Candy bars turnng to dust

Doc Feral

Luckily only two were affected. Those I had with me. That forced me to a desperate and slow overencumbered starving march and now I didn't even make it to the ravine, I'm stuck at the fishing camp and I've had enough for today. Tomorrow I'll try to get out of CH with a wolf infestation going on.

this would be great if it were an actual built in mechanic... everyone feeling content with finding a plethora of candy bars day 1...and then having them all turning to dust at the start of day 2.... forcing everyone to venture outside in search of calories and not hunker down in a structure for the remaining three days

Im 100% certain you are seeing the remmants of an unfinished candy bar. They're 2500 cals and that is how much you can fit in your player total. When you eat qith some cals still in you and she/he is full the leftovers go back in your bag. It happens with all food but in TLD you are rarely that full to notice.

57 minutes ago, DaveMcD said:

Im 100% certain you are seeing the remmants of an unfinished candy bar. They're 2500 cals and that is how much you can fit in your player total. When you eat qith some cals still in you and she/he is full the leftovers go back in your bag. It happens with all food but in TLD you are rarely that full to notice.

The amount of calories in a food item are directly tied to their weight.  Items with a poor calorie-to-weight ratio, like salmon, it's quite easy to have little 12 calorie nuggets left over.  However items with an excellent ratio, like 2500cal 0.1kg candy bars, I don't think you can get a 12 cal nugget left over.  The item's weight would have been reduced to 0.00048kg, which I believe is well below the game's threshold and the item would have disappeared from inventory.

Edited for math fail.

I did notice this with my candy bars too.  I have picked up a ton of cat tails. It seems they are the only food out there other than deer carcasses and killing the demon wolves and of course the candy bars. I keep going to sleep and then am surprised when it's still dark.LOL! This has been great fun, intense, but great fun!

Depending on where you are searching, there are still some regular candy bars on the map - these are the regular 250 calorie bars and usually found inside houses.
The 2500 calorie bars are most commonly found on the trick or treat plates outside the front door of houses (I've only found those plates at houses and not at other buildings).  There are some 2500 candy bars at other locations and of course in the jack-o-lantern caches.
Also, I've noticed that the 250 calorie value only shows on candy bars at less than 48% condition ... but this could be co-incidence.

On 10/29/2018 at 10:50 AM, DaveMcD said:

This makes a lot of sense and I wish I'd thought of it earlier! I've been wondering why so many of my candy bars seem to be dwindling. Now I feel slightly stupid.

I managed to find the rifle early on and have accumulated a steady supply of bullets, so I've killed a couple of wolves and harvested every dead deer I've come across. That's keeping me pretty well fed along with the candy bars. I would definitely suggest harvesting any deer carcasses you find because you'll need that meat to supplement the candy bars. I've run across quite a few.

Happened to me after I went from CoastalHwy to Pleasant Valley. I had one bar left and when I ate it in Pleasant, it had dropped to minimal calories. I found a pumpkin up in the valley near the mine with 4 bars in it and I ate one and it was a full 2500. 

Yes, the maximum total of calories is 2500, so special candy bars were supposed to be eaten when the calorie count is 0 and you are actually starving. The stomach icon must be red, or you'll find yourself with some ridiculous leftover. What got me (and others) in trouble was that I saw two candy bars in the inventory and went off feeling secure without reading the info.

Archived