareSkin said:

I think Coastal Highway is a nice beginning map, and I can assure you being eaten by a wolf will be on the menu. Everyone even knows where it will happen :D. Not sure Loper will be a lot of lulz for you, but for us, certainly!

Oh! Mah! Gawd! My 15 years of experience now say that there is some kind of boss in the area. That sounds SUSPICIOUS what you just said! As if I wasn't terrified enough! D: waaahh where? x_x Wait don't tell me! I don't want to know or I'll never go there! 

• Upvote 1

Just now, tulkawen said:

Oh! Mah! Gawd! My 15 years of experience now say that there is some kind of boss in the area. That sounds SUSPICIOUS what you just said! As if I wasn't terrified enough! D: waaahh where? x_x Wait don't tell me! I don't want to know or I'll never go there! 

Don't worry Coastal Highway is actually a bit less dangerous than Mystery Lake I think, it's just that... you know.. this place is... well...

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng

There aren't bosses in the classical sense. Really, there aren't. But there are certain wolves and bears that have a sort of habit to come from the most unforgiving angles. Some of them have gathered quite a reputation. For example, on Timberwolf Mountain, a region I play a lot and a region you will learn to hate before you will love it, there is a certain wolf that inhabits a certain area. I dubbed that area "Death Bowl", just because how dangerous the landscape is and how easy that wolf up there will get you if you don't look out. 

And yes, we're kinda waiting for it :D

Hey guys, I thought I'd rhyme my next adventure because why not. :D Still Mystery Lake Voyager.

Game 3 Lost Noobie Log

Forest, forest everywhere

How in blazes did I get here?

Hands in pockets, walking brisk

Wolves or frostbite, I'm at risk.

At least I have pockets.

Stumps and Logs like Pyramids

Wooden roof in their midst.

Set of stairs and a roof,

But not shelter, safe goes poof.

Hello, archery book and a hatchet.

Grabbing some twigs underfoot

Not exactly epic loot

Roof and steep path up a cliff

Up run, up run, can't go stiff.

Hello, frozen adventurer by a burned out fire. You have food for me in your pack.

Roof and stairs, but not shelter

Ruined lookout, cannot enter.

Build a fire next to this friend

Eat and drink, get warm, don't end.

Rush as fast as possible down from the lookout as the strong wind picks up.

Setting sun, a yellow dot

It's a wagon, camping spot.

Deer freezing on the ground.

I've got hatchet, chop it down.

Hello, wind rattling the thin wagon door once I grab more twigs and bolt inside.

Build the fire, I can cook

Stupid noob, you burned the book!!

Fry the deer, what a feast

Vicious wind howls like a beast.

There is barely enough room for the bedroll.

Drink and watch the twigs run out

Absolutely can't go out.

Half the night passed, fire dead

Angry eye pulling to bed.

It's negative 13C away from the fire.

Try one hour, get some rest

Doubt nagging, it's a test.

Hello, death.

Yep, it was not safe to sleep in freezing temperatures even in a sleeping bag inside a wagon. ;)

Edited by tulkawen
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2

Bare, I hoped she wouldn't die in such a short amount of time or would wake at catching hypoth, but I guess it was too cold. I'm not sure if this one was winnable or not. I had firewood for half the night and there was a blizzard. Sleeping while I had the fire then still would have woken me at midnight with a blizzard outside - providing I could have slept.  I had warmth only crouching very very close to the fire, moving even a bit away dropped temp into red. It was -13C inside the cabin, so just crouching there without a fire but not sleeping would have frozen me slowly. Venturing out into blizzard at midnight doesn't sound great either especially since I don't know which way to walk. In general, so far, I feel not knowing the terrain is the biggest challenge. I tend to die often before I reach a safe spot from which I could explore and where I could have a base for a while. I suppose I could have slept for half the night, then ventured out to grab firewood and hoped I don't lose the wagon. If lucky I'd grab more burnable stuff and come back, somehow last till morning. That would burn the matches but at least stall an immediate demise. idk

Don't mind my ramblings, I always wander after each game what I could have done differently. :)

Edited by tulkawen
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, tulkawen said:

I'm not sure if this one was winnable or not

Oh yes it was. There are mechanics for the "outdoor" game you didn't even discover, also because Wintermute teaches you things and you're waiting the next update to play it. Any Voyager game is winnable. The wolves density of Stalker and weather of Interloper make start much more difficult. Mystery Lake is full of very distinctive landmarks, that why it's a "beginner" map.

