Doc Feral

DAY 3 (spoilers)

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Civrilios said:

Tomorow the dam will be a pretty safe place to be I suppose.

BTW...

Me: Milton.

Prybar: ML.

Damn! I have to find another at Milton. No comment...

Unless the dam is inaccessible tomorrow....

Well, the most important gear is on my person, anyway, and I reckon I can make a snow shelter without destroying any of my clothes by knifing up pillows in the trailer, so that should mitigate the non-bedroll issue somewhat. I could probably sit in a shelter munching candybars for the rest of the challenge, if I can find a suitable wind break. Do you think it's bad for your health to try to eat 35,000 calories worth of chocolate in 2 days?

Be careful in Milton. There might be some wolves there!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Pillock said:

Do you think it's bad for your health to try to eat 35,000 calories worth of chocolate in 2 days?

No.  :)

Edited by stapeliad
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watch maybe tomorrow everything is totally fine, and someone at Hinterland is just dying of laughter looking at all this prep work we've been doing to prepare for anything from raging house fires, to aurora wolves indoors, blizzards, -80C temps, etc.  All because they said "yet".

  • Upvote 5
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really think they're sadists :huntingknife:  I don't anticipate it being that bad, but can't hurt to prepare!  Besides, like others have said, all the chatter on here has been refreshing :)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it possible to have an aurora AND a blizzard at the same time?  I've never noticed it in regular gameplay, but they might do it here.  Imagine, aurora wolves stalking you during near ZERO visibility. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Pillock said:

 

Be careful in Milton. There might be some wolves there!

 

Can't see any... flashlight is too bright, blinds me out :)

Edited by Civrilios
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

Watch maybe tomorrow everything is totally fine, and someone at Hinterland is just dying of laughter looking at all this prep work we've been doing to prepare for anything from raging house fires, to aurora wolves indoors, blizzards, -80C temps, etc.  All because they said "yet".

Couldn't agree more, all chalenges so far amounted to a slightly hardened stalker gameplay. I bet they wouldn't do anything to kill off all survivors, specially for the greener players who are having a hard time with the challenge already. That said I'm enjoying using the rifle a lot, it makes you nearly immortal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Khan_Drichthyes said:

Is it possible to have an aurora AND a blizzard at the same time?  I've never noticed it in regular gameplay, but they might do it here.  Imagine, aurora wolves stalking you during near ZERO visibility. 

It might be possible.  From what I've seen there are only a handful of weather patterns.  Clear, cloudy, light fog, dense fog, light snow, heavy snow, and blizzard.  But you never see the aurora at any time other than clear weather.  And you never see them blended except for a few seconds while it's transitioning from one type to another.  For example you never see heavy snow with dense fog.  Or an aurora with light snow.  You only ever see an aurora with a clear sky, and then only at night.  So I guess it depends on whether or not an aurora is classified as a weather type, or if it's its own thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd bet the aurora is a variation of the clear weather pattern, it only varies the intensity of the wind and the brightness of the lights. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Dan_ said:

 That said I'm enjoying using the rifle a lot, it makes you nearly immortal. 

The developers should have implemented "rifle-whipping" to allow players with zero cartridges left to continue the fight. I'm only half kidding. ;)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So ... I just got done with my 3rd day. My health dropped to 5 after an aurora wolf attack. Luckily I was where I could hunker down and sleep and heal enough to get back to the Camp Office. Damn! Didn't even get to harvest the wolf meat. That near miss really shook me good. I thought I was a goner for sure. Maybe I can get back on later and heal up and mend everything before the big blizzard hits. I have moved everything to Dave's clearing so that is something. Hopefully I have enough stores.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ardawna said:

So ... I just got done with my 3rd day. My health dropped to 5 after an aurora wolf attack. Luckily I was where I could hunker down and sleep and heal enough to get back to the Camp Office. Damn! Didn't even get to harvest the wolf meat. That near miss really shook me good. I thought I was a goner for sure. Maybe I can get back on later and heal up and mend everything before the big blizzard hits. I have moved everything to Dave's clearing so that is something. Hopefully I have enough stores.

Close call!

And the funny thing is, one cup of herbal tea and 12 hours uninterrupted rest, you're back at 100% no matter how banged up you were.  What the heck kind of herbs ARE those anyway?  Like the green plants from Resident Evil or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still alive! Just chilling out in the meadows farmstead rn in Milton.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I´m back with another char. Starting on day three is really, really tough - might be a challenge for the really skilled TLD players out there :)

Which might be interesting to other people who have to restart: There seems to be a grace period for new chars. I went to Coastal Town for loot and there were no wolves. I saw the first wolf after 40 minutes of playing. This seems pretty well balanced so you can get at least some loot. From then on the wolf population seems to increase slowly but steadily. But I found the flashlight this time. I hope, I´m gonna make it through the last 30 minutes, hehe.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm staying in the Quonset Garage in CH, too. I'll load up with all my goodies and park myself by the door. I'm curious to see if the wolves are sticking around. Blizzard is one thing, but blizzard + wolves? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

Close call!

