DAY 4 (spoilers)

Doc Feral

11 minutes ago, reginaphalange said:

What's odd is that twice I went there just now and both times all that was waiting for me was a newspaper. Both times. And I'm not seeing any candybars at the cabins either so I don't know. In any case I'm Done now. I tried. I'll have to have the real pumpkin pie soon to make up for it.

That is odd.  I started three separate games, and all three had a pumpkin pie there.  Meh well at least you tried, that's got to count for something right?

The badge came. I was waiting by the fire, reading a book about houses and another about landscapes. I also checked the news but the paper was old. Made some tea to go with the pumpkin pie. 

I played these four days rather safe. I wasn't thrilled to get in a fight with wolves, so I mostly stayed put on Day 2 and Day 3. But not completely passive, mind you. I was rather unlucky, loot-wise, so I had to venture outside to look for some firewood at least. My favourite moments have been Day 1 as a whole: the cold and the urgency to find good clothes and shelter spiced things up. And the first half of Day 4: the blizzard was scary, and there were a couple of moments when I really thought I was screwed. Also, I honestly believed I would have needed more firewood to survive. Especially after seeing the insane amount of wood some of you collected. Once inside the Pleasant Valley Farmhouse, combining what I was carrying and what I found there, was more than enough to keep going. At the end of the day, I used like 12 pieces of reclaimed wood, 5 pieces of cedar wood, 2 lumps of coal, and 3 books. I still have enough to last another 2 hours real time, at the very least.

My character managed to survive staying rather dapper, I'd add. :)

I'm going to hang around in the forums, I love to read all your stories, fellow survivors!

Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 02.52.46.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 02.39.58.png

Just for funsies, and to feel like I hadn't entirely skipped the point of day three by stockpiling fire wood, I decided to leave my snug little cave by the lake, and go for a walk. There was an hour left on the timer, but I took as much coal, wood, kerosene, and accelerant as I could carry, and headed for Pleasant Valley. I was sufficiently well clothed that I could be warm in a house, as long as I was in bed, so it wasn't a huge risk. Always the chance of getting lost in the storm, of course! I eventually decided to wait for the indifferent embrace of death by the pleasant valley farmstead. In this completely dark world, if there is anyone around at all, then they can't possibly miss my signal fire. 

(Not a poorly coloured image. 8 flares, a fire, and several flare shells is really that bright!)

Kudos on a fun event to shake things up, Hinterland. I'll be sure to leave more detailed, constructive criticism in the right place, but for now, this is a good day. 

20181031233149_1.jpg20181031233202_1.thumb.jpg.97480766fe1ff450afe650e4c6bbe742.jpg

Edited by cullam
missed a photo
  • Like 2

Originally I was worried about setting up Quonset as base. And yes, it provided some great stress during the two Wolves days. But the demon wolves were cool, killed quite a few, as I had 40 rounds for my rifle. But I kept my sleep to a minimum, so they had just respawned as the Aurora wolves came on. And those were fun, as Quonset does have a lot of lights to jump around the building to. Wasn't so bad!

I only had two bullets left and I was worried Day 4 would have both bears and wolves and a blizzard, so I traveled up to the mine, tangled with three wolves, and made it to the buildings at the bridge at PV to see if I could find more bullets. I found ONE and used TWO getting there. The farm was just silly, as it was almost 11pm, and I got back without bumping into another wolf.

And now I'm just chillin', listening to podcasts. No problems starting fires or temperature drops. Sometimes I go outside and wander around to make things interesting for a minute. Plenty of wood, candy bars and some mouldy wolf meat, and a pie was sitting on the Quonset cash register counter!

screen_c53e83bf-2672-46af-86aa-4063fa381776_hi.png

Edited by DrOctopu5
no fire problems

Just finished... Didn’t feel like sitting around on day 4.. and Steve was feeling a little peckish. He has been complaining  I never get him anything but candy bars.. just nags on and on.. sometimes I wonder about him. He said he would clean the rifle while I was gone..

it’s never been used... 

I left him in charge and went out into the world... 2 arrows down in full wind, flare in hand, no arrows if I could catch a wind break.. lowest combined temp I witnessed was -26C air with -23C windchill. Outside in just your underwear your warmth goes from full to hypothermic in just 20 seconds.. don’t ask how I know. 

After visiting Trappers, the Lookout and the Camp Office.. and lighting warming fires, again...don’t ask.. I came away with just the one pie.. guess we are sharing..

Steve was displeased.. but it “wasn’t candy bars at least” he said.. I made us a couple coffee’s, he didn’t even cut the pie.. he’s just lazy.

Thanks Hinterland for the fun, it has been a great couple days and I hope we can do something like this again soon. Thank you all for the conversation and sharing your experiences, I hope you all stick around to enjoy the challenges or just play out of your comfort zone....

oh and Steve says Hey

6BD46170-211E-46C0-A24E-D87666F93670.jpeg

• Upvote 4
  • Like 2

Thank you Hinterland for a great event. I couldn't play as much as I would have liked (work, family, sleep), but it got me back into TLD and spurred me to join your forums. Started playing in the summer of this year. You've done an excellent job on this game!

