Doc Feral

DAY 4 (spoilers)

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Drifter Man said:

I had some shooting practice - I got one of the flare guns down to 12% condition before I ran out of shells but it didn't break or otherwise show any problems.

So did the practice help? Or do they still just kinda go wherever?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too much time on my very warm hands.

#organizedhomeisahappyhome

I am however down to one last jerrycan full of oil. Long game, I would have been more frugal about it, would have fished when I could. 

Screenshot from 2018-10-31 09-19-12.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now I know what it's like from the other side of the fence...all these people having fun playing the final day, and all I can do is read about it until this evening when I get home!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ajb1978 said:

Now I know what it's like from the other side of the fence...all these people having fun playing the final day, and all I can do is read about it until this evening when I get home!

I deliberately avoided the forums until I knew whether or not my house was aflame. :D

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope we get the opportunity to do this again soon, but with some changes. Don't tell us what's coming... force us to plan for EVERYTHING !! ....then throw it all at us... even if it means running two event levels... one for the more experienced and another for casual gamers... hell I would play both. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Cr41g said:

I really hope we get the opportunity to do this again soon, but with some changes. Don't tell us what's coming... force us to plan for EVERYTHING !! ....then throw it all at us... even if it means running two event levels... one for the more experienced and another for casual gamers... hell I would play both. 

This!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With nothing really left to do, I'm just cooking all my tea and coffee. I didn't have to keep a fire going this whole time. On the contrary, it's been a waste of wood. Coulda just sat around in the dark, writing novels in my head. or something. I guess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 4 is so boring, I have nothing to do, only sit down and wait 2 hours watching the blizzard from my cave ¬¬

screen_ae5502c6-0059-47f7-b5bc-e5285c2204f4_hi.png

Edited by TropicalSurvivor
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the end of Day 3, I ate my last candy bar. I'm at full 2000+ calories now and I have about 600 left in what remains of said candy bar. I have some firewood, but I don't think it's enough to last 2 hours real time. So I'm one of those who will certainly have to leave base to look for food and firewood. I have decent clothes but not the warmest (I think my outfit gives me +21ºC bonus), so yeah, it's going to be interesting later today when I'll be back home to play. From where I am, I could check a couple of caves, but the closest building is the Pleasant Valley Farmstead. If it's too cold and there's crappy visibility, I'll probably relocate there, as it doesn't really make sense to remain on Signal Hill at this point. Since I haven't looted the Farmstead yet, perhaps I'll find more resources to get me through the final day.

Meanwhile, I've enjoyed this experience immensely, especially thanks to this forum and you folks. For those who wish The Long Dark had a multiplayer mode, I'd say that this has felt a lot like multiplayer to me, in a sense! :)

–Rick

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TropicalSurvivor said:

Day 4 is so boring, I have nothing to do, only sit down and wait 2 hours watching the blizzard from my cave ¬¬

I'm listening to it from my oven-like cozy home, in the near-dark...

I guess, like someone said on this forum, 4DoN is an advertising event to bring in new blood. I  think it will work well, it's been mostly fun! 

One the clock runs out I'm going to try to get to the lake cabins....  but surely I'll die lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I woke up in the dam grabbed, read that indoors temps wouldn't save you grabbed all my wood and coal and headed out. First stop was a JOL just outside on the front lawn of the dam to see if they were warm. yep. warm enough to stand next to as the blizzard was kicking off but still getting wet and freezing clothes. Built a snow shelter and climbed in. Nice and warm but looked like my clothes weren't getting dry., hightailed it to the ravine and built a really warm fire and started settling in for the long haul. After about an hour of cooking and fire tending  with some small sorties for sticks I got bored and decided to brave the weather, with my gear and out of the wind it was way warmer than I have been in my deadman run so I figured how hard could it be. Headed out and got the camp office, no pie but I could warm myself inside no problem so slept then hightailed it to trappers. Got there with some minor Hypothermia risk found my first pie. Warmed up, slept etc and grabbed the pie and decided to hit an unlooted Milton. 

