Wolf struggles on xbox

Murpharoo

I'm new to the game and on a Voyager run. I'm terrified of wolves - they get my heart racing every time I see or especially hear one !
When I'm attacked by a wolf I get a screen asking me to choose which weapon to defend myself with eg knife / hatchet / hammer. I'm on the Xbox and it either does not say how to choose between eg the knife or the hatchet or it's so quick I can't read it. How do you swap to defend with anything other than the knife on the Xbox ?

It's probably obvious but I panic and can't read the screen fast enough - or it's just not clear ?

First off don't panic. It actually slows time for a.few seconds for you to select which weapon.

Then you use left stick to select /scroll through selections and press A to select.

Also a steady consistent clicking/attack pattern should be used. NOT clicking as fast as possible. 

I was used to just clicking like crazy as soon as wolf jumped me, as older versions had no weapon select.

Took me a little while before I learned to stop panicking and that it slows time.to select weapon.

Also just so you know 

Knife= makes wolf blledout but struggle lasts longer

Hatchet=best chance to kill wolf outright on the spot

Heavy hammer =shortest struggle (scares wolf away faster) least damage done to wolf.

From my experience the prybar should do the same as hammer but doesnt seem to be as good. (Atleast on stalker and interloper)

Hope this helps

Actually the hatchet is hands down the most effective weapon to use against wolves.  @Timber Wolf has tested this quite extensively.  In order of effectiveness at ending a wolf struggle, it's hatchet, hammer, knife, prybar, fists.  And rather surprisingly, your level of fatigue has little to no effect on the duration of the struggle.

• 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:51 PM, ajb1978 said:

And rather surprisingly, your level of fatigue has little to no effect on the duration of the struggle.

This would be an excellent change to the game if they implemented it!  I would like to see it as it makes sense thematically, and would add to the fear/drama when your eye is drained AND then you hear a Wolf howl knowing a longer struggle is about to happen...  and for players that are well rested they can be more confident that it will be a short struggle.

Archived