DAY 4 (spoilers)

Doc Feral

3 hours ago, Viking said:

I had searched all the cabins prior to day 4, and upon revisiting them found no pies. No pie either at Trapper's, which I hadn't searched.

Maybe they won't spawn once you're done? Was hoping to post a few locations for those in need. Also, I wanted a slice of pie, dammit! :)

I had a pie spawn in the greymothers house in Milton.  And not only had I already looted the house, I'd broken down everything possible for wood, tinder and cloth.

image.thumb.png.9573014b80eac5574d1c949cb4bb00da.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TropicalSurvivor said:

I began Day 4 in that cave in WR, moved to Carter dam, looted the place and now I'm going for a walk in ML.

I already got my badge. B|

ah ok   good luck. best bet sit out the weather with a fire/food some where.

Edited by nicko

1 hour ago, hoppyfrog324 said:

I had a Long Dark dream last night where it was spring, which made everything start to thaw before the blizzard and there was a pile of sticks just outside the house I was staying in. I was set when the blizzard started. ;)

Heh. Sometimes I think about Hinterland creating a "Thawing Challenge"... Imagine the temperatures rising, and the snow melting, and think about all the frozen places you usually use to move around, like rivers and lakes, now becoming harder to cross... Now imagine being stranded in a thawing Forlorn Muskeg... :D

• Like 1

Didn't get the Midnight badge but I think I know why: I had 2 save files, one save in ML camp office and the other in the cave.... I know I ran down the Day 3 clock in the ML cave, but I think I did not run out the clock on the camp office save. So... apparently that does matter (though I didn't think it was supposed to matter?)  In any case, I'm once again running down the Day 4 clock, in an overheated cave, bored.

1 hour ago, JAFO said:

However..   if they've any sense at all, they've also been taking notes about evil things we worried about, that they can throw at us in future Halloween Events!

Indeed.

In fact, I've thought of something more in-line with the title of the game.  It's The Long Dark, right?  -Not the long blizzard.  Not the Howling Snowstorm of the North, but The Silent Apocalypse. 

So, let's imagine this...

Day 1:  Unchanged 

Day 2:  Unchanged

Day 3:  A massive Aurora causes electrical fires in every building.  You see the text, "GET OUT" flash on your screen, accompanied by a 5 minute timer.  This gives you some time to grab what you can and get out as fires run up the walls.  Outside, the sky is even more brightly lit by the Aurora and Aurora wolf packs prowl the land.  Find a new place to survive.

Day 4:  The Silent Apocalypse 

The aurora fades....  but so do the moon and stars.  Total absolute darkness descends upon the world.  The only lights left in the world, besides the eerie jack-o-lanterns, are the ones you make.  Well.... That and the glowing red eyes of all the wolves.

And even if you keep clear of them, the cold steadily intensifies.

Can you cling to life?  If only for a couple hours more?

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Still at work so haven't played Day 4 yet but...

I hate to say it, but it was kindda funny watching everyone scurrying around to outside locations while I stayed put in my very comfortable garage.  I hope the 200 reclaimed wood is enough.

Additional thoughts on the event:  It seems that most of us were so focused on getting those badges, that we hunkered down the last 3 days to ensure we did - risk aversion.  That discouraged going out to fully explore what HL may have put out there for us (we were able to do this on the last day after obtaining the badge, but Days 2 & 3 were pretty shot).  Some kind of hybrid would be interesting for next time - at this moment, I'm not sure how that would be accomplished...

Edited by hozz1235
  • Upvote 3
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Khan_Drichthyes said:

Indeed.

In fact, I've thought of something more in-line with the title of the game.  It's The Long Dark, right?  -Not the long blizzard.  Not the Howling Snowstorm of the North, but The Silent Apocalypse. 

So, let's imagine this...

Day 1:  Unchanged 

Day 2:  Unchanged

Day 3:  A massive Aurora causes electrical fires in every building.  You see the text, "GET OUT" flash on your screen, accompanied by a 5 minute timer.  This gives you some time to grab what you can and get out as fires run up the walls.  Outside, the sky is even more brightly lit by the Aurora and Aurora wolf packs prowl the land.  Find a new place to survive.

Day 4:  The Silent Apocalypse 

The aurora fades....  but so do the moon and stars.  Total absolute darkness descends upon the world.  The only lights left in the world, besides the eerie jack-o-lanterns, are the ones you make.  Well.... That and the glowing red eyes of all the wolves.

And even if you keep clear of them, the cold steadily intensifies.

Can you cling to life?  If only for a couple hours more?

