DAY 3 (spoilers)

Doc Feral

4 minutes ago, selfless said:

Everyone automatically gets incurable Cabin Fever. 

Hooray.

actually that's not a bad guess...and I would think easy to do from a programming aspect (change the numbers so they drop REAL fast)... couple that with a raging blizzard and you may have something there

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ajb1978 said:

Cabin Fever alone won't stop someone from hanging out indoors.  I mean hypothetically you could just stand in the corner for 2 hours real time and just endure the exhaustion damage.  2 hours real-time is 40 hours game-time.  Stay fed and hydrated, you'd still be at 60% health by the end.

Yup.  Just as hard as all the other days.  

2 minutes ago, selfless said:

Yup.  Just as hard as all the other days.  

From the perspective of long-term players who have cut their teeth on Interloper and lived to tell about it, no it hasn't been difficult at all.  I mean we know all the tricks, like day-starving, running naked through a blizzard knowing we have 12 real-time minutes before frostbite risk sets in, etc.

But considering it from the perspective of someone who maybe just bought this game last week, this all-aurora day would be pretty harrowing.

And honestly, regardless of how "difficult" it ends up being, I think we can all agree we've had a blast just trying to prepare and anticipate what will come next.  And I'd say that enjoyment is probably even greater for vets of this game, because our minds have run with so many possibilities, and mitigations to potential dangers.

Definitely.  I said this earlier but I'm getting more enjoyment out of this limited-time event than I do in normal play, because I'm not worried about the long term.  I'm not harvesting carcasses by hand to spare tool wear, or spending hours gathering sticks so I don't have to chop wood.  Or avoiding packs of wolves to spare my ammo.  Nope, I'm just in the moment, blowing away wolves that cross my path, hacking up tree limbs left and right.  I already wore out two hatchets, just because I can.

42 minutes ago, Ardawna said:

Do the jack-o-lanterns give off heat? :-O (mind blown)

Yes. When one of them appeared just outside the Radio Control Hut where I'm stationed, the Real Feel temperature when away from it was -15ºC. When close to it, it went to +8ºC.

1 hour ago, Khan_Drichthyes said:

AHHHH!!!!!

IT'S AN INVISIBLE FIRE-BREATHING DEMON FLUFFY!!!

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

:D

Sorry to hear about your electrifying finale.

This comment made my death worth it.

No it didn't give me my midnight badge!!!!

1 hour ago, Morrick said:

Speaking of wolves and caves, I apologise in advance for the newbie question, but I was wondering — if a wolf is chasing you and you manage to enter a cave by sprinting away from the wolf, will it follow you inside the cave? Or is there some sort of 'indoor threshold'? Thanks!

–Rick

in cave attack   I think this should answer the question....

9 minutes ago, Cr41g said:

in cave attack   I think this should answer the question....

Whoa, thank you. And that YouTuber decided to sleep 4 hours outside after the wolf attack with 31% health left… Can't decide whether that was brave or stupid. Unless he was sure to place the bedroll in a spot that couldn't be reached by a wolf.

2 hours ago, Mixxut said:

I... just died.....

Don't go in the dam on this day. I entered the dam and walked around it normally. And the all of a sudden I'm starting to burn! I go in to a panic mode and try to  escape, but the burning continues and I die... what a bullshit way to die, I swear I wasn't touching any wires... That's it for 4don for me.

Hinterland just posted a comment in the event info forum. They said that from now on you can still get the badges even if you die as long as you survive for 2 hours on each day. So if you re-start today you can still make it :D

I was planning on spending Day 4 at the bear cave north of Quonset Garage. I have now learned that it will not protect me even from the winds on day 3 so don't replicate my mistake peeps!! I will have to spend the rest of the evening trying to move into a better spot with aurora and the wolves around me x____x

in the video...if you watch to the end...it was a poor choice...again like so many have said here... its a game of choices and poor ones will get you killed. He should have stayed and not tried to push on to Milton... he should have stayed in the cave...started a fire and recovered condition before pressing on.. in the end the second wolf attack finished him.

The part I couldn't believe is he had a TON of candy bars and he was going to drop the coal he had, which he would have needed day 4 for wolf meat he didn't need...

