Interloper

Triple_D_50

Which trophy? Survived 1 night? That's already a great achievement, congrats!

Early interloper is all about moving, moving, moving while it's warm.  Moving a lot will make you find good clothes and enough food to continue moving. I chose not to use the user-made maps, but that should be a great help to you if you're alright with that.

Interloper often spawn in the Hushed River Valley map (reload or use map) or TimberWolf Mountain, where's there only one shelter. Both these starts you should move out of these maps as soon as you can, any warm evening will do, even if it's risky.

Many things that need to come together for consistent interloper success:

1. Map knowlege - Always have a reachable destination in mind, even if you're just exploring it's important to have fallback options like warm caves and whatnot. This also includes at least superficial knowledge of hostile wildlife patrol routes and predator hotspots. Map knowledge you can acquire via the whiteberry maps or easier difficulty gameplay. For the preadator patrol areas you'll need to explore, watch and consequently die a few times. 

2. Get to grips with the game mechanics - Cold is your biggest enemy, taking your condition down by 20% per hour freezing(Double that, if you have Hypothermia). Thirst comes second at 2% per hour and Hunger and Fatigue only charge 1% of your livelihood per hour. Carrying torches give you a small warmth bonus, drinking hot beverages or consuming hot food will also do it. Abuse this mechanic in order to stay warm for longer journeys. I'm sure you're aware you can starve yourself during the day and only eat 750 calories for 10 hours of healing sleep to get 32% condition. Use this exploit to save food in the early game. 

Also, the weather is usually milder at dusk. If your condition is dire, prioritize travelling when the day is relatively warm. 

3. Manage the wolf encounters - Wolves have three specific distance thresholds: Stalking distance, pursuit distance and charging distance. Suffice to say, carrying smelly items will bring the stalking and pursuit distances way down, charging distance remains the same regardless of scent. If a wolf closes on you, he'll charge. Keep your distance and try to break his line of sight,  use the terrain in your favour to dodge them. If any of these fail, drop bait and get an easy pass. Having a bow will make you the King of the north, forge away and get your hands on saplings early.

4. Move! - Do not stay put. You should loot and move between maps, until you have sufficient food, a hammer, a hacksaw and some guts and saplings cure, Then it's forging time. I usually wait until my guts and saplings are cured and then I move to forge and craft a bow in one single pass. 

5. Enjoy yourself - You can play Interloper very technically and min max everything. But as i've put nearly 500 hours in interloper, it's much easier to take a more laid back approach and enjoy the sightseeing. After you have tools and a bow, you can pretty much take it slow. I'm currently on my annual bear hunt expedition in Pleasant Valley and enjoying it a lot.

Archived