Looking forward to it!

hozz1235

1 hour ago, Khan_Drichthyes said:

Since I started playing almost a year ago, I missed this event.  What can you tell me about it?

It was pretty cool.  Basically it was dark out the entire time ... which was kinda fun.  There were also 'treats' you could find throughout the world.  One was a pie that kept you warm (until the event was over) and that counted as a whole meal if you ate it.  There were (if memory serves) pumpkin type containers that came with granola bars and such spread throughout the world.  

4 minutes ago, Doc Gonzo said:

It was pretty cool.  Basically it was dark out the entire time ... which was kinda fun.  There were also 'treats' you could find throughout the world.  One was a pie that kept you warm (until the event was over) and that counted as a whole meal if you ate it.  There were (if memory serves) pumpkin type containers that came granola bars and such spread throughout the world.  

Am new, thanks for the explanation!

22 minutes ago, Doc Gonzo said:

It was pretty cool.  Basically it was dark out the entire time ... which was kinda fun.  There were also 'treats' you could find throughout the world.  One was a pie that kept you warm (until the event was over) and that counted as a whole meal if you ate it.  There were (if memory serves) pumpkin type containers that came granola bars and such spread throughout the world.  

Does this occur on a saved game or is it a separate game, like the challenges?

@Khan_Drichthyes

It was in the saved-sandbox/survival games. One of the cooler aspects (to me at least) was that the pies remained in the world after the event was over, though their heating effect was no longer active.  IIRC if you took one of the pies to a building and left it there it remained after the event was over. I can't speak to pies that were left where they were discovered but I suspect they remained too. 

Someone with better memory than I will have to answer this; didn't the wolves have some weird effect too?  Eyes glowing or something?

The first year was a blast but because it happened out in general Sandbox a lot of people were unhappy.  Not me, I enjoyed it - it was a hoot!  Pumpkin Pie (a survivor from that night) was one of my favorites.  A bit reckless though. :) Last year, they made it a special thing you opted into - like the test branch.  It was still fun, but not having it as part of the regular game took something out of it for me.  Though it did allow people to carry on normally, so that was a plus?  It was 4 "nights" of murderous wolves, mysterious jack o'laterns (that radiate life saving heat), warming pumpkin pie that can ward off the murderous wolves (maybe), 2000 calorie candy bars and extra books to read by the fire.  

I remember hating the last 4 days of darkness (It was in 2016, right?) But it was mainly because I had just bought the game and I was a total noob and obviusly got absolutely rekt.

I think my first sandbox ever was created during that event and I died after wandering in the dark and  wondering that why isn't the day coming...

Maybe now I can enjoy it a lot more now as a better player:)

1 hour ago, ajb1978 said:

Awesome!  Definitely looking forward to this, as I missed out last year.  (Lost track of time.  One minute 4DON is coming out next week!  The next minute, 4DON ended yesterday!  Wait..what?  NOooooo...)

@ajb1978

It was a blast and this year looks to be no less enjoyable ...  

• Hinterland
On 2018-10-22 at 4:42 PM, morgellons said:

Now that the game is in full release, should we have more confidence our current saves won't be corrupted if we play 4DON than we did pre-release?

The first year we did 4DON (2016?) we ran it in the existing Sandbox so it conflicted with people's ongoing saves, unless they created a new game during 4DON. That said, they got to keep all the loot afterwards too.

The second year we did 4DON (2017), we ran it in a separate branch, to saves were not compatible, i.e. there was no chance for save corruption.

This year 4DON is a completely separate game mode, and saves are not compatible between 4DON and normal Survival, or Story, etc. So zero chance for corruption again.

I.e. corruption hasn't been an issue in over 2 years, if it was ever an issue. We are very careful not to break people's saves.

2 hours ago, JAFO said:

As I recall, they also served as wolf-repellent...

Did you have to actually eat the pie to repel wolves? I seem to remember having one in my pack but it doing nothing. Can't remember if I even got around to eating one at all. I think I was trying to save them up for the warming effect and real life stuff happened and I didn't come back to the game till after the event finished.

I'm hoping if everything goes swimmingly this year maybe next year they'll let us carry our chocolate buzzed survivors over somehow to the next event (wait.... was that evil cackling? And did I just hear someone mutter "fat chance you'll survive the night buttercup! Mwuuuhhha ha ha!")  :D

1 hour ago, DaveMcD said:

Did you have to actually eat the pie to repel wolves? I seem to remember having one in my pack but it doing nothing.

So far as I recall, yes, you had to eat (at least some of) it.. I didn't do much with them either.. my TLD skills back then were kinda minimal at best, so I largely avoided playing during the first event.

Archived