Upvote or Like?

MarrowStone

At last someone is asking that question! What I can contribute: Like and Upvote each raise the rep count by +1. So no difference there. And: In olden times there was neither Upvote nor Like. At some point the Upvote came into being. So we could mark posts which we thought deserved more attention. Then, in a weak moment, someone added the Like. Maybe thinking if facebook has it, then it must be good. But it‘s not, because it is ambiguous.

17 hours ago, JAFO said:

Generally speaking, I 'Like' if I enjoyed what the poster said, and I 'Upvote' if I think the poster contributed some information of value.

Thank you, this makes the most sense because it adds more distinction between the two. Upvote for you! Now that I know both give the user a rep score I dont have to worry about not giving others the credit they deserve! haha.

I've seen upvotes used on a few other sites but it usually just seemed to make conversations harder to follow when upvoted stuff got *pinned* higher up in the chronologically sorted posts around it. It's most useful on sites where the topics are mainly questions.

I held out asking, but hopefully others confused by it that dont want to ask can learn from this.

On 31-10-2018 at 3:12 PM, JAFO said:

Generally speaking, I 'Like' if I enjoyed what the poster said, and I 'Upvote' if I think the poster contributed some information of value.

Exactly how I'm using this system. :D

Would love to hear if people use it differently and why. Could change my perspective on it haha.

Archived