Multiplayer?

JACKROX_12234

So, I absolutely love this game and I am going to continue playing it for quite a while, but there is something that I think could make this game even better. A multiplayer survival mode!! Imagine being able to play 1-4 people on survival mode!! That would be so much fun! What do you guys think? 

Everytime I though about I ended up thinking:

1/ difficult to implement, since the time management is very personal. How would players synchronize?

2/ Usually multiplayer games ends up in *****bags behavior, that's the nature of the internet anonymity.

3/ There are so many multiplayer games around here (like , nearly every game), and the solitude is at the core DNA of this game so, to me, it wouldn't make sense.

Edited by BareSkin
  • Upvote 3

Everyone should read up on HITMAN 2 and how they are doing "multiplayer".  Basically single player but you are competing vs. 1 other player in real time and can see the others progress.  Its an unique spin on a single player game.

Although the OP might want CO-OP, its hard to tell.

On 26.10.2018 at 12:27 PM, jerry486 said:

max 4 people coop - doable. Time can be standardised, wood chopped real time, sleeping times synced. If would still feel pretty isolated and lonely to me.

4 person co-op, would be nice, but a real full grown multiplayer mode? Nah, I had my fair share of toxic, mouthfoaming, doorknob lickers in other Multipayer games, I surely don't need them in TLD.

Guest jeffpeng

The balancing work a 2-4 player coop would take is tremendous, even more for a 2-4 player FFA game. I guess everyone can agree that MMO is just not doable, so I won't even talk about that. But I think multiplayer is a bad idea in general, and here's why.

First off you'd have to adjust loot tables accordingly. More players need more food, more clothing, more tools, more everything. While this might not be as apparent on Voyageur, even on Stalker resources would become something to fight over pretty darn fast. In a competitive FFA mode this would maybe be even desirable, but not in a coop came. So yes, this might be possible, but would have to be done for any amount of players, meaning a huge amount of work.

Then you'd have to actually solve the time lapse problem . Chopping wood for 1 hour would result in 5 minutes of chopping wood in the real world. Might sound fun at first, but it really isn't if 40 minutes of your 60 minutes of gameplay is waiting for stuff to finish. Then synchronized sleeping sounds like a good solution at first, but then again: What do you do with 2 players in the same game having split ways (for whatever reason) and expending fatigue at heavily different paces? And it would require constant coordination between the both of them. I remember playing on a minecraft server with the "Somnia" mod installed. This mod makes you require sleep, but it also time lapses the world while you do. So every time someone wanted / had to sleep ... everyone had to go to sleep, or you'd lie in you bed for minutes and minutes doing nothing. That was the reason we eventually dropped Somnia for that server.

And, at least from my standpoint, maybe the hardest to solve problem: Hostile wildlife balancing. A bear is a menacing foe. You can't just shoot him and be sure you won't get heavily beaten up for it. This story changes drastically when there are 2 or more people training their rifles at him, having a reliable yet cheap way to hunt bears head-on. Same can be applied to wolves and moose. Having 2 or more people in the game potentially pooling firepower requires hostile wildlife to be more durable and/or more menacing, but that again would FORCE 2 or more players to work together at all time, or the wildlife would become insurmountable.

At least for me .... I sort of enjoy being alone in The Long Dark. Not having to rely on others, and not having to be considerate of other peoples needs. It's part of the core experience of TLD, and it's something we workerbee humans hardly ever experience in real life anymore. Maybe that's why time and again people wish for a multiplayer mode - because we are so used to being cooperative or competitive beings, and solidarity is a virtue that has gone out of favour for quite a while. Again, just my point of view, but I like, for once, not being dependent on or responsible for anyone. It's me, the cold, the wild, the dark and nothing else. And I believe that this exact thing is much more at the core of the magic that makes TLD work than most people realise. 

• 5 months later...

I dont really wanna sound bad, but if you are going to bring a thread that has been inactive for 6 months, the least you could do is bring something more to the table then a single sentence worth of opinion. Just throwing it out there.

What you wrote does not really give the rest of us much to work with. I get that these forums are here so that players like us can share their ideas for the game, but they are also here so that we, as a game´s community, can discuss those opinions, and maybe help advance the conversation further.

With that in mind, would you mind to be a bit more specific as to what your opinion for a possibility of multi player within TLD would be? Some details would be nice, on how you would like the multiplayer to work, or why would you only want private servers, and not public ones. Or how many players would such a server allow, and how would you suggest it could be made work, considering the current game mechanics of TLD?

I think a big question that I haven't seen mentioned  is what happens when a player dies? Do the rest of the people continue on or does the game end there for everyone? If it continues on and the wild life and other aspects of the game have been raised to accommodate the added players what happens then? The game would become much more difficult for the rest of the players, who knows maybe that would be an appeal to some.

The other thing I think of when multiple is brought up is you don't have to balance needs as much. If you had 4 people in the same region. One person can go out hunting, another collecting firewood, maintaining fires, and cooking and water boiling, another crafting all day, and the 4th doing all the other odd stuff that needs done or even fishing all day. I think it would take away from those kind of survival decisions people have to make because there would always be people to back you up.

Edited by XaldinVii

Guest kristaok

I think multi player would be fun sure, but I'm fine without it. I've always preferred to play alone. Even when I used to play Stardew Valley MP it was with my hubby. 

Besides Hinterland said it will never happen for TLD. 

Edited by kristaok

Guest kristaok
1 minute ago, hozz1235 said:

The big question is, why does the topic keep coming up? 😝  Hinterland has made it pretty clear they have no intention of introducing MP.

This. So it doesn't matter who wants it, it's never going to happen. :P 

We're going to share a response we've given elsewhere and then close up this thread as it's an old one that shouldn't have come back to life. If you want to talk about the subject then start a new thread in a week or so - but the response below will still be our view on the matter.

The Long Dark was designed from the beginning to be a single-player experience and we don't have any plans to add multiplayer. It doesn't quite fit with type of experience we are trying to build and yes, the technical challenges of trying to add multiplayer to the existing game would be pretty significant.

However we do understand many people are interested in a multiplayer experience, and don't fault anyone for finding the idea compelling (it IS fun to imagine). We've seen quite a few requests for it, and it might be something we consider for a future game -- but not this one.

• Upvote 1

• Admin locked this topic