Got both badges with relative ease. Glad I didn't have to sacrifice my real life just to get those badges :)

Happy Halloween and g'night all.

screen_23c10a32-797d-4f99-95fc-b0983c92aaf5_hi.png

screen_8cf0b1ca-eda2-4bb8-9611-d604add15c22.png

screen_13bc2e9e-d768-4991-89e2-e4549836bb7a.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cr41g said:

Just finished... Didn’t feel like sitting around on day 4.. and Steve was feeling a little peckish. He has been complaining  I never get him anything but candy bars.. just nags on and on.. sometimes I wonder about him. He said he would clean the rifle while I was gone..

it’s never been used... 

I left him in charge and went out into the world... 2 arrows down in full wind, flare in hand, no arrows if I could catch a wind break.. lowest combined temp I witnessed was -26C air with -23C windchill. Outside in just your underwear your warmth goes from full to hypothermic in just 20 seconds.. don’t ask how I know. 

After visiting Trappers, the Lookout and the Camp Office.. and lighting warming fires, again...don’t ask.. I came away with just the one pie.. guess we are sharing..

Steve was displeased.. but it “wasn’t candy bars at least” he said.. I made us a couple coffee’s, he didn’t even cut the pie.. he’s just lazy.

Thanks Hinterland for the fun, it has been a great couple days and I hope we can do something like this again soon. Thank you all for the conversation and sharing your experiences, I hope you all stick around to enjoy the challenges or just play out of your comfort zone....

oh and Steve says Hey

6BD46170-211E-46C0-A24E-D87666F93670.jpeg

My firts thought: "darn, so much preparation wasted, Cr41g's soul finally left his body..." Then I realized my mistake - didn't recognized Steve's face at first glance ;) Glad you've made it!

Edited by Civrilios

7 hours ago, reginaphalange said:

I really feel bad for those who maybe just started out on Day 4 (...)

TBH, it wasn't that bad. The weather at the beginning of day 4 was mostly fine for the first 5 minutes (in rl). Icecold (like -20 of air temperature, -15 at the buildings), but a clear sky and light wind (or no wind at all, rng for the starting weather I suppose - I had to start 2 times, at the first I ran to Bear Creek Campfire hoping for JoL and hatchet, but this time they weren't there). After 5 minutes the snow began to fall, so the visibility was getting worse. At 10 min, the wind grew stronger, but the real blizzard came after about 15 minutes. It was more than enough time to chceck the Jackrabbit Island, Misantrope's Homestead and to get to Quonset, visiting some fishing huts on the way. Personally, on the 2nd run I visited Waterfront Cottages as well, where I found JoL with a riffle (useless) and some firewood in the box (much appeciated). Got caught by the blizzard there, but managed to get to Quonset at the end, with near 80% hypotermia risk.

Starting a new game at day 4 was a bit callenging, but definietly doable if you've not chosen exploring nothing but crucial and the closest locations in your way to Quonset (the big house with an indoor fireplace at Waterfront Cottages was burnt down for me). The biggest problem was to obtain enough firewood (with no hatchet) to survive the first 2 hours of gameplay.

• Like 1

I woke up this morning and decided to give finding a pie

one

more

try.

@ajb1978 gets the first slice

Screenshot from 2018-11-01 08-35-23.png

I'm just so glad I got to not only find a pie but survive long enough to eat the whole thing with a side of... green tea. Haul from Quonset was ridic generous. Shame if this can't turn into a regular save file....

Screenshot from 2018-11-01 09-14-29.png

Edited by reginaphalange
  • Like 2

Four days survived, badges obtained, mission complete. Some beautiful views on the way.

screen_db464a2f-1828-46b0-b159-6a003dc825e8.thumb.png.69e38e42a77a19281bdb79cb5a3349dc.png

screen_f74a684f-8d48-4acb-8b0a-4d44b151a234.thumb.png.4eab19a1c939f0c77b10d63208fc08d2.png

I was not a night explorer, guess that's about to change from now on :) 

screen_8d81049d-976f-4a1c-91f8-802c9533c0ef.thumb.png.d1946d6f95be6e7ad363651c3eb3994c.png

After surviving the last two hours in my fallback cave, I decided to try all the things I wanted to do, but I don't get to do them in the regular games.

A few pleasant activities to do when you just don't give a damn about tomorrow:

screen_4a3e12c3-3bdc-4c61-b7a4-80d378992878.thumb.png.cc2771c3e0b6df21a8d49802fd092bd8.png

Ice fishing, Texas style

screen_07dde8b1-2b1a-41c5-91f1-3736911c8135.thumb.png.f5b490da9452aaa512dd19227172a039.png

Going full "English football hooligan" on the lake

screen_86ebb4ba-d8cb-4e30-849a-5f20096af6dd.thumb.png.d0b3d5b32718cd80cf3cdd949892068a.png

Hello there, fellow hooligan, I suppose you had one beer too many....