The dark sky, well, it just has to be cloudy. Or the result of a catastrophic explosion somewhere on earth...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, reginaphalange said:

The dark sky, well, it just has to be cloudy. Or the result of a catastrophic explosion somewhere on earth...

Oh, no...  We're already dealing with an eerie appearance of random jack-o-lanterns and demon wolves.  It's the end of everything. -The Undiscovered Country.  All the stars burn out, including our own. 

The light has gone out in the universe. 

• Upvote 1

It has to be.. or should be set up to get people out their comfort levels... similar to NOMAD... goals should be movement or collecting based. You are required to traverse to a different map daily.. . pick up this....  hindered by weather and wildlife

• Upvote 3

I was camped out at Long Curve in PV at the end of day 3 with 20 minutes left on my fire...

I hid indoors throughout day 2 since I wasn't confident I could survive fending off demonic wolves with road flares and a hunting knife. On day 3 I was bored and enticed by the light thrown from the auroras so I left the Farmstead for Signal Hill then onto Long Curve.

Now I'm thinking I'll freeze solid before I make it back to the Farmstead where my pile of firewood is waiting for me. I guess it pays to see what hazard awaits you on the next day, eh? Oh well, who needs a badge??

I think the original intention for Day 4 may have not worked out due to a bug of some sort. I'm saying this because I spent a while in a random Milton house, then saved and exited the game. When I returned, I briefly saw a bunch of "Frost bite risk" and "Hypothermia risk" messages filling the screen and.. nothing. No afflictions. If staying inside with no fire weren't enough to stay warm, it would have been a different experience. Now I'm chilling near a fire in the ML transition cave,  15 minutes left.

4 minutes ago, worboren said:

When I returned, I briefly saw a bunch of "Frost bite risk" and "Hypothermia risk" messages filling the screen and.. nothing. No afflictions.

I've had that happen before.  It has happened once or twice in the main game as well as once for me in 4DON.  It looks like a bug, but hasn't hurt me yet.

I have had a blast in 4DON! All that preparing paid off in the end and what do you know - no burning buildings! Gotta say compared to the first 3 days the last day is a bit boring if you have all the firewood to last you the final 2 hours. Just saying!

I ended yesterday outside the dam (thinking it would be on fire) with a snow shelter next to an open fire. Today I started off sitting in my shelter, but fire soon blew out from the crazy blizzard. Tried to dash to Alans Cave, but the intense blizzard was just too much to bear so I turned around and dived into one of the trailers to slowly heat myself back up with a flare. After that I made a dash back to the dam and once inside made my way down into the generator room to find the fire barrel. I unloaded my 50+ reclaimed wood and lit the fire. Phew! Now I am staring at my intense fire, brewing teas and coffees, melting and boiling snow, all in the safely of the generator room....waiting..and waiting....waiting out the storm.

Thank you Hinterland for a great event and getting me to play The Long Dark once more! As others have pointed out, it would be fantastic if you did another event like this for us to enjoy soon. How about a gang of mutant mooses hunting us down perhaps :P?! I am really looking forward to the next episode of story mode coming in December!

• Upvote 3

I had fun also. 

However, I think the Devs should lay off of the 'Wolf Terror' portion of it next time, and allow more timid players to not feel like they need to hole up somewhere, and check back to their PC in 15 minutes to make sure nothing happened. 

Maybe an 'easter egg' hunt type situation, next year, where you have to run around all of the regions and find loot needed to survive the 4th night! 

• Like 1

Got the Midnight badge, but was a little underwhelmed by a challenge setup that encourages camping - there should have been other objectives in stead of lasting two hours/day.

Day 1: Searched CH: Got a lot of candy bars and decent clothing. Went on to PV, and found my first cache between Outbuildings and Farmstead. Quit after entering Farmstead.
Day 2: Searched the Farmstead, then camped for two hours.
Day 3: Another two hours of camping, and then went to Radio Hut and found second cache nearby. Only had to shoot a single wolf on the way up there.
Day 4: Camped for two hours at Radio Hut without even lighting a fire! Got the badge and found a pie. Then walked back to the Farmstead, just to see if the weather was so nasty as they claimed. Had to stop halfway to light a fire, but made it and was warm and fine after an hour in bed. Got enough candy for another week.

Ok, nobody forced me to choose the boring camping strategy, but still it would be better if it had not been possible to get through that way.

Edited by norup
  • Upvote 1

I get the sense the event is supposed to be fun, not challenging. I appreciate that it was easy enough that one did not have to sit indoors for 8 hours of real time just to complete. It was nice to just enjoy the game. Maybe they can include a difficulty setting for those seeking a serious challenge.