Removal of locked badges

GroggyNoggin

Could Hinterland remove the locked challenges for 4don if we didn't get them? Having a locked unattainable badge is awful. If you are missing one of the others, say, Hopeless Rescue, you can at least try again. Oh, didn't quite make it in the time allowed? No problem, have it another go and another if needed. There is no giving those two badges another go. They will just sit there mocking us every time we go through the challenges. I'm already irritated that I didn't have the time during the work week to earn the badges, it doesn't need to be shown to me for ...... how long? Oh yeah, forever!

Edited by GroggyNoggin
  • Upvote 8
  • Like 2

Ok, how about this.. Hey, it would be cool if there weren't locked challenges there that can't be attempted.  Would it be possible to remove them if they aren't done? Those two aren't challenges that can be attempted again like the other challenges? Does that sound better? Just read this second one and ignore the first post. Awful should be reserved for things like my job and things of that nature.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

To play devil's advocate, some of us made sacrifices in our schedule to obtain it and feel proud to have the exclusive badge. Perhaps an "Events" tab could be added to the badges section to keep them more outta sight and outta mind. Some games put these events into thier trophies and lock you out of getting a platinum which is even worse!

I know I'd be upset if I didnt get it as well, however, so whatever the decision comes down to, I won't be so mad if it becomes re-obtainable next year.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

I agree. They were pretty generic badges, they could reasonably be repeated next time. Maybe the next Halloween event could include more specific challenges such as "Wendigo: eat a total of 5kgs or more of meat from at least 3 corpses" or something like that.

Edited by Doc Feral
  • Upvote 1

I will take the side with the OP on this. It is kind of discouraging.

Some of us have known about the event but due to the nature´s whims were unable to get it done. As much as I would have loved to play the infamous 4 days of nights, right before that event took place, my laptop crashed out (thanks again, latest Windows update, that was the second time this month I had to reinstall everything). By the time I could get around to it, fix it, and with tight work and studies schedule, the event was over.

I swear I am cursed or something. Two years ago my laptop was compromised by a virus and couldnt run a game without crashing. I had it fixed later but before the last year´s event came the update with Aurora and graphical revamp, and my former laptop wasnt able to run it. This year the Windows update killed my new laptop and put it out of commision for this year´s event.

I wonder what it will be next year. The way my luck goes, I wont be able to play TLD on the event next year again but only because the TLD aurora event will happen for real, and there wont be any Aurora to power up my laptop during the Halloween next year, I bet.

I kindly congratulate you all for obtaining the badge this year. I do hope that the unlucky ones will be able to re-gain it next year :). And having it sort of as a "hidden" thing till then would make it more exclusive to the people who already have it, I reccon.

You should consider linux. You have to exercise more care when buying hardware (I find that Asus, Samsung, Dell, and Lenovo are generally good options when buying laptops intended for linux; stay away from MSI and HP, and stay away from "budget" hardware), but after you set it up properly your install will be good for literally years, generally without the need to reinstall periodically to restore performance. When you set up linux, it stays set up. I'm a professional sysadmin (my main platforms are linux and solaris) so I definitely have the skill set, but you can get 90% of the way there pretty quickly if you apply yourself to overcoming the early learning curve. Oh, and get back to the days of using command prompts; there are certain things that are far more easily achieved with command prompts than GUIs.

I'm serious about this; I'm still running the home that I first installed on a computer around ten years ago; as I've upgraded my systems I just move it on to the next machine and everything is as it was. This particular machine has moved from Ubuntu 16.04 -> 18.04 without needing reinstallation at any time. In my line of work, when we talk about stability, it's not just "not crashing" that we mean. Unix and variants are just a lot more stable than Windows installations... and TLD runs like a champ under linux.

• Upvote 1

Honestly, No. Do NOT remove the badges. I did not get them this year, I was too sick to play past Day 1. So I have the locked badges as well. My mind does not melt into a puddle of goo when I see them. They do not count toward the Challenge Mastery achievement, as far as I can tell, since I had that achievement, it was not affected by the addition f 2 new Challenge badges, and another friend just completed Hopeless Rescue, got the achievement, and does not have either 4DoN badges either.

If I don;t want to see locked badges, I am free to not look at my badges collection. Pretty simple solution there.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I get that some people say, they sacrificed things to get them. That's exactly why there shouldn't be locked badges like this. Encouraging people to push aside jobs, family, responsibilities, and healthy relationship time, which some of us have, is unethical, especially over a pixel game that is made, may I remind you, for entertainment which is NOT a pressing priority of life. It subliminally promotes irresponsibility. Its an ethics minor question, and for a company apparently concerned about ethics on many levels, and that programmed hints of the importance of relationship maintenance, its also oxymoronic. 

Edited by Dove_SMPDSM
Added text, spelling correction.