Made it to Milton no worries. barely needed a fire apart from water. picked up my pie from grandmas  (Grey Mothers house) just as I got my 4 day badge (single save, no deaths) ran to the farm and stole that pie too. Then decided I would head for where this all began and took myself off to the plane crash. Got there slightly hypothermic risk and found a nice lantern with a moose hide cloak which I immediately put on. Fashion! then down to the cave where I had a nice warming cup of coffee and finished off the last of my pie. 

With warm enough gear and good map knowledge the only real danger of heading outside seems to be trashing you clothes. 

20181031204042_1.jpg

20181031203949_1.jpg

 

20181031200053_1.jpg

20181031203208_1.jpg

Edited by DaveMcD
one wrong pic
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Morrick said:

Pleasant Valley Farmstead. If it's too cold and there's crappy visibility

I avoided this zone specifically because I got lost in a blizzard there once, during the day. No way I was going there willingly this time!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, reginaphalange said:

One the clock runs out I'm going to try to get to the lake cabins....  but surely I'll die lol.

You never know - I made it all the way back to CH again, looting some houses I missed on day 1 :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoyed this event immensely!  It was such great fun chatting with everyone who was going through the same challenges at the same time. Hearing their ideas and their thoughts on strategies and sharing discoveries.  Really, really enjoyed this.  The best part is it really brought me out of my comfort zone and made me realize that if I use my head and keep calm, I can survive, even thrive!  Heck, surviving that wolf attack that brought me down to 5 health, that was probably my most memorable challenge for 4DON.  I loved finding the jack-o-lanterns.  I found 4 of them!  I've NEVER found a hidden stash before so this was way fun!  

I agree with the others Hinterland, more events like this would be fantastic!  Challenging, comradery, educational, more comradery, failing, succeeding, so much fun!  Thank you all and have a very Happy Halloween!!!  :coffee:  (and keep warm out there!) :coffee:  :fire:

  • Upvote 4
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are we a paranoid bunch or what?

TWO WORDS:  "Fire" and "yet" and we move into caves thinking structures are going to burn down.

Hinterland must be laughing so hard at that one.

See what those wolves did to our heads?

  • Upvote 4
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ardawna said:

I enjoyed this event immensely!  It was such great fun chatting with everyone who was going through the same challenges at the same time. Hearing their ideas and their thoughts on strategies and sharing discoveries.  Really, really enjoyed this. . . .

I agree with the others Hinterland, more events like this would be fantastic!  

agree 100% .

Hey Hinterland!------ maybe do one in the springtime... finding chocolate eggs and bunnies....... (and beware the Killer Rabbits, or else.....)

Edited by reginaphalange
  • Upvote 4
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kiena said:

I started at PV farmhouse, but I left most of my good stuff in the cave, so I got there as fast as I could after grabbing a nice pie left for me on the counter - got So I'm very sad to say I'm really, really not enjoying today!  :o  I'm just sitting in a cave, doing nothing. I'm playing a mobile game on my tablet while I wait for the 2 hours to be up.  I loved prepping the last few days (there's a reason the blizzard-is-coming challenge is my favorite, by far), but I'm just bored now.

So I guess, if Hinterland is reading this, thanks for an amazing event, but I hope you tweak the last day next year!

Next year they really will burn all structures.  :o 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, stapeliad said:

Are we a paranoid bunch or what?

TWO WORDS:  "Fire" and "yet" and we move into caves thinking structures are going to burn down.

Hinterland must be laughing so hard at that one.

See what those wolves did to our heads?

Yeah, feel like bit of an idiot tbh :D But if it hadn't been for the fear of the fire, I would've sat in CO all day 3 and 4, and I'm glad I didn't!

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mmm, killer bunnies...

