Let's try Deadman

fauxjargon

Note:  I am streaming this on Twitch under the same username.  I'm not archiving these videos permanently - they will be on Twitch for 14 days.
I am playing Deadman, but with the survivor monologue turned back on.  Unless I say otherwise I am doing cold fusion and fire mastery.

Deadlady 1 starts in coastal highway on the railroad tracks.  She decides to go get cattails on the way down to the fishing camp.  She goes around a blind corner and becomes wolf food.

Deadman 2 starts in Desolation Point around nightfall.  Hybernia processing yields little other than matches and dog food - a perfectly good start, though!  I travel through the mine, finding a hacksaw and a bunch of coal.  Coal will be crucial to this Deadman - fire is life and coal is fire.  A blizzard keeps Deadman 2 in the cave for a while, boiling up water - no mushrooms, no crafting supplies, nothing to do but boil water with one can.  Finally, the weather clears enough that Deadman can carry torches and light defensive fires all the way to the lighthouse which has - jackpot - a light shirt, a wool toque, two safe cans of dog food and the emergency stim I came for.  I rest - the next bed is in Coastal Highway.

Morning is uneventful - cross to the church, find nothing memorable, stone a bunny and hacksaw it in the mine.  Light a fire in preparation for torch chaining to the next mine - although on Interloper, I would have just gone to the next mine.  I've never seen a wolf in that back corner of the map leading to the Crumbling Highway mine.  It is warm enough that I didn't have to stop.  Anyway - eat bunny, lose torch on the way to wind, consume another match in the mine, find even more coal.  Golden.  I manage to get to the basement in Crumbling highway without getting wolfed or getting cold - didn't find anything down there.  Normally when I go in that basement, I light a fire outside it to keep it safe from wolves - same with the Skeeter's ridge one.  Oh well - I get wolfed - but fight him off with a prybar even though my speed clicking is not great.  43% condition, but no bleed or infection - I run for the exit and the same wolf gets me again - but I don't think I take any damage.  I lose my shirt, my work gloves and my scarf - but still have a nice wool toque.  The wind is picking up when I get to Coastal Highway - I had planned on lighting a fire by the car to heat up, but with a bit of temperature bar left, decide to hit the stim and go for it.  I make it to the door of the house just as the stim ends and my rest drops to 0.  I have 44% once I stabilize myself - but I find food and crackers in the house, so that's good.

The next day is Jackrabbit Island and the fishing camp.  I consider hunting bunnies, but I am not great at stoning them, and with the bunnies on maximum alert, they will be hard to kill with the short sightlines on the hill.  I loot whatever was in the house - nothing good and no crucial sewing kit.  After warming and resting, I get a beautiful sunny afternoon.  I stone a bunny and check one fishing hut and the camp.  Nothing notable.  I am running out of warmth,  but NO WAY am I spending 2 hours of beautiful weather warming up in a bed.  I have 35 kg in my pack, mostly coal and sticks.  Time for a fire.  I start a giant stick fire, cook the bunny, process and cook the two mushroom teas I've harvested.  I pull as many torches as I can while leaving a few kg of pack room for cattails and sticks, and head to the stream.  As is Deadman tradition, I wait as long as I think I can to drink my tea so that it refills my warmth meter.  I harvest a bounty of cattails - can't remember exactly how many, but a lot.  The weather stays nice into the night.  I warm myself on the train tracks just before the ravine, and once more in the cave, where I find a mountaineering rope.  I lose little dribs and drabs of health each time - I don't have enough sticks to make a fire that will heat up particularly fast, so I have to guess when I have 15 or so minutes of heat left - that way I can heat a tea on the fire and get 20% warmth - the heat comes from adding coal.  Despite the challenges of starting in Desolation Point, the massive quantity of coal it gives you is really important and is the only reason this character is still kicking, with nearly 7 days under his belt at the time of writing.

