no moose spawn

alunasmoon

so i recently started a new game  on pilgrim and normally i keep an eye out for signs of moose well ive looked and searched all over mystery lake and coastal highway along with desolation point. i have seen zero signs of moose and its very very strange even if i dont see one normally ill see the scraps on trees but i have seen nothing im just wondering if it is bug or glich

The best way to find a moose in Desolation point is to walk under the bridge near the fallen pickup truck minding your own business. Grumpwinkle will come down from the slope charging at you for no good reason.

In Broken railroad sometimes you'll find one one will find you when you go from the repair shed to the bridge leading to the hunter's lodge, near the rocky hills.

In Desolation Point, the moose seems to wander, when it is around, on the bridge above Matt's Truck. On its own, it does not seem to leave the bridge. 

In Mystery Lake, one place I have seen the moose is down on the river on the Carter Dam side of where the deer herd would be. Not sure where else it might spawn in other sandboxes.

• 2 months later...

I also thought that my game is bugged since I couldn't find any moose in those confirmed spawn areas in both PV and ML. But you only have to be patient. Sometimes very patient.

In my new game I decided to go to the Barn in PV and while I was there I also searched through the birch forest behind it. I found some tree marks so I scavenged whole forest and area around it but nothing. I did this for 3 days straight and still nothing, only one bear. I wanted to give up and go back to Farmhouse, but on my last day staying at Barn I just went outside the Barn and I saw one standing in front of the birches.

Does somebody know if the tree marks are permanent or they spawn once moose was/is around? Because I couldn't find any marks near Pensive Pond so I figured it's useless to try to find a moose.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a moose spawn recently by the Trapper's Homestead in ML.  Then I went inside.  I had to quit the game, but planned to take my gun out and get that moose the next time I played.  The next time I started the game, I grabbed my gun and exited the cabin and the moose was no where to be found.  It had despawned, probably as a result of my exiting the game when I had.  So far, it hasn't spawned again, although the trees still show rub marks.  I'm not sure if there is a bug involved or not.

The two places I have found moose myself have been nearby the Hunter's Lodge in BRR and the entrance of TWM near the landing gear. In my first survival game I actually traveled to TWM in search of one, assuming it would be there and it was :) I have also seen marked trees in the both locations, so it is a good indication that a moose spawn in nearby.

The places I've found moose, in order from most to least frequently:

Forlorn Muskeg: As you exit the tunnel between Mystery Lake and Forlorn Muskeg, turn a hard right and walk to a small lake in the wooded area nearby.
Broken Railroad: The wooded area to the right of the chainlink door leading up to the Hunting Lodge (if you're facing the door).
Broken Railroad: Near the lake next to the Hunting Lodge.
Mystery Lake: The front "lawn" of Trapper's Cabin.
Hushed River Valley: Monolith Lake near the lake cave. I hate HRV so I never go there, but I did manage to kill a moose with a one arrow headshot and still feel pretty victorious about it. :D

1 minute ago, hozz1235 said:

I'm guessing I have about a 50% chance to encounter a moose when I see the marks.

I've found moose "rubs" in areas (most recently near the Hunting Lodge in BR) and it took days and days for a moose to finally show up. The first time I found moose rubs, I was up in Timberwolf Mountain behind the Mountaineer's Hut. I was on TM for a really long time (summiting the mountain), and don't believe I ever saw a moose in that spot, even after I had been there for a long time and headed back to Pleasant Valley. So I wonder how the actual mechanic works.

Archived