9 hours ago, tulkawen said:

I feel not knowing the terrain is the biggest challenge.

It actually is, but since there are only a few maps that never change over time, the discovery and knowledge of maps terrains is actually the real "experience" you build survivor after survivor. The game is about exploration and hard choices.

Edited by BareSkin

The thing I've learned the most so far is that as soon as you drop you have to move asap without taking time to think what to do next. Not knowing the terrain makes you move intuitively. Once you manage to hook somewhere you get the ball rolling. This game has a nomadic way. Even in safer places you cannot remain too long because you need resources and you have to take risk and travel to get them if you wish to survive long term.

I'm finding voyager wolf density sufficient at present. :D Interloper sounds interesting since I don't know where I'm going anyway. Bad weather is only scary because I cannot see the wolves from two feet away, but such means of fading into long dark isn't as intimidating as the violent way. Blizzards are kind of nice if you manage to reach safe shelter and read while it howls. That's one of the things about Long Dark, you don't want to be caught in the open with your pants down once the night or fatigue drifts in.

• Upvote 2

Hey guys! As a Canadian allow me to congratulate everyone with the first day of winter! (unless you're in Australia area)  December is a Christmas month, thus, I figured it would be fun to do one of those 'open a new window each day' candy collections. I'll try to post a small fragment of my The Long Dark adventures each day. Hope this will be entertaining.

For the 4th game I picked Interloper difficulty for lulz and also learned that you cannot choose a map at this level. This Survivor's name is Yolo! Presented by a complete newbie. Feel free to laugh. :P

Game 4 Yolo!! (Interloper, Pleasant Valley)

Day 1

- This pleasant valley doesn't look too unpleasant for a nice forest stroll in my underwear. I even collect some mushrooms and beards.

- A brisk walk brings house structures in sight surrounded by empty corpses and green boxes. These houses are a lie. I bang at the front doors, but spiders have barricaded the doors firmly and don't want visitors.

- Running around one of these ruins reveals the most wanted thing in the world right now, a toolbox. Not only am I cold, but now I'm hugging a heavy, metal object.

- Grabbing some red fruit from a bush makes me see metal doors going into a basement.

- What a nice basement, it has food, drink and a sock for my left foot in the washer. Must be a magical washer, they usually eat socks not give them.

- The lockers require a prybar. Doesn't this super heavy toolset have a single thing that can help open the lockers?

- There is also a whetstone, probably to sharpen my very useful toolbox.

- Go outside again and peep off the edge of the mountain. There is a farm field below. Perhaps some farmer used to live there? Might be a house.

- How to I get down there? I venture leftward to what seems like a white slope going down, but it leads me to a twigs farmsville. Dead end.

- Run back to the basement and bolt inside. My hands are close to falling off and two frostbites are developing.

- Maybe I could start a fire... if only I had a single match.

- Who would have thought. I plane crash-landed survivor who doesn't have anything, doesn't have anything!

- Got busy breaking some boxes and tearing up a couple of cardboard boxes. Sad sigh, the risk of frostbite and hypoth is not going down.

- Maybe if I sleep it will get better? Try to sleep. You cannot sleep without a bedroll. Whhhaaat?? Flop on floor and stretch out on the boards. What do you mean I can't sleep! I'm lying down with my eyes closed and I'm getting tired, tiiiireeed! I demand to sleep! The temperature is wavering between white and mild red. If it drops outside I think I will freeze in here.

- Stepping out again and this time choosing the right side along the ledge. There are two ropes hanging down.

- Half tired, half hungry and thirsty. What could go wrong? Apparently nothing. Saw a dead deer after climbing the first rope but left it alone. Don't want to anger whoever wants it for dinner and I bet toolbox won't help me skin it either.

- While I was climbing, the fog came in blue and thick. There is a road running around the field. I hit the breaks and quick reverse upon attempting to cross it. Three wolves not far to my left are also crossing. Crouch behind a snowdrift and yield the right of the way.

- I'm a little snowdrift cold and stout... please don't be smelling me with your snout...

- Sneak across crouching once they pass. My imitation of the snowdrift must be convincing hence I'm as freezing as one.

-  Speaking of freezing, one of the frostbites is almost up to my ears. Time to sprint to what looks like a house.