I continue on - I have to make the ravine - which I do - but my fatigue bar and cold bar both run out before I can make a fire and nap - just barely though.  I am writing this at the end of my 6th full day so my memory is a bit hazy as to the actual numbers.  I couldn't bring everything, but I manage to bring enough coal to spend a long time down here.  The deer yields lots of meat, and of course, there is a flare gun and stim in the train car.  I am at around 40% - enough that I want to hold onto the stim, but I also want to hold onto the coal - so I stay just long enough, sleeping to reduce calorie burn more than anything, for a blizzard to pass and my meat to cook, then I go for it.  I stim right at the bottom of the rope - there wasn't enough time to get myself to the point where I could get to the ledge safely.  The stim runs out just past the cave - I don't take too much of a hit collapsing into the trailer by Carter Hydro.  I sleep two hours - it is a beautiful evening - I gather mushrooms and cattails.  The bridge wolf isn't home and I get his cattails, such as they are.
I search the upper part of Carter Hydro - I don't want to go deeper - it is cold in the dam, and my match supply is precarious.  It feels like -1 in the relatively warm office and engineering spaces of the upper dam - the big open rooms with the generators and turbines will be worse.  I can't count on more until I go to Pleasant Valley or Milton.  Milton is my choice, because the rest of Mystery Lake is on the way.  I don't find much except some toilet water.  I have to sprint back to the trailer, but just make it without getting chilled.  I'm tired - I get a full sleep bar going.  I am shamelessly using the loot tables, and although I normally don't reference the community-made maps anymore when I play Interloper - I almost died on my Outerloper game as a result - but I am using maps for this too.  No second guesses, people!  I don't know where all the stims are though :(.  The crucial bedroll that will get us to Milton without coffee is in the hunting blind on the way to mystery lake.  I find it and a granola bar.  The clearing has no wolves and two bunnies.  I start a roaring fire [7 matches remain] by the deer.  Once I am warm and some venison is grilling, I gather sticks, bunnies and rose hips.  The bunnies are lunkers!  2.5 kg put together - more meat (not more calories) than the deer.  I almost fill my stomach completely, except for some small baits.  I stone another bunny on the way to the lake overlook rope.  If the weather holds, I'll be able to climb both ropes, loot the cave, possibly stone ANOTHER bunny and hit the camp office.  The weather doesn't hold.  No blizzard, but a cold, windy snow that blows in as I finish the first rope.  I light a fire in the hollow tree, get it hot enough [6 matches remaining] - stupidly, I don't butcher and eat the rabbit.  I sleep for 2 hours by my fire - the weather doesn't get worse - I cross the top of lake overlook - nothing but a granola bar and some cedar firewood for my troubles - but I make the camp office without any trouble.  I don't find much other than the mag lens.  Later I use it to light a fire, cook the rabbit and boil a water supply - not enough, but I am almost out of fatigue.

Rested, I set out to explore the fishing huts, lake cabins and shores of Mystery lake.  I get some cattails (although I never reach some due to wolves, but I clear the safe parts).  I light a fire in the 2nd hut past the camp office [5 matches remaining] to use as a base of operations while I loot the lake cabins and far shores of the lake.  I accidentally let it go out - but I don't take cold damage as a result, thankfully.  I find a crucial sewing kit in the other fishing hut.  I spend the night in a lake cabin, and realize I am going to run out of water - I have to expend another match [4 matches remaining] only to have a blizzard roll in after I get my first liter of water.  I'm able to get a few more liters using the sun in the morning.  I make a tea, which I wait as long as I can to drink, and go - it is bright, cold and extremely windy, but only -2 without windchill.  I make it to Trappers with a bit of heat left - which, at a feels like of -2 will last hours.  I am able to light a fire by the barn deer with my mag lens - fog rolls in before I even get my first steak!  Fearing wind, I move the fire inside, - the right move, it gets windy in the evening - I do get the deer's guts though - they can be made into snares later.  I find another sewing kit and some food in the hut, cook the deer, boil some water, wait for the wind to die down without letting the fire die.  If it stays warm, I'm going to sleep on the shelf cave on the way to Milton.  I bag an additional rabbit on the way to the cave.  Fatigue forces me to sleep for 2 hours in the cave next to a fire - I can't believe I traded 2 coal for a match, but I still have like 25 coal at this point - I replaced nearly all I used in  Mystery Lake with coal from the Milton cave.  I cook and eat the bunny.
I make it down the rope without losing my fire - I take a hit due to the cold [stupid, stupid stupid], but I get my fire started up inside the shelf.  There are a wolf and three bunnies around.  One of the bunnies is being eating by the wolf.
20180916165642_1.thumb.jpg.36802766095a303a23f9b6f14396c952.jpg
I am at 6 days and 20 hours.  I have 38% condition and a flare gun with four rounds.  I need to find the next stim in Milton - I don't think I will dare Hushed River Valley to get its stim - I want to make it to TWM or die trying.  Probably die - after all, I'm a deadman.

Exciting times, I hope you keep death away for many more days.