I'm still at ML camp office, got some firewood stashed at the cave above DQC (just in case of day 4 FIRE burning down all internal locations), and - as usual - carrying 5 pieces of clothes and 15 sticks for a snow shelter in case of CF (I never drop them, as well as sleeping bag, hatchet, some matches and an empty can. Just in case of unexpected (haha) blizzard, mysterious teleportation to a random location, UFO abduction or something like that).

Is anybody considering further exploration at day 3, or just I am so crazy? Milton still awaits me... and I feel a bit bored after killing couple wolves by my hatchet (tried to figure out how the flashlight works - never bothered it before, but now I know how to press RMB, which makes me feel pretty invincible).

I'm all stacked up for day 4. I've had my base in ML Camp Office and today I moved everything I had (except those damn magnifying glasses that keep mocking me) to the cave by the lake cabins. The way there through the lake trail was completely safe. Only one wolf patrolling beyond the cabins and a few further out on the lake, so if you're only going to the cave you don't have to worry about wolf attacks. I also found a jack-o-lantern by the cabins containing a flashlight!

After hauling everything (took me 3 trips) to the cave I went into the lake cabins and chopped up everything I could. I now have about 100 pieces of reclaimed wood, 10 pieces of fir wood and 5 of cedar. I also have like 60 tinder, 20 books, 80 matches and 3 firestarters, 15 accelerant and maybe 30 sticks. And, though I probably don't need them, I have about 15 flares I can use to start fires as well and 7 kg of lantern fuel to use as accelerant if needed. I also have 2 pots to boil water in, a bunch of coffee and tea I plan to warm up and drink to get the additional warmth bonus and enough candy bars to last me at least 15 in game days.

BRING IT ON!

OK, I'm ready for the world to BURN!!! 

Moved down to the cave "between the ropes" under the Abandoned Lookout in CH.  There's a fairly sheltered fire spot on both the left and right walls, so one or the other (or both!) should work. 

image.thumb.png.0995a078670474c5875a4c6cba57e3b8.png

Very nice very from here too!

image.thumb.png.1a0417a89d48428511bf3e14c4df4981.png

For my Milton save I'm just going to stay inside the greymother's house.  It's the best spot for a close up view of the action -- even if the action is burning to death. :D

At work so I've not had a chance to start Day 3 yet, but reading from all your comments:

• If HL wanted to force us outside, I also think an "accelerated cabin fever" could do the trick.  I seriously doubt they would burn down all buildings (including the dam?)
  • I hear everyone moving to caves.  I'm going to take my chances keeping my main base at Quonset.  I will load up with the essentials just in case, but I'm not counting on being evicted!  I imagine quite a community outrage if HL were to do this.
  • Speculating on Day 4:  from reading HL Event Info post - I'm guessing temperatures plummet (including indoors) and staying warm (with fire) will be the primary goal.  I have 100 reclaimed wood stocked but am going to stock more today - just in case.  Pumpkin Pies??  <shrug> maybe provide a warmth bonus?  We'll see :) 

3 hours ago, Mixxut said:

I... just died.....

Don't go in the dam on this day. I entered the dam and walked around it normally. And the all of a sudden I'm starting to burn! I go in to a panic mode and try to  escape, but the burning continues and I die... what a bullshit way to die, I swear I wasn't touching any wires... That's it for 4don for me.

All my stuff... is in.... the dam.... What am I going to do?

Really sorry to hear that, but thanks for sharing the warning. I'd assumed it'd be alright if I was careful to avoid the sparky cables, but now I'm not sure I want to risk going back in there at all.

I currently don't have a bedroll, so I'm getting increasingly worried about the prospect of indoor places being off limits on Day 4. Just hope I can find more coffee, I guess! (I used up a bunch of it yesterday getting in and out of the Ravine Basin, all for the flare gun which I only have 3 shells for).

32 minutes ago, Pillock said:

All my stuff... is in.... the dam.... What am I going to do?

Really sorry to hear that, but thanks for sharing the warning. I'd assumed it'd be alright if I was careful to avoid the sparky cables, but now I'm not sure I want to risk going back in there at all.

I currently don't have a bedroll, so I'm getting increasingly worried about the prospect of indoor places being off limits on Day 4. Just hope I can find more coffee, I guess! (I used up a bunch of it yesterday getting in and out of the Ravine Basin, all for the flare gun which I only have 3 shells for).

I had my stuff in the two lockers in the first room and I had no issues with fire when I got them. But I just went in, took my belongings and got out again. Good luck!

Archived