Can you load a game after dying?

Boreal

I hope to see an option to be able to load a save file after death in sandbox mode. Otherwise when you go through trying to get that 50 day achievement then die, you don't feel like your time was completely wasted. So far I cant get past 20 days simply because wolves kill me immediately even though I spam my button lol

But if they let you load after dying, the 50 day achievement isn't really an achievement anymore. You could go one for hundreds of days if you can reload after death.

If you want to make it past 20 days, start in Mystery Lake (less wolves). Get a hunting knife asap and try to avoid wolves as much as possible. It is doable, I promise you.

• 1 month later...

I did this last night right before I died (3% condition left) and when it loaded I was being attacked by a wolf. In fact, when it loaded the wolf was on top of me and the red text telling me I died by wolf attack had appeared as soon as I loaded my game.

The only way to "reload" a game is to make a copy of the data folder. If you die, then just paste the saved file back in. Of course, everything you did since you last made a copy will be gone, but at least you are not back to square one. I don't know if there any glitches caused by doing this (I read somewhere that this may take you off the Leaderboard), but it has worked for me so far. Personally, I prefer to start over if die. It's survival after all. I have several saved files so I can go back and forth between different styles of play depending on my mood. One I started in Mystery Lake, another in Coastal Highway. One I am using the rifle, another I am not. In one I made a homestead, in another I remain a nomad.

The path to the folder for Windows 8 is in your Operating System folder (for me it is C:\Users\\AppData\LocalLow\Hinterland) and I just copy and paste the entire "The Long Dark" folder.

Have fun!

The only way to "reload" a game is to make a copy of the data folder. If you die, then just paste the saved file back in. Of course, everything you did since you last made a copy will be gone, but at least you are not back to square one. I don't know if there any glitches caused by doing this (I read somewhere that this may take you off the Leaderboard

this is not the case as I can confirm, in the beginning I did copy the save data from time to time and once restored it because I though I died of a stupid cause (my wife coming into the room asking something while a wolf attacked me). Guess what, the run still entered the leaderboards and I even got the 50 day achievement.

I don't know how LB on steam works but if you would just send some sort of game id the problem would be solved. You die, LB is updated with "gameid 12345 died". The next time the same game id tries to enter the LB it will be refused. Save it in a binary format and only the most skilled crackers will be able to crack it - maybe - but certainly not everyone able to use windows explorer ;)

But get it from someone who has done it: don't do it, it leaves a very shallow taste in your moth and the run is certainly not something you want to brag about - after all you achieved nothing, this game is about not making mistakes because they kill you. Making a mistake means you've lost the game, period. If you can't live with this harsh reality, then this game is not for you.

Also, if you know you can always restore to a certain point, the game loses all it's tension. "Two wolves in the area, a third chasing a deer, should I go for it or no? Meh if the other wolves attack me I can still restore the game, so let's try it..." That's why saving is not an option, not being able to save is a crucial part of the game.

(but several profiles are very much needed :D)

• 2 months later...
I have several saved files so I can go back and forth between different styles of play depending on my mood. One I started in Mystery Lake, another in Coastal Highway. One I am using the rifle, another I am not. In one I made a homestead, in another I remain a nomad.

I like the idea of having multiple saves - simply cause I might want to try something different. But the monotony of survival is fairly immersible so I stick to the one game. I've spent the 7-8 game days trying to find a bear - anywhere in CH and it is driving me insane.

I'd like to be able to run/save/load a second game. Maybe one game with the male character, and one with the female character.

One would be the game I'm playing for fun, and one would be for checking out game features before I post about them. Like what the exact layout of the dam interior is, or how many reeds are growing around Unnamed Pond.

I think both ought to be permadeath, but a second profile would allow me to "drop everything" and go somewhere or do something related to Alpha feedback without sacrificing my personal best 8 day run.

I'd like to be able to run/save/load a second game. Maybe one game with the male character, and one with the female character.

One would be the game I'm playing for fun, and one would be for checking out game features before I post about them. Like what the exact layout of the dam interior is, or how many reeds are growing around Unnamed Pond.

I think both ought to be permadeath, but a second profile would allow me to "drop everything" and go somewhere or do something related to Alpha feedback without sacrificing my personal best 8 day run.

A multiple save option is definitely being considered and worked on. Here's a link to Raphael's answer to a similar question from the Reddit AMA:

http://www.reddit.com/r/thelongdark/com ... at/coroj6x

• 2 months later...

I don't see a problem with people copying the save games folder over with a backup when they die as long as the game is still in Alpha.

Presumably, once the game hits full version, the saves will be on Steam's cloud and you won't have access to those, so death will be permadeath like intended.

I'm currently on day 75 in Stalker mode with one save, day 3 with another and day 17 with yet another.

That's what I'd love to see. A way to start a new profile for a different style of play, so I don't have to "nuke" my longest day progress.

Notice, I haven't found the bunker in either of those saves. And Fluffy was missing in the dam in the 3 and 17day mode so it's not exactly exploring the unknown with another profile especially since drops and containers and weapon locations are randomized.

I don't see a problem with people copying the save games folder over with a backup when they die as long as the game is still in Alpha.

This is a possibility, but it can cause issues with your game, and it will disable your ability to participate in the leaderboards, if that matters to you.

Possibly. But I've learned ages ago that achievments and leaderboards don't hold much value to some people who just want to enjoy and play the game _their_ way. Even if it means God mode and infinite ammo cheats.

Personally, I'm currently testing survivability in certain cases.

I've gotten 8 fishing tackles and went into a fishing cabin in Unpleasant Valley, after 3 days in the cabin, I've got 5kg of cooked wolf meat and over 35kgs of cooked fish. Stove runs permanently 24hours a day fueled by Fir wood, and I've got 5 fishing tackles left.

The only downside is that it'll take me about 3 days of ferrying to get all the meat back to the Farmers Homestead :P

(...) after 3 days in the cabin (...)

What difficulty are you playing on snegec?

The only one that matters, Stalker :D

Currently on a new playthrough in that same fishing hut. Waiting for Wolf Fur to get cured down at the Farmers Homestead.

[spoil]Day 30:

Made it to day 30

Afternoon: Woke up after sleeping 1 hour

Afternoon: Wolf attack!

Evening: Went to sleep.

Night: Woke up after sleeping 4 hours

Night: Drank 0.38 L potable water.

Night: Ate Lake Whitefish (Cooked).

Night: Ate Lake Whitefish (Cooked).

Night: Went to sleep.

Night: Woke up after sleeping 1 hour[/spoil]

Archived