Diary of a Dead Man

Day 1

My soul found gravities grip, slamming back into the empty human shell of my body. My face stung, my eyes seem glued shut, lungs barely wheezing, bones brittle, numb…..beyond cold. The wind howling its laughter, seemingly hell-bent on keeping me covered in powder, shivering face down in the mountain side, some distance from the sea plane wreck. A howl erupts down from the saddle below, “Oh God NO!” my mind screams, begging the neurons in my brain to send signals to the body to get up and move…NOW!

A deep grown of pain and a shudder of intense electricity shoots through all my extremities, on one knee now, pushing with frozen bare hands, unsteady, staggering, legs punching deep holes in the snow. Struggling and occasionally failing on all fours, I managed to reach the top of the ledge….”OH SHITTTTTT!!!!”, barely croaked from my throat as I slip and roll down the other side of the ridge, legs and arms flailing while the body summer saults down the mountain side, suddenly a flash of light, intense pain….blackness, cold, hopeless?

Eyes open once more and gaze into the face of frozen mirror of horror, another survivor? His arm stretched out, frozen in midair, as if reaching out to someone or something. Quickly I seize upon his corpse, tearing off his pack and jacket. Fingers cannot articulate the zippers, my teeth and tongue will have to do, “Thank God”, I exclaim as the frozen slushy soda flows down my raw throat along with the solid brick granola bar which feels like eating shale rock.

Feeling some life come into my veins, I strip the boots and wool socks from the deceased, “You won’t need these anymore my friend, God speed….a little late”. Matches, a hunting knife and a half eaten candy bar, if I could cry for joy I would, but cannot afford to right now, have to get moving, must find shelter soon. Again, the howl of wolves become my evil task master, fear of being eaten alive my motivation….my adrenaline.

Very little breathe smoke leaves my lungs as my core temperature begins to become dangerously low, head ache, nausea, blurred vision…. a shadow in the distance does not look normal. Mother Nature does not make straight lines, creaking of wood boards in the distance, is it a house? An old cabin? My heart leaps with excitement…. anticipation…. I can hear the muffled steps speedily approaching from behind, “RUN DAMN YOU, RUNNNN!!!”, once again the mind beckons thunderously.

Growls signal a successful stalk, deep heaving of lungs announce dominance, I look back just as the wolf leaps towards me, slamming my body through the door of the building. I kick and scream, no sound leaves my cracked and peeling lips, the wolf’s fur begins to warm my fingers as I grasp and grip his mane, desperate to keep his canine teeth at bay. Teeth gnashing, hot saliva covers my face, claws tear at my chest… suddenly, from deep within, my animal instinct kicks in, RAGE AND FEAR mixed into a murderous solution of premeditated intent, my lips part and draw back, grimaced teeth glaring back at the carnivore, as if I had become the animal, the predator….. I am UNLEASHED! The wolf’s eyes sees its end to late, fear registers in its eyes radiating understanding of impending doom and demise as my hands find purchase, the audible crack of neck bone echoes inside the door way like a shotgun blast, a final whimper is barely audible as I roar like a lion…..

Archived