Bear Hunting redux

Kilkegard

After a horrible and deadly encounter with a bear while mapping Milton in my previous run, I started another Survival mode run in Broken Railroad.  While taking another selfie by a cliff behind a Hunters lodge I noticed a furry little friend wandering below. I took two pot shots; the second one hit.  The bear proceeded to start running around like they do when shot, but I was too far and atop a huge cliff so I a second shot was out of the question.  Even more importantly, I was atop a cliff so I was safe!  Over the next few hours I kept checking in on the bear.  He kept up his running antics for quite a while.  

Anyway, after a while the bear was gone.  I checked my stats and sure enough I have one bear kill to my name now (at day 5 no less, W00T!).  Running low on food and supplies at the Hunters lodge I decided to set off to a group of building I viewed from the cliff at the hunters lodge.  I used a mountaineers rope to scale down the side of the cliff and made a search for the bears carcass but no luck.  There are too many wolves in the area and it was cold so I didn't search for long.

Making my way to the mysterious buildings I stumbled across another wolf.  He didn't see me and I managed to take him out in a single shot at distance.  I was way too cold to stay and harvest anything so off to the buildings.  It was only one building and it was surrounded by a fence.  I entered the compound thru a hole in the fence and proceeded to look for a door.  Oops, another wolf.  And he was mad.  I lit a flare and proceeded to walk backwards around the building while staring down the wolf.  At some point he charged and I turned and ran.  It was a race.  Fortunately i saw a door ahead and was able to scramble inside before the wolf got to me.  I had no weapons for a fight with the wolf and little protection from clothing so I was happy to get past that wolf.

Good news is I found a knife, some warmer clothes, and a book about archery.  Bad news is that there is little food here.  With the wolves outside and only three rounds for the gun it feels a bit dicey.  I'll need to strike out tomorrow for something better.  

Archived