And, finally resolving the question you never knew you had, until now: How far can you sprint, butt naked, from the Camp Office, using obscene amount of drugs (6 stims)

screen_a425da21-36cc-4d99-bef9-15f6364cf299.thumb.png.64da1c2f2939f574c03bc81800270d78.png

The answer is, just short of Quonset gas station, apparently.

I had a blast, big thanks to Hinterland and all of you on the forums :)

screen_db464a2f-1828-46b0-b159-6a003dc825e8.png

• Upvote 2
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, michal.don said:

And, finally resolving the question you never knew you had, until now: How far can you sprint, butt naked, from the Camp Office, using obscene amount of drugs (6 stims)

screen_a425da21-36cc-4d99-bef9-15f6364cf299.thumb.png.64da1c2f2939f574c03bc81800270d78.png

The answer is, just short of Quonset gas station, apparently.

What the…!? Wow. Hats off to you, runner!

Such great screenshots. My favourites are the moonlit Lookout and this one of the Quonset gas station.

On my last day i got hypothermia buyt i figured out in stead of trying to keep myself above freezing because that was gonna fail anyway, i would collect a huge amount of wood from the houses around and then go 24 hour warmed up that way. And that worked so while there was a huge blizzard outside i even managed to deal with hypothermia and low condition of course. But i didnt play on day 2 so didnt get the badge.

The last 2 days was nice. I think when u survive on day 4 the sun should get up and you could continue to play that run. I was about to finish wolfcoat :D i had 4 skins almost cured.

Edited by exeexe
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, exeexe said:

On my last day i got hypothermia buyt i figured out in stead of trying to keep myself above freezing because that was gonna fail anyway, i would collect a huge amount of wood from the houses around and then go 24 hour warmed up that way. And that worked so while there was a huge blizzard outside i even managed to deal with hypothermia and low condition of course. But i didnt play on day 2 so didnt get the badge.

The last 2 days was nice. I think when u survive on day 4 the sun should get up and you could continue to play that run. I was about to finish wolfcoat :D i had 4 skins almost cured.

That would have been nice. I'd have loved to keep the pies.

• Upvote 2

So, today I resumed one of my regular Survival sandboxes. This was one I hadn't played in a while. I'd left my character at the Carter Hydro Dam but I didn't remember much else. After four days of night, I was looking forward to some daylight. I exit the facility, and this is what was waiting for me... Deja-frickin-vu. :D

Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 22.07.18.png

• Upvote 2

I intended to post this earlier, but my forum registration wasn't approved until 2 days later :(

Hi, long time player here, first venture into the forums :)

Day 1 - Spent two hours cruising Coastal Highway for supplies and sweet, sweet candy bars. Found about six of them, maybe slightly more. Not having wolves around is great, but the perpetual dark and constant snow means zero visibility - still not a walk in the park. Also plunged into the icy water close to the islands, even though there was no creaking warning - odd. Ended the day in the Coastal Townsite.

Day 2 - Decided to trek down from Quonset Garage to Commuter's Lament, only to find the entrance to the Crumbling Highway blocked off by a rock wall - not sure why this is? Managed to survive a few wolf attacks, and found my first pumpkin by the Waterfront Cottages on the way back to Quonset, plus a rifle! Lucky find. A little more exploring, ended the day in a cabin at the Log Sort.

Day 3 - Aurora, exciting! I haven't seen it often, so seeing the environment react is pretty cool. I shot two wolves with the rifle, which supplied me with some much needed wolf meat (those candy bars aren't going to last me forever). Trekked all the way up to the abandoned lookout, where I was greeted with a pleasant sight!

halloweenTLD.jpg.e4499687e10c60f804f0697891011ea4.jpg

I managed to get attacked twice by the same aurora wolf while holding an activated flashlight since at first I didn't realise you have to set it to 'high' to actually repel the wolves. And because I'm an idiot. I healed up in the lookout, then made my way down again, back to Quonset, where I was ambushed by a pack of aurora wolves. This time I used the flashlight like a sane person, and drove them off successfully. I decided to wait out the last 15 minutes in the garage, since there was no real need to venture out. I've got about four rifle shells left, a stack of reclaimed wood, wolf meat, two candy bars and a fairly good outfit. Let's see what tomorrow brings!

Day 4 - Today was a blizzard breeze! I had enough reclaimed wood stacked up to last me 2 hours easily. Nice and toasty.

halloweenTLD2.jpg.ad7e34b378f4c138d14356445fa4c24b.jpg

I ventured out to search the Quonset houses, as well as the Jackrabbit Island and Misanthrope's Homestead, for potential pies, but no luck :( I got both badges though! :)

This event has actually inspired me to try the other challenges, I'd never received a badge before - and somehow couldn't get into the challenge gameplay. I will try out Hopeless Rescue first - wish me luck ^_^

Edited by Martine
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Martine said:

Decided to trek down from Quonset Garage to Commuter's Lament, only to find the entrance to the Crumbling Highway blocked off by a rock wall - not sure why this is?

It is my understanding that some regions (Forlorn Muskeg, Desolation Point, and maybe a third) were closed off for the duration of the event; some have speculated that it was to prevent players from accessing the forges.

Welcome to the forums, Martine!

-Rick

Edited by Morrick
  • Upvote 1