What makes Hushed River Valley worth exploring?

Morrick

I've been there several times and have never seen a moose carcass.  But, then again, I tend to re-trace prior known routes I've taken.  I'll have to take some more time to look around next time I'm there.  BUT....will I ever go back?  Last time I went was to finish up carto ach...  I've skipped it on my last couple playthroughs when I'm in the Milton region.

20 hours ago, TheEldritchGod said:

I have not only seen seen the moose carcass, I have eaten that moose. But I don't think it spawns on interloper.

I found other references of people, finding moose carcass in Hushed River valley. Where exactly did you find it? The details in the reddit were stingy at best. I was not there on Interloper, I was there in two different Voyager games, and one Pilgrim one - never found it. I will probably make my way there in the Stalker game next. 

I am pretty sure it is a random spawn, just like other corpses and carcasses. Kind of a "big deal" RNG to be honest, to have an option to get a hide and the guts without a need to actually kill it.

It kind of makes sense there would be a carcass of moose in there. There is a cooked moose steak at the mysterious campfire... it had to come from somewhere... :D 

On 11/14/2018 at 11:44 AM, Riotintheair said:

In Interloper it has a spawn point for the Makinaw Jacket and more importantly Combat Pants* - definitely the best inner layer pants in Loper (outer layer has more competition).

* Not sure these spawn a 100% of the time, but I've found them everytime I've fully explored the region (ie haven't gotten killed).

Yes there is a 100% combat pants and ear wraps spawn in HRV that can be reached even if you don't have a hatchet to get to the signal fire.  One of the signal fires is accessible without a hatchet, which will get you a Mackinaw jacket and a few other goodies.  Arguably, HRV with the no-hatchet signal fire is the best spawn in Interloper right now.

HRV is confusing as heck at first, but once you know where you're going it is possible to get around it pretty fast - and nowhere you absolutely NEED to go is that far from the relative safety of the wolf-free parts of the ice caves.  You can't survive in there long term without a bow and some warm clothes, but you absolutely get in and out alive with nothing but a bedroll even in Interloper.

• 1 year later...

In my opinion, HRV is one of the better interloper starts. Plenty of stalks to eat, matches, and shelter in the caves.  There might also be some key loot to be found, but you have to know the region. I never stay long, but if the RNG gods are kind I can exit to Milton with a good head start. From there, work your way to the FM forge through ML or the basin.

Well this convo definitely makes starting my next game in HRV or MT  seem a good idea.  Take short supply run trips in and out of HRV to the trailer in MT.  Heck, kill the bear east of the trailer and there's a few weeks of HRV exploration right there.  Thanks for the idea.

I have not played TLD for a while.  Has the problem of a bedroll left in a cave being damaged when you are attacked by wolf or bear way outside of the cave, been fixed in HRV?  To further clarify that I mean a bedroll that you are not even carrying gets damaged.

8 hours ago, peteloud said:

I have not played TLD for a while.  Has the problem of a bedroll left in a cave being damaged when you are attacked by wolf or bear way outside of the cave, been fixed in HRV?  To further clarify that I mean a bedroll that you are not even carrying gets damaged.

No idea about that.  But they did chance HRV a bit in a sense that you dont neccesarily need it anymore. There are a few caves in there now that have the "bedding" in them and can be used as beds to replenish your exhaustion meter. Not sure about the lowest area - I think there might be a cave that has a bed but I am not 100% sure of it. Id still bring a bedroll.

I never heard of this bug. But the game treats bedrolls like clothing so leaving them lying around makes then deteorate overtime. Could that have been the issue? (I tend not to leave any bedrolls in any of the outdoor caves because I am never sure if the game treats it as "outdoor" or "indoor" and outdoor locations destroy clothes quite fast.

11 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

I never heard of this bug. But the game treats bedrolls like clothing so leaving them lying around makes then deteorate overtime. Could that have been the issue?

No, that wasn't the issue.   The last used bedroll left in the cave was damaged as if I had been carrying it.  I did several tests to reproduce the problem which I mentioned and it was reproducible and consistent.  I reported it to TLD Support.

You can try for yourself.  After using a bedroll in a cave go out and have yourself attacked by a wolf, then go back to the cave and check the condition of the bedroll.  I didn't try that in every cave, for my tests I used the cave in the river gorge and the cave at the top of the map.

Edited by peteloud

I experienced this bug on my current run. Bear roll was 71% dropped it in the cave "behind" the tower in PV to go collect some wood and was attacked by a wolf. Returned to the cave to sleep and bedroll was ruined. Was never so confused. 

HRV is worth exploring because it is there. Love the place. 

6 hours ago, U47 said:

I experienced this bug on my current run. Bear roll was 71% dropped it in the cave "behind" the tower in PV to go collect some wood and was attacked by a wolf. Returned to the cave to sleep and bedroll was ruined. Was never so confused.

Yeah, that's the bug.  If I was exploring or hunting around my base I prefer to leave my bedroll at my base so that it couldn't get damaged and to save weight in the load I was carrying. Sometimes I'd get attacked then return and find my bedroll left in the cave totally destroyed.  I would be unable to sleep, so I was in a difficult situation and would have to make a desperate dash back to Milton.  If it was a bear bedroll it took a great deal of time, effort and frustration to replace it.  As a result I avoided HRV as much as possible for a while.  In later games I'd make sure that I had a supply of bedrolls spread around bases in HRV.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/5/2018 at 10:57 AM, stapeliad said:

Which should be camp craft but somehow require a crafting table. 

Just a quick side thought: I really wish we didn’t need a crafting table for anything except forge/ammo stuff (and even then, not gunpowder). Would really open up a lot of possibilities for base areas beyond the few holy grail spots. 

18 hours ago, rowan said:

Just a quick side thought: I really wish we didn’t need a crafting table for anything except forge/ammo stuff (and even then, not gunpowder). Would really open up a lot of possibilities for base areas beyond the few holy grail spots. 

You have a point there. Some of the clothing items wouldn't need a work bench.  As I think more about some other items don't  too.