14 hours ago, fauxjargon said:

Oh well - I get wolfed - but fight him off with a prybar even though my speed clicking is not great.

Interesting.  The only time I survived a wolf so early in an Interloper game, I also used a prybar.   Although I clicked like crazy with both hands on the LMB. :D

14 hours ago, fauxjargon said:

I don't think I will dare Hushed River Valley to get its stim

Hang on, there's a stim in HRV?  I've never found it.  (Or maybe I forgot I found it because I rarely use stims in a normal game. :P)

Last night was interesting.  My memory is a little fuzzy because, normally I write these posts a day at a time while playing - but some people were actually watching my Twitch stream and I didn't want to stop every 15 minutes to write.

I reached the picnic area - slept the night but lost some cold damage in the morning trying to save a match lighting a solar fire.  DUMB DUMB DUMB.  30%.

Orca gas station was surprisingly easy to get to - there was a deer wandering past even, no wolves.  Inside I got food poisoning twice, but I had mushroom tea ready to go so it didn't really matter.  Lots of opportunity to mark time at 75 kcal/hour.  I lost a little condition due to misunderstanding the condition the first time, and probably less than a % the second time just from the amount of time it took me to drink the tea and go to bed, wake up halfway through and drink water before sleeping again.

I found some nice clothing, including some work boots in Milton.  I searched the town in a blizzard to prevent wolf attack.  I took a cattnap at Gray Mother's, then moved out, fatigued and overburdened - but running out of food.  I had to use a flare gun on a wolf near the church.  Sadly, I missed - I've probably got a 50% hit rate with snap shots at wolves like that, but I didn't get wolfed.  Visited the church, got cattails and made the trailer near HRV.  No condition loss since the picnic area and the Orca gas station.

Slept in the trailer, realized I was running low on water, so I made a fire in the HRV cave the next morning and boiled up a supply.  Went out a few times to hunt rabbits but probably wasted more calories doing it than I would have gotten.  Didn't get cold though.

[This happened, but my computer crashed.  Reverse unintentional savescumming]:

I decided the bunnies were a bust and wanted to push further.  I saw a deer and a wolf and managed to introduce them.  I flare gunned the wolf and got 4.5 kg of wolf meat and 8.5 kg of venison.  My computer crashed most of the way through harvesting and cooking them.  As the save file exists, I have survived 9 days.  27% health.  Low on food.
My next stims are in the plane crash from Wintermute, the Poacher's camp, the PV barn, and Timberwolf Mountain.

On 9/18/2018 at 1:09 AM, fauxjargon said:

My memory is a little fuzzy because, normally I write these posts a day at a time while playing - but some people were actually watching my Twitch stream and I didn't want to stop every 15 minutes to write.

Ahh.. the burden that is fame.. followed!

Deadman 2 did some stuff and got wolfed.  RIP.  I made a stupid mistake near the plane with a wolf.  I didn't get it on Twitch, which is just as well.

Deadmen 3, 4, 5 got really crappy starts or got wolfed.  Normally I never mulligan an Interloper run - you can pull yourself out of a desperate situation easily enough - but on Deadman it feels pointless - if you've lost 30% on day 1 and are going to lose more on Day 2 - why bother?

Deadman 6 has had some tremendous luck, however!  He lost a lot of condition when he spawned - on the opposite side of the log bridge from Spence's on a dark, windy night.  He also took some falling damage trying to do stupid tricks to avoid wolves, AND because it was dark and he was hiding from wolves he did not have any sticks when he got to the forge.  There wasn't enough fuel that wasn't coal to get the temperature up above -10 so he froze until he added coal.  He is at 60-something percent and in the trailer outside Carter Hydro now with a bedroll, hacksaw, two storm lanterns, 5 kg of venison outside and 36 cattails, a ski jacket and a mackinaw.  He had freakishly nice weather and managed to loot all of the cattails and cabins on Mystery Lake and most of the river, then he pushed a deer into a wolf and stole 8 kg of meat!  I had to take naps while cooking the deer outside - I started the day with a breakfast of deer meat outside Trapper's.  If it wasn't for the massive condition loss from the frosty, dark spawn he would be golden - and as it is, he's looking pretty good!

16 minutes ago, fauxjargon said:

I made a stupid mistake near the plane with a wolf.  I didn't get it on Twitch, which is just as well.

That's ok.. both RestlessCorpse and TheDEADP00L have recordings of their wolf encounters by the plane.. it's quite a difficult bottleneck to get past. RC has managed it once.. it takes a lot of stealth, even more patience, and a healthy dollop of luck.

