RIP PC

EternityTide

so, today I got some unpleasant news. My PC is dead, which means no TLD until the new components arrive. I spent the night pleading with my accursed motherboard to boot up, but nope, all it had to say was the "beep-beep" of an boot error.

The BIOS got corrupted whilst I was attempting to update it, and so I tried booting from a USB drive. No such luck. I gave a last ditch attempt with a CD-ROM which I had burnt the new BIOS onto, but nope, once again the PC had the last word. Beep-beep indeed.

So now the waiting.... The dreadful waiting....

aye, the problem was that my motherboard was refusing to identify the full RAM cap. It only could see 4GB when I had 2 4GB RAM sticks (totalling to 8GB) installed, so i checked the BIOS and it stated that I was only operating in single channel RAM, when the motherboard is supposed to managed dual channel, and for some reason wouldn't allow me enable dual channel RAM. I put this down to the BIOS being outdated, so attempted to update from 1.7 to the 2.0 version for my motherboard. Unfortunately my avast antivirus got involved and froze the computer halfway through saving the new BIOS profile, resulting in it corrupting the BIOS files. Neither USB nor CD booting worked, so my old MSI motherboard is going to take the southbound train when my new(ish) ASUS motherboard arrives.

Archived