- Bummer. It's not even a house, it's an awning for storing hay. Too bad I'm not the hay. I'd feel right at home. Why can't I sleep in the hay? Sulk.

- Sprinting around the field circumference and keeping an eye on the line which I think the wolves were taking.

- There is a red structure up ahead. Running around it hitting the walls. Where is the entrance? Don't tell me this barn is also taken by mice.

- Finally found the blasted door, lift hand to grab the handle and hooorible feels wreck me. Yep, there is frostbite.

- Whhaaaa??? Aaaaaghh!! Awghghg!!!  Permanent? Health wreckage! And one step away from warmth? I should have picked up one less twig. Damn you twig!

- It's almost pitch dark inside. I drink the soda and eat some dry food. Three sources of health punishment is too much.

- I stumble around unable to see much, eventually running into stairs. Through a hole in the roof I see a workbench outline. 'Very nice,' I think and fall through the floor. Well, there is always a second attempt... to fall through the floor.

- I don't think this place has a bed.

- It's -5C! You deceptive hole! You only looked warm while subtly advancing hypoth!

- I bullet outside and hypoth covers me too! The world blurs. I run around the stupid barn trying to make out any other house structure in the distance, but the fog and red health blurs the horizon.

- There is a large yellow tractor in front of me. I climb inside. Perhaps another survivor who pulls this tractor door open will find my stuff useful.

• Upvote 4
  • Like 2

Game 5 Newbie Lost - Forlorn Muskeg, Voyager

Day 1

- Fog and Bog. Both unpleasant yellowish-blue entities. Dumped in the middle of the flat landscape where the ice patched by snow stretches in all directions equally, I advance randomly, aiming to find an invisible shore.

- Keeping on top of the snow isles for the most part. The ice is cracking unreliably.

- Nothingness. Desolation. Not even a few cattails to salvage.

- Once the risk of frostbite and hypoth sets in, the bank shows up. Dim outlines of a vast barn drift into view.

- It's a forge! This survivor just discovered a treasure! Finding an accelerant in one of the boxes allows me to use the stove for warmth. Then break up what can be broken as some boards require a hatchet.

- There is an assortment of clothes even if most of them hold around 30% I tear up two shabby pairs of gloves for repair until warmth sets it.

- Explore another barn to the right, it has an empty backpack and a bunch of reclaimed wood. I'll take that gladly. Tear up a couple of bushes too on the way.

- Go back and look around the forge. There is a heavy hammer hidden in one of the metal wheels behind it. Very nice, I have a hacksaw and a heavy hammer.

- The dusk is setting in. There are broken remnants of a house not far off.

- Running around it, I hear a suspicious sound like an echo of my footsteps. I stop and it stops. I go and hear it again, the pitter-patter of feet.

- I sprint to the forge and climb the boards to a second storey where the bed is. Crouch.

- Yes. There are foreign footsteps behind the forge. They are terrifying in the dense dusk. tap-tap... tap-tap...

- I cannot understand what animal this is. Maybe a wolf? I think wolves are a bit different. A moose?

- Digging through self-defence items gives me a flare.

Night 1

- Whatever this is, it's not in a hurry to leave... tap-tap... tap-tap...

- I peek through the large gaps in the boards, but see nothing. It grows very cold when the sound finally stops.

- I climb down and build another fire. Drop enough logs to last a night and then remember a metal shelf under the bed floor. I do have a hacksaw. The wolves howl mournfully in the distance. It's a cold night.

- This exercise wears the last bits out of me even if I get a good amount of metal. The health is two thirds down having taking various beatings.

- Must eat, drink, sleep.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Game4- I shared your disappointment regrading the toolbox utility that actually doesn't have a single tool, and laughed when you discovered you got no matches and no bedroll. You actually had a very nice first Interloper run, I would have sworn you wouldn't make it alive to an indoor place!

Game5- Interesting! You're 1m away from a valuable lesson essential to Interloping.

I love this thread.

• Upvote 1

@jeffpeng

That toolbox is sneaky! It takes a while to figure what to do with it (and it sort of looks like a lunchbox too). You'd think it has a screwdriver to pry open some locks. I don't doubt later on in the game it's useful, but the game was poking fun of me by 'here is a sharpening tool for you' but I won't give you a tool to sharpen.

