Shooting with a rifle

Gaudia Certaminis

Just like the bow, you should hunt when well rested : the aim swings more when you are tired. Second point is : shoot soon after aiming. Aim regularly to get the "feel" and know where the sights pop up on the screen. You should be able to aim and shoot in less than 2 seconds. Where you shoot depends on your point of view : shoot in the body for sure kill, but you'll have to find the carcass several hours later. If you don't find it, you've lost a bullet. I prefer to get really close to my target and shoot in the head or the neck : critical hits happen very often, and you choose the place you're going to harvest the carcass. Note that for mooses, you can only use the second solution, as they won't bleed out.

I always thought that being cold results in more sway, but i'm not too sure.
And like  StrayCat  said, i also think being tired results in more sway but again i'm not sure.
Speaking of which, perhaps being hungry and thirsty might also result in more sway.

There's two ways to shoot;
Aim and immediatly fire.
Aim and train your sights, keep them on the target when it's moving, try to move with the target.

I find the latter being the best in the long term because this kind of practice might make you able to pull of some sweet shots from insane distances and/or on running targets, where as if you only aim and immediatly fire, you don't really learn anything but your base accuracy might be higher.
If you don't get better at shooting, just aim and fire :)

~CGTv

Edit: Search for 'Wolf Hunt' on my Youtube account for some videos.

When you aim your rifle, you will always be dead centered and accurate, but the sway will start almost immediately.  So my go-to method for hunting is to aim the rifle, hold it, and line up a shot.  Then stop aiming, and hold the aim button a second time, and fire without hesitation the moment that rifle is shouldered.  Even though the rifle is swaying all over the place, you can at least line up your shot, so that when you lower the rifle and aim for the second time, you're perfectly on target.

As others have said (and I can certainly confirm), being rested plays a huge role in swaying.  It seems (if I'm fully rested), I have a few seconds before sway begins.  If I can line up my shot before serious sway kicks in, I'll take the shot, otherwise, lower the rifle and try again.  Take your time and get your best shot.

As far as hunting moose and bear, ideally, you'll do this from either a tree (where they can't reach you) or a ledge (where you can drop down after they start to come after you - which then "resets" them).

I was going to recommend waiting until you find some rifle skill books, because I thought higher skill levels reduced rifle sway. Apparently rifle skill levels don't do that, or if they do it isn't listed. The archery skill however, greatly reduces sway as your skill improves.

On 10/7/2018 at 5:23 AM, Murpharoo said:

This Reddit post is interesting on the topic of rifle sway ? does it really matter ?!

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/thelongdark/comments/8s8zmh/video_proof_that_rifle_sway_doesnt_matter/

That's interesting. Hey @Raphael van Lierop, I've read the thread and seen the video on Reddit. So here's the question... is rifle sway intended to affect the path of the bullet, or simply make it harder to aim accurately?

I mean, I can say that it gets easier to hit things as my rifle skill levels up, so it is effective even if its only purpose is to make it harder to aim.... but I'm curious about what your thinking is on the issue.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/11/2018 at 7:56 AM, JAFO said:

:oO.o

Well...  I'll...  be...  <expletive deleted>

I saw that video a few weeks ago on Reddit, and I too was amazed at how pointless and riduculous the added sway effect is. It's just another way to make the game artificially more difficult. You aim like you're drunk...yay!

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 2:54 AM, Gaudia Certaminis said:

Is there any way to 'settle' the sights? Any rifle tips?

All great advice above @Gaudia Certaminis, likely everyone shares your same struggles, for me a very good lesson was finding and/or causing a wolf feeding on a deer/rabbit, use the extra seconds to: aim/relax/aim-adjust/relax/aim-adjust/relax/aim-verify-sight-picture/relax/AIM-SHOOT...
Another option is to use the aim/relax/adjust/aim-shoot method to achieve a headshot as a bear slowly approaches from far, far away.
Good luck my friend. :coffee:

Archived