Day 1 (SPOILERS)

hozz1235

Does anyone think/expect the loot will be refreshed in the next day of the challenge? I've been methodically looting the entire of CH (which is what I normally do anyway) when it suddenly occurred to me: if I loot everything now there will be literally no reason for me to come back here ever in the next 3 days...

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't expect the loot to be refreshed. My guess is that the 2-hour timer will only run when you are outdoors, but who knows. In any case, I hardly see any reason to go anywhere, so I'm really curious what they come up with.

Do the J.O.L's disappear once you've discovered them? I can't find one I found earlier near my base.

2 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

Regarding pumpkins in CH, how about some spoilers?  We're a few hours away from the end of day 1, but I know some of you are still looking for the basics (like a rifle).  If you're ready for a map, click below.

Reveal hidden contents

There are two pumpkin caches in CH, in four possible locations.  In fact, they seem to be paired -- if you find one, your second cache should be the same color.  Each pair has a rifle cache and a flashlight cache.  The caches themselves include better clothing (flashlight = gloves, rifle = pants), candy bars and other supplies. 

ch-caches.thumb.png.11348adf9160d0b6b2b0f7b415519e7e.png

Hope this helps!

Sadly, that CH map is missing at least one pair - my rifle lantern was in Silent Clearing, but I never found the flashlight lantern.  I spent over two hours wandering around CH, looking for the second one. I thought I'd gone everywhere on the map, but I must have missed something.  Very frustrating, I should have moved on sooner!

3 minutes ago, Drifter Man said:

I wouldn't expect the loot to be refreshed. My guess is that the 2-hour timer will only run when you are outdoors, but who knows. In any case, I hardly see any reason to go anywhere, so I'm really curious what they come up with.

Do the J.O.L's disappear once you've discovered them? I can't find one I found earlier near my base.

I was wondering if they shift on a timer or something as I found on in an area I passed by and thought I would've surely seen it before. I have however passed by a previous found one and it was still there.

If I was designing the 4DON challenge I'd force the players out by making them trick or treat certain dwellings. "No Candy? Well I'm going to wolf guts your front step then"

11 minutes ago, Drifter Man said:

The only thing I might expect is that perhaps there will be new lantern-type spawns that weren't there on Day 1. Perhaps more candy bars? But 'general' loot, perhaps not.

I've still only been to sea-level parts of CH and I've got millions of everything: matches, warm clothes, lantern, fuel, flares, gun&ammo, etc., and I haven't eaten a single one of my candybars yet.  So I'm wondering whether to settle down and wait out the coming hardships. But it's 2 real-time hours, and I'm not sure I want to spend that time sitting indoors doing nothing, even if I could! And the one thing I haven't found yet is a hatchet or a hammer! I'm not putting Day 1 to bed until I get one, because tomorrow is Wolfpocalypse and I'm damned if I'm going out there against them without anything decent to fight back with. I don't know what the struggle severity settings will be, but it doesn't seem worth the risk!

23 minutes ago, Kiena said:

Sadly, that CH map is missing at least one pair - my rifle lantern was in Silent Clearing, but I never found the flashlight lantern.  I spent over two hours wandering around CH, looking for the second one. I thought I'd gone everywhere on the map, but I must have missed something.  Very frustrating, I should have moved on sooner!

Good to know.  I only ran 6 toons around so my sample size is pretty tiny. 

13 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

I just tried it again and it worked for me too.   Maybe I've just been playing way too many hours. :D

:D. Same here, I've been on an absolute marathon, finished looting all maps. Missed the whole border region between Pensive Pond and Three Strikes in PV and the Cabins under the Lookout in CH. I'm pretty sure there are many people here with better loot but I'm happy with my haul, missed only another Cowichan and another pair of climbing socks for the perfect haul. :coffee:

Got a rifle ( only one!! ), 60 bullets, two bows and 8 arrows, the Flare gun with six spare shells and more candy bars than I can count. Pretty happy to play with these other items that I usually do not have in my sandbox characters!

