Fire temperature = Zero

BareSkin

Just sharing this with everyone: be careful if you want to sleep near a fire: I've had a case under the Lookout in CH where my fire was more than 4h, and its temperature bonus was zero. Made me smile a bit since I didn't plan to sleep nearby, but if that's your case, take care about it! That's be a bit sad to die from this bug and miss the badges.

Place: under the CH Lookout, at the houses under the rope (it's usually also a rabbit place, and bear place). Only thing strange I did in the fire, I used a firlog I found in the house, those big 2kg hardwood.

Happened only once, the other fires where just fine.

So they didn't bother to re-balance the torch-creation mechanic when they made fires last longer in the new eternal darkness.  So you can easily pull more torches out of a fire now than it has heat remaining resulting in a zero degree fire. (RECAP: Pulling a torch from a fire subtracts 10 minutes and 1 degree of heat to produce said torch) I had hoped to create a negative degree invert fire but alas they did think of something and have it fixed to stay at zero even if more torches come out.

INFINITY FIRE:  It is also possible to pull torches from a fire, break them down into sticks, then reinsert those sticks to get a longer and hotter fire than you started with.  Theoretically, starting a small fire using just two sticks can be exploited into an eternal blazing inferno that just keeps shedding extra torches by just pulling out a torch, breaking it down, and reinserting it over and over.

2 hours ago, selfless said:

INFINITY FIRE:  It is also possible to pull torches from a fire, break them down into sticks, then reinsert those sticks to get a longer and hotter fire than you started with.  Theoretically, starting a small fire using just two sticks can be exploited into an eternal blazing inferno that just keeps shedding extra torches by just pulling out a torch, breaking it down, and reinserting it over and over.

I have GOTTA try that.. just for the lols.

2 hours ago, Gazbeard said:

I believe it only works with Fire skill 5 ... 12 minutes fire per stick v 10 minute reduction for pulling a torch

In the normal game yes but actually no because it takes two minutes to break down the stick so its a wash. And plus one degree temp for a minus one.  Balanced.

But 4DoN has buffed ALL wood products to 200% of their normal burn times at skill one.  So that stick always returns at least 15 minutes burn time from 12 total minutes to manufacture, creating a burn-time economy.  Surplus burn-time becomes extra sticks which then become extra degrees of temperature.  And then you can abuse the hard zero to remove some torches without paying the temperature difference and add them back for full effect, spiraling into the INFINITY FIRE!

2 hours ago, selfless said:

So that stick always returns at least 15 minutes burn time from 12 total minutes to manufacture, creating a burn-time economy.  Surplus burn-time becomes extra sticks which then become extra degrees of temperature.  And then you can abuse the hard zero to remove some torches without paying the temperature difference and add them back for full effect, spiraling into the INFINITY FIRE!

I must be doing something wrong.. I keep losing out by one minute every time I recycle a torch. Maybe I need to do it using more than just two sticks.

Archived