BareSkin is Horrified [roleplay]

BareSkin

Day1

I'm alone now. Like, for real.

The batteries in the radio died quite quickly, they were old. I found this oldie in the basement, nobody uses this stuff nowadays, you know, with all the cellphones. My cellphone is still working but for what purpose now? The connections stopped few hours ago, everybody was still interconnected, speaking of some catastrophe, but you now, information nowadays, you can't rely on it. At least the cellphone made a good light source to find some matches, the candles, and then the radio.

The religious ones spoke of Judgment day, for the geek ones that was alien attack... Whatever happened, same bullshit all around the place. No real information. Just the panic of a world made of children of all ages.

I understood that nobody understood what happened, and when the radio batteries died I went looking for a pen and this journal.

I never thought that Cabin-on-the-lake trip would be so... introspective. Yes, I wanted to back a bit from the world, yes my work was too stressful and I was near burn-out. Yes,  I complained a lot. But still, now that I've lost it, I would like to go back to it. I'd prefer being at work, in the hundred-feets tower, in the city, with people, than being here all alone. I can't stay alone with all this silence, so I write things down, the silence is full of terror. The silence forces me to think about myself.

What they were saying was true, even if they didn't know a damn thing about its cause: the sun is not rising anymore. The first countries panicking, it was funny to the others, but then everyone saw it was true and stopped laughing, everyone had to face the same fate. The whole Earth didn't see the sun rising this morning, and now that it's sunrise time on Jackrabbit, I had to face it myself: it is true.

I know I should plan ahead, but I can't. I'm too used to be helped, I'm too used about everything being easy. I feel an immense weight on my shoulders: isn't it useless to try something? Am I not doomed anyway, whatever I try?

[the writing becomes less fluid, you can feel the cold and the fatigue in the handwriting]

I'm in the sheets now because of the cold, and I can't do anything else than turning my thoughts to my inner self.. This whole "retreat" thing was a bad idea, my marriage and my work were not that bad. I've been so self-centered. Now, I miss my children. I start crying.

Tomorrow, I'll try to survive, I want to try everything I can to see my children once again, tell them I love them. But there's no "tomorrow", the sun will never show up again. From now on, "tomorrow" is "when the fog lifts and the winds die".

Day 1, next clear weather

I can here the winds have died. If the night is supposed to stay for long, the temperatures will drop. I must find some better clothes. I wake up, head outside and see the shore, with many fishing huts: maybe someone left some stuff in it before the catastrophe began? There's also the neighbor house. The man is a real misanthrope, he never answered to any of my greetings, be it verbal or just waving hand from my own cabin. I'll start there, then the fishing huts should at least give me some fuel, I've seen people using them during a whole night so there should be some wood there.

I had to brake his door. The neighbor had ski boots, and I found it funny, since I imagine skiing as being a social activity! Well, I took them cause they're warm, bt I'm very clumsy now, but that was not a big deal for walking on the flat ice. I've never worn ski boots before.

screen_2bcdc721-74c5-4eb0-864f-19959427d818.thumb.png.9d942dc8bdedebcb5a05d2a35ef4b449.png

I also found some other good clothing in the house and huts, now I feel way better. One thing is bothering me: I didn't find anything to eat, this is very weird and makes me a bit stressed out, since I didn't see anything alive. I'm the only one alive in here it seems. Did I miss the Great Bearxit?

Next moonlight, I'll continue looking for more cloth and calories. I visited the old mine last year during my last Cabin-retreat, I might find some coal in it? I leave everything in the fridge, since it has no power anymore it makes a good closet. My biological clockwork tells me it's time to sleep.

Day 1

I'm in the mine entrance now. On the way, passing by the fishing huts again, I was thinking: maybe with the prybar I found I could break the ice in one of the fishing huts? I will need to find food, I'm starved, I have to try everything to find calories.

But when I arrived on the land, I followed a river upstream and found tons of cattails. Doubtful in the beginning, I tried eating one of the stalks: Grandma was right to make us try when we were kids, it's edible. My last cattails stalks was maybe 30 years ago. I loved these summer holidays at grandma's place, this cabin I now come to once a year. I missed my grandma for several years when she passed away, but I can feel her smiling perfume behind my shoulders when I eat cattails. I took all the cattails I could. More than 50.

There was a small house on the left, I found a simple parka in it. I had to patch in on the left arm with a piece of curtain and a fishing tackle found in the fishing huts. It's very warm now. Like often, simpler is better. I was dehydrated and told myself I should not wait too much to make a fire and boil some snow, but wanted to find the mine entrance before while I can benefit the moon light.

screen_8e5786ea-bf4b-4d80-a882-2be855b4e7f2.thumb.png.ae725ccfd3c057d777b450126f481ca0.png

I continued upstream looting cattails, and ended up finding a dead body. The poor guy/gal died with 5 rifle shells. I could swear someone murdered him/her in order to take the rifle. Humankind is so weak. As soon as we can, we kill each other.

For a long time I could find the Mine entrance. I ended up sleeping in a trailer near a railway end. From the old times Great Bear had an industry. From the old times I could listen to Grandma's horror stories near the fireplace.

I found the mine entrance on next moonlight, after a short warming pause in an abandoned wooden lookout. From the old times there was a summer and the forest had to be checked for fires, I guess. It's useless now, but there's a great view towards the shore, in the sunset axis. But there is no sunset anymore.

Archived