20181028222806_1.thumb.jpg.b838e656cc451f308a64d536c708a77d.jpg

3 minutes ago, Khan_Drichthyes said:

I have.  I made four 1-hour attempts with no success. 

Good to know, I was considering getting more fish for food and lamp oil but I guess the low skill level impacts heavily or there is literally no wildlife whatsoever. Thanks for the info! :flaregun:

36 minutes ago, Dan_ said:

I've been on an absolute marathon, finished looting all maps.

Similar experience here, a tour of the island under moonlight :) I was a bit luckier with flare shells but I think we both are as ready as we can be. I'm waiting at the PV Farmstead.

And watch out, I've just read in another thread that you must survive with the same character/save for all 4 days to get the prize! So if you die, you die. This is TLD.

screen_5ad41ccc-b35c-4fda-959e-67cea86c7748.png

screen_e39647f7-0cdc-4b4f-86b6-c28d8ee5a951.png

7 minutes ago, Drifter Man said:

Similar experience here, a tour of the island under moonlight :) I was a bit luckier with flare shells but I think we both are as ready as we can be. I'm waiting at the PV Farmstead.

And watch out, I've just read in another thread that you must survive with the same character/save for all 4 days to get the prize! So if you die, you die. This is TLD.

I'm going all in with all my eggs in one basket here as well. I guess this is the risk reward playoof between 'Loot All The Maps / armed to the teeth" and "I have a diversified portfolio for my retirement"

12 minutes ago, stapeliad said:

No fish... I tried a few times.

Loot is MUCH better in ML than CH.
I'm running 2 different games.  Cannot find the rifle jack o' lantern in ML.

I have 2 Rifles, neither of those came from ML (found both jack-o-lanterns there) Which isnt to say it can't happen. PV was loot city as far as I'm concerned- plus there was 3 lanterns in PV for me. They must've had a massive sale on heavy coats and strangely enough - can openers. I swear I found more than a dozen can openers 3 from the one container.

After playing for the past 8 hours, and not finding a rifle, I found one at Silent Clearing in Coastal Highway. 

I literally covered every single area of the map, and only found that one jack=o=lantern. 

I'm hiding out in Quonset now, and have loot divided between Quonset at Coastal Highway and Lake Office and Mystery Lake. 

I looked all over Pleasant Valley and couldn't find a single JOL.  I found one at Mystery Lake which gave me the flashlight. 

For future reference, it might be a good idea for the Devs to let people know ahead of time when certain items are only found on 'Easter Eggs' a.k.a. JOLs in this case ie .... that the only way you can find the rifle is on JOLs.  I literally spent an entire day looking for a rifle in the 'usual spots' on 3 different maps.  If I had known they could only be found on JOLs ........ I might have spent more time prepping my gear. 

10 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

Nice haul!  Have you decided where you are going to base? 

I decided on the Dam. Partly as its central (minor stashes left in nearby zones) plus close to the ravine for some hopefully wolf free lumberjacking (if necessary later to collect lots of wood before blizzard, bit redundant, i'm living in crate and pallet city) plus it was where I was when I needed to stash most of my gear for weight reasons. It also has a nice wolf free (under normal circumstances :/ ) outdoor area with a nice sniping position on the rock ledge. One thing I never noticed before is how many light fittings there on the power lines above the ML train tracks for potential safe aurora movement - we'll see I guess.

Although I have just realised getting through the dam on night 3 might be a bit difficult / impossible with all those damn fizzing wires everywhere. 

21 minutes ago, DaveMcD said:

I decided on the Dam. Partly as its central (minor stashes left in nearby zones) plus close to the ravine for some hopefully wolf free lumberjacking (if necessary later to collect lots of wood before blizzard, bit redundant, i'm living in crate and pallet city) plus it was where I was when I needed to stash most of my gear for weight reasons. It also has a nice wolf free (under normal circumstances :/ ) outdoor area with a nice sniping position on the rock ledge. One thing I never noticed before is how many light fittings there on the power lines above the ML train tracks for potential safe aurora movement - we'll see I guess.