@BareSkin

I

proudly made it to two indoor places, though, they were both wicked traps too. I'm surprised those wolves didn't eat me. I almost came nose to nose with them. The road has snowdrifts along it. They jumped over the snowdrift from the other side when I jumped onto the road. I guess luckily the fog limits their vision too, not just mine. They got close enough to see those separate hair of their backs. Scaaarryyy... O_O I think they were zoned on that deer I had left behind.

Never mind the matches hence I assume they do drop in game if rarely. Having no bedroll is the bigger killer. What are we, suppose to tackle the bear barehanded to make a bedroll out of him? I suppose you could find a bed for fatigue but no bedroll means you really can't go anywhere else the fatigue will kill you.
  • Upvote 1

Day 2

- In the lifted fog, I spot the wooden docks leading away from the shore that look promising. I follow the yellow brick road without the red shoes, collecting a few cattails along the way.

- A few deer are peacefully grazing. Perhaps, those were their hooves last night? Wishful thinking. Whatever that was had sent creeps up my spine. Deer don't stalk adventurers.  

- There are a couple of upturned boats and boxes. On the next island a house is buried up to a roof that has a dresser, one drawer crooked, the rest have goodies.

- The docks run deeper into the bog territory towards a barn filled with barrels. There is a fuel canister inside.

- I climb onto the rocks behind the barn to get a better view. Flat and empty. There are some ruined buildings left of the forge. I don't think any of them can be entered. That's the direction that ominous sound came from last night. I'm in the middle of nowhere.

- Since the wind is picking up, it's time to head back, skinning a fallen deer on the way and gaining crow feathers. Leave the guts where they are. Don't want predators on my doorstep.

- The weather is turning foul close to a blizzard. The forge is fired again to cook the meat and boil the water. This thing is boards voracious!  It demands to eat almost as much as I do all the time! I add more coal, letting the temperature rise gradually. Isn't it high enough to melt this muskeg already?

- The inventory revision tells me I have an awesome new knife, but no hatchet. That's what I create and use the rest of the metal for the arrowheads.

- Setting more water to boil in a tin can, I climb under the second storey where breaking a crate earlier had revealed a safe. The water is bubbling and threatening to boil out while I crack the lock.

- 'Wow! Is this an early survivor birthday?' I have one good thought, immediately interrupted by multiple wolf howls erupting in the area. While crafting, the snow storm had subsided and the night has fallen.

Night 2

- Climb to the second floor hugging a warm expedition parka and insulated boots in good condition. Woot! That's a nice safe!

- Tap-tap... Tap-tap... the footsteps return. Belonging to an invisible enemy, they are more chilling than all the muskeg frost.

- I snatch the boiling water off the stove and crouch, sleeve in my mouth. Something is out there... stalking... waiting... it wants me.

- I have a rock and a flare. Hardly a mighty arsenal. Well... a knife too, but that's when the range fails.  

- Tap-tap... tap-tap... it finally leaves me be... for now

- Sufficiently frightened, I drop the remaining coal along with the reclaimed wood into the forge and sleep

- The wolves are howling when I wake up close to dawn

- Set the water to boil and begin checking all drawers one last time, picking up my temporarily stored stuff

- An interested bark right behind me, propels me upstairs!

- This is when I finally spot the midnight visitor. A rusty shape is visible through the open entry into the barn. It's not going in, but it is taking keen interest in the place where I'm hiding

- The water is boiling out, but I can't reach it from the second floor. The can is empty by the time the wolf moves on

• Upvote 3
  • Like 3

Guest jeffpeng
On 12/3/2018 at 8:07 PM, tulkawen said:

I guess luckily the fog limits their vision too, not just mine.

It does. However their "radius" becomes very unpredictable in fog, so that can work to your advantage - or not.

23 hours ago, tulkawen said:

Deer don't stalk adventurers.  

Don't say that. I shot my first deer ever as it was running towards me. The deer already was panicking, and I panicked because of a panicking deer. Deer! Guns! Blood! Aaaaah! Lot's of panic!

About your nightly visitor.... some information, but you have to decide if you want to read it or not as it might spoil a few discoveries that cost a lot of blood to make:

Your barn is safe. Wolves (or anything else for that matter) will not enter it or similar structures - no matter how breezy their are. In fact wolves will not even "see" you in there. But: they do smell you in there. So as long as you carry meat (even cooked meat) or guts they will smell it and come to investigate.

Edited by jeffpeng