Complaining about carrying too much

peteloud

Jacksy,

I find his whining about being hungry or thirsty is useful.  That only starts when his hunger or thirst is about to become a serious problem and needs acting upon, whereas his whining about how much he is carrying comes on when it is not an important problem.

The funniest dialogue is when McKenzie climbs two 30 meter ropes while carrying a full bag of supplies, runs around forever only slowing down to catch another short breath and when he finally arrives at his shelter, takes a short second to compose himself and mutters:

"Why am I so tired?"

:D

Guest Gamer935

It is pretty annoying If he said it less times I would be fine with it 

But on the other hand sometimes I miss the litle warning at the bottom of the screen 

23 hours ago, FireCraft78 said:

I think what the devs could do is adding some more options in game settings so that you can turn off the desired complaints.

Complaint? i am amazed that such a good game does not have the option to look left or right or behind.

On 10/30/2018 at 12:20 AM, Dan_ said:

The funniest dialogue is when McKenzie climbs two 30 meter ropes while carrying a full bag of supplies, runs around forever only slowing down to catch another short breath and when he finally arrives at his shelter, takes a short second to compose himself and mutters:

"Why am I so tired?"

:D

Indeed! There are similar instances when the guy utters something that feels a little off with regard to the situation at hand. For example, there was this time I arrived at the Abandoned Lookout in Coastal Highway at dusk. I enter, drop some items, and start a fire in the stove. Tea is brewing. The guy says (I'm paraphrasing): "Looks like night's about to fall. Better find some shelter." :D

I guess it's because part of the game code treats places like the Lookouts, Mountaineer's Hut, and certain caves, as 'outdoor'.

–Rick

I'd like to suggest that your character say it even more, but only when all of his skills are still at the beginner level, I think as he/she approaches the higher levels it should reduce commensurately and by the time you have maxed them all out, it should only happen once in a great while or when you are injured/starving.

I'm reminded of the older generation and their tales of having to walk to school in the snow and not complaining about it :P

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:22 PM, deathbydanish said:

suggest that your character say it even more, but only when all of his skills are still at the beginner level

Great idea @deathbydanish
The quotes from TLD are a fun part of family trips to the grocery store. We really enjoy this game. :P
The system is expectedly repetitive when struggling in a survival situations in game...and I agree that the "...too much gear..." quotes trigger a bit early.

Back in my early days of playing with the volume up and the room lights off, and my mind saturated with the 'Elegy Video', it seemed so strange to have the voice of the survivor say "...I hope nobody needs this anymore..." when picking up an old piece of newsprint to light a fire. :coffee:

Heh, I always chalked it up to the "nature" of the played character. I am not going to lie - If I had to drag all that gear around, I would complain about it non-stop as well.

But there are some "strange" dialogs for sure. I always found it kind of funny when he says "I hope noone needs this anymore" when you find certain gear. Especially if that gear is of no use to you. 

I get the purpose of this topic, in a way I even find myself in agreement with you all. But, taking away these things, you have absolute silence. If you take away the music as well, you are playing in total silence with the exception of game sounds - from experience, I believe this helps contribute to the feeling of "bored" after a while.

So maybe these partly awkward lines actually have a sense behind them. To provide a sort of subconcious immersion. Yes, we may feel annoyed by those remarks, but without them it is just deadly silence.

The comments about weight (feels like  a lot of gear, gonna have to drop some gear, etc.) mark when you pass certain thresholds (appears to be 31, 40, 50, 60 kilos).  When I do something that bounces my encumbrance up and down around a threshold, I can get irritated but then I turn off the voice until I am done. I have actually forgotten to turn it back on and kind of sheepishly turn it on, much later, after wondering why he was so silent. O.o

The only comment on encumbrance that really drives me wild is, get this, when  he clears his throat just before saying something like "gotta drop some gear". It may be an artifact of the recording, but whenever I hear that my mood changes and not for the good, but that's just me.

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 12:45 PM, UTC-10 said:

The comments about weight (feels like  a lot of gear, gonna have to drop some gear, etc.) mark when you pass certain thresholds (appears to be 31, 40, 50, 60 kilos).  When I do something that bounces my encumbrance up and down around a threshold, I can get irritated but then I turn off the voice until I am done. I have actually forgotten to turn it back on and kind of sheepishly turn it on, much later, after wondering why he was so silent. O.o

Welcome to the forum @UTC-10.
Your post is a perfect description of what is known as "Alarm Flooding".
The software triggers multiple notices of deviation and eventually and alarm point warning, (so long as the control console user has not silenced/acknowledged the alarms out of frustration from to many low level warning messages).

In the game The Long Dark, we don't have to acknowledge the low level notices, so we just speak to our computer and tell the character to toughen-up and "...drop your attitude..." if you want to carry less.

Really enjoyed reading your experiences, good luck my friend. :coffee:

• 3 weeks later...

I like to heckle Wil as he trudges around grumping about this and that.

"Shut it princess"

"Suck it up buttercup"

"It's not that heavy Dude"

"Awwww muffin"

"it's just a sprain Dude...Walk it off...Walk it off"

LAMO "MEDIC! OMG OMG OMG A SPRIANED WRIST CALL A HELICOPTER!"

Thank the Gods that he does not complain when you turn off food poisoning and force him to eat 20% food. lol

spoiled-meat.jpg

EAT IT! EAT IT! EAT IT! AWWWWWWWWW! Nasty..... lmao

32 minutes ago, Yang_Tomoe said:

I like to heckle Wil as he trudges around grumping about this and that.

"Shut it princess"

"Suck it up buttercup"

"It's not that heavy Dude"

"Awwww muffin"

"it's just a sprain Dude...Walk it off...Walk it off"

LAMO "MEDIC! OMG OMG OMG A SPRIANED WRIST CALL A HELICOPTER!"

Thank the Gods that he does not complain when you turn off food poisoning and force him to eat 20% food. lol

spoiled-meat.jpg

EAT IT! EAT IT! EAT IT! AWWWWWWWWW! Nasty..... lmao

This exactly!!  My friend was kicking back on the couch while I was playing and asked me who I am talking to. I didnt even realise that I had said something since it has just become part of the playing experience. 

We had a really good laugh about it when I explained what was happening! 

Здравствуйте, лично у меня нет жалоб, но спасибо всем тем, кто создал эту игру и спасибо большое за расположение долины безмолвной реки, местность великолепна, но только одна деталь отсутствует там.
Верстак, дома не нужна пещера, есть это живое существо, и это хорошо, лекарственных растений тоже.
И нет верстака, а жаль.
И спасибо за все:)

Archived