Day 1 (SPOILERS)

hozz1235

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, DaveMcD said:

I'm similarly equipped, 74 rounds, 2 rifles, 2 flare guns, but only 6 shells, 2 bows plus various arrows and arrow heads, ample and birch cured as well as guts and deer skins. I found more than 8 top tier coats so now they are stashed all over the place as they were way too heavy to try to lug back.

Nice haul!  Have you decided where you are going to base? 

I just finished the Day 1 challenge on a new save... loot settings are pretty close to interloper... meaning almost nothing. :/
The day 2 wolf pack challenge will be pretty bad I think... worst thing on day 1 was the cold.

Oh, and the game gave me a magnifying glass. Thanks a lot.  :/

In the off chance anyone is still wondering, I can confirm that the path from Coastal Highway straight to Mystery Lake via the Ravine is also open.  

Personally I am also doing a couple saves, just in case I do something dumb before I get my Badges (which is highly likely).  It sure seems like today is definitely the day to stockpile, although who knows what Hinterland is going to toss at us...

I've looked all over CH and briefly around PV, but still no rifle or J-O-L sightings. Maybe I am just unlucky! Could anyone give any hint as to where I can find a rifle in PV now? I have ammo, but nothing to fire them with.. Starting to get a little scared now ^^

To be honest, 4DON would be a lot more fun to me if it were just slightly less dark. I can't find the door to enter a shelter without striking a match. (see 2nd screenshot).  I know my way around the region by heart, but I don't feel like exploring at all. Most of the time, it's just pitch black, with a few snow drifts strewn in for good measure.

Presumably it would be wise to haste to Mystery Lake, but I just can't make myself cross the railroad tracks in pitch black darkness. 

I don't mean to sound negative, I think it's an interesting idea nevertheless. And I'm nervous/scared to find out how dangerous the next days are going to be ...  :)

I suppose 4DON will feel very differently for players who didn't bother to adjust their screen settings (made the wolf disappear) when first playing TLD. 

2018-10-28 (2).png

2018-10-28 (4).png

My game plan is to fully loot CH and ML.  If time permits I will make a quick pass through PV specifically to find ammo, arrowheads, and if I stumble upon any mukluks or something grab those too.  Otherwise I am going to haul everything to the camp office in ML to make my stand for the duration of the event.  I figure if I could survive 400+ days on just Mystery Lake supplies alone, CH + ML ought to make this a slam dunk.  It appears the paths to both forges are blocked, but I should be able to craft a few arrows with recycled arrowheads,  I've got maybe 25 rifle cartridges so far, and 3 flare shells for the flare gun.  My clothes are in top form, and I rarely have even 1 bar of cold when it's extra windy out now.

Surviving 2 hours each day ought to be a piece of cake, it's just a matter of putting in maximum effort on day one to get prepared, then not take stupid risks for days 2-4.

I'm loving this so far. However it does hurt my eyes to try to see in such low visibility (monitor set to full brightness). That's realistic, though, the eye strain. 

So far I've made my way across the southern edge of Coastal Highway. I'm not sure where exactly I started... Possibly Jackrabbit Island and in my "let's not freeze to death this time" mindset high-tailed it to what ended up being Misanthrope's Homestead which I didn't find my first try. Now I've ransacked the fishing camp and will be headed to the Ravine passage... though (don't tell me) I don't know if it's passable. If not, there's still the northern areas of CH to explore. I know I should thoroughly raid the area but I can't play much more today.

No crowbar or hatchet yet, but I stumbled upon a hacksaw and this fantastic cache with half-full rifle and other necessary items.

My gear is pretty good. Lots of wool, windbreaker, trail boots and toques. 

I have way too much weight on me to go to the Ravine right now (I don't travel unless it's high visibility anyway but still). Guessing I'll just have to repair all my clothing/items, drop some water, and go. (I had to leave behind some things in Quonset).

Screenshot from 2018-10-28 14-57-29.png

Meanwhile everyone else is either broke or fully equipped, I am something in between. 

I found the two jack-o-lanterns from CH (one of them was from a location I had never seen before in CH.) I have a rifle with about 12 bullets, crowbar and a hatchet but that's about it for my wolf defenses.

I'm still at the garage and tommorow I'm going to leave to ML (I should have moved today when there aren't any wolves on my way, but I got sick and had to stop playing)

The entire second day I'm going to spend at ML and for day trhee I'm probably going to PV since I think it has some open areas where I can spot the aurora wolves before they spot me.

After 15 minutes of real-time game, I was getting "Hypothermia risk" and "Frostbite risk" already. Started with a light shirt and worn jeans, and the Real Feel outside was -26ºC, so… not surprising, haha. 

Is it my impression, or flares last longer in this game mode? Anyway, if I'm still alive it's basically thanks to a flare, so thank you, Hinterland Powers That Be!

–Rick

7 minutes ago, Morrick said:

Is it my impression, or flares last longer in this game mode? Anyway, if I'm still alive it's basically thanks to a flare, so thank you, Hinterland Powers That Be!

I think flares last twice as long, and fuel lasts twice as long.  Would love for someone to double check this for me, but I don't remember one firelog ever lasting 4 hours for me before...

43 minutes ago, melcantspell said:

To be honest, 4DON would be a lot more fun to me if it were just slightly less dark. I can't find the door to enter a shelter without striking a match. (see 2nd screenshot).  I know my way around the region by heart, but I don't feel like exploring at all. Most of the time, it's just pitch black, with a few snow drifts strewn in for good measure.

I have found that the weather makes a HUGE difference for visibility.  when it's completely clear out, I can see just fine without a lantern or flare, but in foggy or overcast weather I can barely see no matter what I do. 

My strategy so far has been to hightail it to either the Misanthrope House or Jackrabbit Island House.  Once there, I do light a match and run around hoping to find a storm lantern or flares.  I have done two play throughs so far, and both times been lucky enough to find a lantern in the first house I look.  I had the plan that if I didn't find a lantern or flares in the first house I would make my way to the garage and light a match to find some light. 

Good luck, and stay safe out there!

I didn't want to test my luck going through the ravine. It gets my rl fear of heights going when it is daylight in game. I don't want to even risk it in the dark. Plus I was pretty loaded up on gear, so I went through the mine to PV....

So far haven't found a pumpkin in PV. Got both from CH. Any advice on what areas to check?

31 minutes ago, Ape88 said:

I didn't want to test my luck going through the ravine. It gets my rl fear of heights going when it is daylight in game. I don't want to even risk it in the dark. Plus I was pretty loaded up on gear, so I went through the mine to PV....

So far haven't found a pumpkin in PV. Got both from CH. Any advice on what areas to check?

Signal Hill and Mystic River Picnic Area. :coffee:

Archived