Actually OCT 28th - NOV 1st

selfless

For those of us in the EDT time zone, it's actually starting at 2 AM Oct 28th  and ending 2 AM Nov 1st.  Kind of a rough time for us but you gotta start it sometime and you can't please everyone on the planet because if you make it convenient for us then it becomes inconvenient for others.

Perhaps for future events, it would be possible to have it trigger based on the local time that way everyone gets a convenient start and end time, however, I'm not sure how that would affect keeping track of badges and stuff like that.  

Son of a crap so I got up at 7:30 on a Saturday morning for nothing.  I was so caught up in remembering to play it on the 27th that I never bothered to pay attention to the time of day it was launching.

Well...guess I'll just go...take out the trash or wash the dishes or something seeing as how I'm already up.

Why on Saturday evening? For my timezone it will be 9am an Sunday -.- Means that i can only play a few hours on one of these four days ;(

First you wasn't able to choose whether you want to participate or not. A Year later, it was via test branch. That was good, but there was no benefit for you or your account when played. This time, it looks perfect: You can chose to play or not and get a badge for that. But it starts too late -.-

1 hour ago, Karl Grylls said:

Why on Saturday evening? For my timezone it will be 9am an Sunday -.- Means that i can only play a few hours on one of these four days ;(

First you wasn't able to choose whether you want to participate or not. A Year later, it was via test branch. That was good, but there was no benefit for you or your account when played. This time, it looks perfect: You can chose to play or not and get a badge for that. But it starts too late -.-

The day lasts for 24 hours. We all start at the exact same moment in time. Your clock will read differently than mine because of these little things known as "Time Zones". We all get the full 4 days. No one loses any time, you can play at any point during the 24 hours of each of the 4 days.

We all get the same 96 hours of the event, all starting and ending at the same exact moment in time as everyone else. How is this so hard to understand?

56 minutes ago, Karl Grylls said:

I would nearly swear you're french. We guys always complain before thinking. Start at time X each day, for 24h. Sounds logical, but still...

45 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

The day lasts for 24 hours. We all start at the exact same moment in time. Your clock will read differently than mine because of these little things known as "Time Zones". We all get the full 4 days. No one loses any time, you can play at any point during the 24 hours of each of the 4 days.

We all get the same 96 hours of the event, all starting and ending at the same exact moment in time as everyone else. How is this so hard to understand?

I'm sorry when my post looked angry. There is no need of getting huffish. I understand very well. The clock is the same to all of us, yes. But I personally have very less time to play, and when i do, it's only on some weekends in the year. I understand why Hinterland make this event happen for all people at the same time, there is nothing wrong with it. I wondered why it would start at a saturday (sunday), because for me friday (saturday) seems to be the better choice for all players enjoying the whole weekend. But maybe i'm wrong and most of the Long Dark players live in a time zone where the monday is off or something else.

16 minutes ago, BareSkin said:

I would nearly swear you're french. We guys always complain before thinking. Start at time X each day, for 24h. Sounds logical, but still...

Well, i am not french, but from a neighbouring country. Actually i don't want to complain all the time and about everything. But i'm afraid that i seem to be exactly like that all the time :[  When writing/saying things like that, for me it is like a note. But i experienced people are reacting different on my words and i haven't found a way to improve my articulateness in these cases yet.

Just now, Karl Grylls said:

because for me friday (saturday) seemed the better choice for all players enjoying the whole weekend. But maybe i'm wrong and most of the Long Dark players live in a time zone where the monday is off or something else.

You're totally right, Timezone of Vancouver is nearly the worst to have, cause there's nearly nothing after that (firsts being Tahiti, Hawaï, then Japan/Australia). But that's just how it is, it's the same with any worldwide event like the Olympics, the Football World Cup, etc...

Anyway, it's a 4-day event, so it can't feat into a weekend, whatever the time you make it start. Maybe it's also better for the studio to have the last 3 days of the event on working days? They also need some spare time on weekends for their private life (just like you), they have a family, you know :D

Let's hope you'll enjoy the event anyway, please come back on the forums to share with us !

Well Hinterland is a champion of the people, and always strives to do better.  I think the main takeaways from this so far are A: that integrating 4DON into the main branch as opposed to requiring an opt-in to a side branch is the way to go.  B: including badges for participation is universally well-received.  And C: the timing of the event is not well received, and could use some work.  What that work is, I don't have a solid answer for.

Basing the 4DON activation on a user's local time could leave it open to exploits.  One could simply change their system clock and boom, instantly get an advantage.  So I do understand why this would be based on a objective time, rather than a subjective one.  However, that does negatively impact a lot of players, who by random chance and circumstance, are negatively impacted by that timing.  Even though everyone has the same 96 hour window to participate, many will have fewer available hours based simply on where they happen to reside.  That part needs some attention.

That said...I am going to play the s#!t out of this starting tomorrow morning.

21 minutes ago, BareSkin said:

Anyway, it's a 4-day event, so it can't feat into a weekend, whatever the time you make it start. Maybe it's also better for the studio to have the last 3 days of the event on working days?

That could be an explanation.

Let's hope you'll enjoy the event anyway, please come back on the forums to share with us !

Thank you. I didn't like the first one, because i wanted to explore TWM for the first time and was reeeeaaally exited and happy to do so. And after one day it was 3 or 4 days of pure darkness! (but it didn't bother me back then) The second event was fun, but it didn't reward you for doing so. This time, you will get badges, which is a very good reason for me to play it and i want to match with the darkness and its horrors! I hope i have enough time left on sunday to earn one of these badges. But nobody can have everything and we are spoiled by our way of living anyway. Maybe my personal time will be better next year

• Hinterland

You only need to play 2 real hours per Event day to count as progress towards a 4DON badge. If you do that for 2 Event days, you get the Twilight badge. If you do that for 4 Event days, you get the Midnight badge. Even if the event starts at a weird time for someone, it should still be possible to fit in 2 hours of play time per event day?

This whole thing is an experiment for us so that we can learn about the idea of running events in a single-player game. As always, we'll be playing close attention to how it all plays out and will use that learning to improve future events. 

1 hour ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

You only need to play 2 real hours per Event day to count as progress towards a 4DON badge.

I'd assumed you needed to survive 2 hours with the same character without dying to count towards the badge.

Do you only need to play for 2 hours? Sounds much more manageable!

Sorry, yeah, I've just read all the admin comments in the other threads!

So if you die at all, you're out of the badge race. Sounds good for the challenge, but it will mean, presumably, that as soon as you complete the 2 hour allotment each day, you're better off quitting for the rest of the day in case you slip up? If so, that might feel like a bit of a bummer of a decision to make if you're in the mood to continue?

Archived