Although I have just realised getting through the dam on night 3 might be a bit difficult / impossible with all those damn fizzing wires everywhere. 

I landed in Milton at the grey mother's house.   Mostly I wanted a spot with a good vantage point.  I have about a half cord of firewood out on the porch for Day 2... here's hoping campfires still work on the new wolf packs.  I expect to feel like Wyatt Earp defending the town from fanged and furred invaders.  :D

I'm at Rabbit Grove!

Not at all where I was intending to start from tomorrow, but I've run out of time and energy to play anymore for tonight. Never managed to get out of CH - but at least that should mean I have plenty to find on my travels on Day 2:wolf::wolf::wolf:

I'm extremely angry with myself right now because I absent-mindedly left two bedrolls and all my cooking pots down by the Coastal Houses across the street from the Townsite, so now I can't even boil water unless I go back there. And I don't want to trek back across the whole map when it's even fuller of wolves than normal. But I have warm clothes, gun n ammo, flares, flashlight, hatchet, knife, 8 (or 9?) candybars and 25 cattails. Just don't have any water apart from 3 cups of coffee, and no way of making more without travel - potentially very, very dangerous travel. All because I'm stupid.

But so it is. At least during tomorrow's frivolities it'll force me not to cower indoors for 2 hours before quitting.

I foolishly got lost twice trying to get to the Abandoned Lookout from the Log Sort, so I lost a lot of time. Weather didn't help at all. Found very little useful loot. Not much food. And only one Jack-O-Lantern. At least I have a decent amount of water and decent clothes. The plan was to hole up at the Abandoned Lookout to avoid danger and have a good vantage point. Then I decided to explore the Cinder Hills Coal Mine in the hope to find more stuff. Took some flares and coal, then I decided to try Pleasant Valley. Found a bit more stuff (not much) at the Rural Crossroads' houses, then I took a long long walk to Signal Hill. I'm tired and time's running out, so I've ultimately decided to make my base at the Radio Control Hut. Unfortunately I haven't managed to find a prybar, so no car trunks and no lockers. I also have little food. I guess I have to muster up the courage to go hunting tomorrow...

Good luck to you all out there. Stay safe :-)

–Rick

I only got through half of CH. Started in the bay and got the two islands, coastal cottages, coastal town site, and the surrounding area. 

Flares are the only wolf defense I found but I have over ten of them, i didn't find a hatchet, pry bar, jack o lanterns, or caches either.

I am sitting well on everything else. Mid-high tier clothing, plenty of water, drinks, and candy, firewood pile with a hacksaw to get more, a full Jerry can, and a good amount of medicine.

Not sure if I'll stay in the town though, I might try making it to misanthrope or the mine and stay put there.

Wandered around CH, looting the town, then ping-ponged around the huts and Log Sort etc. Finally found a rifle pumpkin up in Silent Clearing.

Decided to come here and see if there were threads for this, and folks started saying they had 70+ ammo, I'm like WHAAAAAAT I only have like 16. So I grabbed what I could from the Mine and with two hours to spare before 11pm, went through Ravine to ML to see what I could find. Cleared as much of the Dam as I could, walked around Alan's Cave to the Office, to the Logging trailers, and ran out of time. I didn't have my rifle with me, so I HAD to be back at CH gas station by 11pm. Shut the door of the gas station with 2 minutes to spare. Did end up with a total of 40 ammo, a couple of arrows, but no bow.

But I feel like I'm screwed now. Crumbling Highway is blocked off, and I'm wondering if I should've chosen another base. I could load up as much as I can and head to PV, but that sounds like a bad move at this point. 

Fighting my way out of the gas station in CH, one wolf at a time. Lots of cloth and sewing. Is it me or is the Herbal Tea restoring health VERY fast?

Archived