And the funny thing is, one cup of herbal tea and 12 hours uninterrupted rest, you're back at 100% no matter how banged up you were.  What the heck kind of herbs ARE those anyway?  Like the green plants from Resident Evil or something.

Indeed!  Very close call.  Herbs are amazing things ... they are plants!  We all need to eat more plants!!!  It would be so amazing if Hinterland would add rice to the game.  Think of how amazing a 25 lb bag of rice would be.  Some major calories and it keeps forever!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still fighting through Milton area. Got 2nd pair of climbing socks and gauntlets after looting Milton houses. Found JoL near crashed plane - moose-hide cloak makes my day, also 10 bullets are worthy. Still no balaclava, but nowadays I have no problems with resisting cold - we will see tomorow... Countless wolf corpses mark my trail. Some I scary away by the flashlight - but they back. The hatchet is wet with blood. Some lucky green howlers are put down by a gunshot - they no suffer as much. Looking for more frozen dears, I have my boots and pants to repair.

Oh yes... Milton is satisfying my need of adventure. I feel strong, but still vigilant. I think I'm starting to understand the wolf's speech:

"Come out, come out, wherever you are!" - they howl. So I come out with light, steel and gunfire. I have no time for half-measures. I have to go back to ML before day 4.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So just out of sheer curiosity, I've set up 2 saves for Day 4 using my "real" save and a backup I've made. 

Main save: I'm in the ML cave by camp office with loot from cabins; everything but the bedroll is in my inventory.
Backup: I'm in the camp office with loot from cabins... except for the candy bars which I only found when I went back there a second time to check (whoops). BUT I've got a lot more wood, books, tinder here in the office upper floor (does heat rise in this game? I haven't checked lol). Nothing but the food is in my inventory.

Glad I'll get to experience whatever the "yet" is tomorrow under two different circumstances.... :D

Edited by reginaphalange
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Civrilios said:

Still fighting through Milton area. Got 2nd pair of climbing socks and gauntlets after looting Milton houses. Found JoL near crashed plane - moose-hide cloak makes my day, also 10 bullets are worthy. Still no balaclava, but nowadays I have no problems with resisting cold - we will see tomorow... Countless wolf corpses mark my trail. Some I scary away by the flashlight - but they back. The hatchet is wet with blood. Some lucky green howlers are put down by a gunshot - they no suffer as much. Looking for more frozen dears, I have my boots and pants to repair.

Oh yes... Milton is satisfying my need of adventure. I feel strong, but still vigilant. I think I'm starting to understand the wolf's speech:

"Come out, come out, wherever you are!" - they howl. So I come out with light, steel and gunfire. I have no time for half-measures. I have to go back to ML before day 4.

I've played around outside my usable saves and I cannot for the life of me get a killshot on a wolf (read: I died). Your prowess impresses me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm currently hanging out in the ML Lookout Tower, listening to Bach's Goldberg Variations play on the Aurora powered radio.  

It was playing Variation 1 when I turned it on, and now it's on Variation 4, but it seemed to skip ahead out of order.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AHHH!  I MACED MYSELF!

I stepped away for a few minutes to prep ingredients for supper and got hit bad with the onion fumes.

MY EYES!  THE FIRE!!!

Oh, no!  Will that be what awaits us tomorrow!?  A BLIZZARD OF FLAMING ONIONS FALLING FROM THE SKY!?!?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So almost done with Day 3 (about 15 min left). I've completely stocked up the bear cave not far from the Pleasant Valley Homestead.  Feeling pretty pleased, though I was hoping to hit the mine to CH, but got attacked on the way and turned around like a coward to heal up.  ;)

Also, if you are in PV and did not have a JOL at Signal Hill, mine magically appeared.  :o Which means I've gotten four JOLs in PV - very nice! A rifle, a flashlight, a moose satchel, and I'm not sure what special item the last one had - I think I got Mukluks in it, but I'm not sure if that's guaranteed.  Who the heck is going out among the aurora wolves to leave a Jack o' Lantern on top of a hill, though?

Edit: Just found a fifth JOL in PV. Had a second moose satchel in it. The JOL bandit really loves PV, I guess!

screen_6ad8b9e0-3242-4186-8b36-dc56537e8998.png

Edited by Kiena

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, after realizing my mistake (bear cave near trailer at CH) I've been transporting my stuff and gathering new stuff to the middle climb point cave below the lookout in CH.

140+ reclaimed wood, 40 cedar blocks, 30 fir blocks and about 40 coal. About 20 kgs of wolf meat and 6 candy bars left. Hopefully this will get me through the blizzard tomorrow.

chcave.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now