I had a Long Dark dream last night where it was spring, which made everything start to thaw before the blizzard and there was a pile of sticks just outside the house I was staying in. I was set when the blizzard started. ;)

I haven't done my two hours yet today, but I'll start it up after work. This was a lot of fun! Something new and different.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, DaveMcD said:

I woke up in the dam grabbed, read that indoors temps wouldn't save you grabbed all my wood and coal and headed out. First stop was a JOL just outside on the front lawn of the dam to see if they were warm. yep. warm enough to stand next to as the blizzard was kicking off but still getting wet and freezing clothes. Built a snow shelter and climbed in. Nice and warm but looked like my clothes weren't getting dry., hightailed it to the ravine and built a really warm fire and started settling in for the long haul. After about an hour of cooking and fire tending  with some small sorties for sticks I got bored and decided to brave the weather, with my gear and out of the wind it was way warmer than I have been in my deadman run so I figured how hard could it be. Headed out and got the camp office, no pie but I could warm myself inside no problem so slept then hightailed it to trappers. Got there with some minor Hypothermia risk found my first pie. Warmed up, slept etc and grabbed the pie and decided to hit an unlooted Milton. 

Made it to Milton no worries. barely needed a fire apart from water. picked up my pie from grandmas  (Grey Mothers house) just as I got my 4 day badge (single save, no deaths) ran to the farm and stole that pie too. Then decided I would head for where this all began and took myself off to the plane crash. Got there slightly hypothermic risk and found a nice lantern with a moose hide cloak which I immediately put on. Fashion! then down to the cave where I had a nice warming cup of coffee and finished off the last of my pie. 

With warm enough gear and good map knowledge the only real danger of heading outside seems to be trashing you clothes. 

20181031204042_1.jpg

20181031203949_1.jpg

 

20181031200053_1.jpg

20181031203208_1.jpg

Congratz! And now what?... Any ideas what to do with this badge? Any way to patch it proudly to Mackenzie's chest or something?...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

image.png.9537ccb27bdaf22f15936ba71153003a.png

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?  I'm just standing in a Lake Cabin (not even a good one).  I have good gear, but not exceptional.  No fire.  Not even the warmth of a lantern.

And while it's a disappointment that just clothing can assuage the fearsome Day-4, I am not at all disappointed in the event itself.  I had a great time: mostly speculating and over-preparing for the worst.  What a great ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, stapeliad said:

Are we a paranoid bunch or what?

TWO WORDS:  "Fire" and "yet" and we move into caves thinking structures are going to burn down.

Hinterland must be laughing so hard at that one.

See what those wolves did to our heads?

Well.. if you want paranoia, just think on this..

Yes, as others have said, Hinterland must have been laughing their heads off at the speculation and preparations many of us were making..

However..   if they've any sense at all, they've also been taking notes about evil things we worried about, that they can throw at us in future Halloween Events!

So just because nothing burnt down this time, and there was no mega-cabin-fever this year, doesn't mean that can't happen in 2019 or 2020. <evil grin>

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, NardoLoopa said:

image.png.9537ccb27bdaf22f15936ba71153003a.png

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?  I'm just standing in a Lake Cabin (not even a good one).  I have good gear, but not exceptional.  No fire.  Not even the warmth of a lantern.

And while it's a disappointment that just clothing can assuage the fearsome Day-4, I am not at all disappointed in the event itself.  I had a great time: mostly speculating and over-preparing for the worst.  What a great ride.

Did you just start? I found the temp to drop over time. I'm only half an hour in, but when I started for the day, my cave was warm enough. A cottage was just barely warm enough. By the time I got back to my cave, I needed a fire. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, reginaphalange said:

Hey Hinterland!------ maybe do one in the springtime... finding chocolate eggs and bunnies....... (and beware the Killer Rabbits, or else.....)

It may not be Spring 2019, or even Spring 2020, but someday when Hinterland can't resist the urge to introduce seasons to TLD, a Springtime event with that surprise would be EPIC!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now