Way to go, Deadman 6! Long may he live!

4 minutes ago, JAFO said:

That's ok.. both RestlessCorpse and TheDEADP00L have recordings of their wolf encounters by the plane.. it's quite a difficult bottleneck to get past. RC has managed it once.. it takes a lot of stealth, even more patience, and a healthy dollop of luck.

Way to go, Deadman 6! Long may he live!

The part that pisses me off the most is that Deadman 2 was well-equipped:  No stink bars, a sunny day with a light breeze and a flare gun with two shells to boot.  He got wolfed just up the last rose hip climb to the plane.  You need nice weather - I think you have to basically brute force your way past using campfires.  The bunnies in the lake between the cave and the plane are also possible sources of bait - Deadman 2 infiltrated to the plane easily because the wolf was eating a bunny at the lakeshore.

1 minute ago, fauxjargon said:

The part that pisses me off the most is that Deadman 2 was well-equipped:  ... a flare gun with two shells to boot.

You got to the plane with a gun and flares in hand?!? That's rare.. never seen that in any run that started there..

2 minutes ago, fauxjargon said:

I think you have to basically brute force your way past using campfires.

Except, unless you're incredibly lucky, you won't have any matches yet at that point.. something else I've yet to see. So you're kinda SOL on those campfires.

(And incidentally, RestlessCorpse did it without making any fires.. stealthed it right past the wolf, then ran hell-for-leather down to the bunny-lake and beyond.)

• 2 months later...

DEADMAN A starts by the plane crash in Milton at midday on a sunny day.  Things are looking OK - the weather is nice - but the wolf has his due.

DEADMAN B starts at 4am near the log bridge in Forlorn Muskeg.  He sets off towards the Spence farm, and dies from falling trying to avoid a wolf.

DEADMAN C starts on a bright, cold day at noon on the railroad leading to the ravine in Coastal Highway.  He barely makes it to the hut by bear creek before his temp bar runs out.  He got 2 cattails.  He finds 2 hours sleep and some decent fleece mittens in the hut, then sets out again.  He makes the fishing huts with 98% condition - the weather turns,  and he was greedy for cattails.  The huts yield 2 hours of sleep, a soda, beef jerky and a sewing kit.  I don't take any cloth.  There's time for that later.

20181123083556_1.thumb.jpg.f7bd46cbaf15128ebb35bb5cee9c80c8.jpg

Three deer are kindly showing me a safe path to Jackrabbit island.  I find peaches and tomato soup and take four cloth for clothing repairs.  I take the all-important toilet water and sleep an hour to warm back up.  It is late evening and time for travel.  Misanthropes yields a treasure trove:  2 trail boots, wool socks, a new plaid shirt, and of course toilet water.  I sleep an hour and move out in the late evening for the coastal town.20181123084937_1.thumb.jpg.a0de3cf0f8b14e66ac370c12b1543302.jpg

I get to the first house as the aurora starts.  Still can't see inside very well, but I get some toilet water and socks and leave happy.  A wolf barks and starts to charge on the way to Quonset - I barely make it in.  Quonset yields a hacksaw, a recycled can and a cookbook.  This means the hammer is in CH - dare I try and forge this early?  I am kicking myself for not checking the fishing hut where the hammer could potentially be.  I try a few times to leave the Quonset but the wolves don't approve.  Instead, I sleep until my bar is full.  I depart in a blizzard and search the last house - new wool socks, crackers, peaches, water.  I fix my jeans and my other wool socks, and, ever the optimist, craft some bandages to go with some antiseptic I found earlier.

I almost need the bandages - the only thing that saves me from the wolf is the ominous music - but I make it up the hill to a trailer, where I find a very nice wool scarf.

20181123212640_1.thumb.jpg.e982eb9ea45e719f83dd19a12513d8e9.jpg

I sleep 2 hours in the trailer to warm up and eat the last of my crackers.  I have 2 sodas left before I have to start breaking into cans without a can opener.  The weather is beautiful on the way to the forestry outlook - at times I am even warm.  The outlook is guarded by a deer.  I find matches (!) and a cotton scarf go to with my wool one.  A blizzard rolls in and I take a nap.

It occurs to me that blizzards are wolf-free zones - I leave without a full temperature bar after an hour sleep - I take 3% damage, leaving me with 95%, on the way to the mine.  I search the mine and find a hacksaw and 50 coals.  The hacksaw in the mine means there's no bedroll for me in Desolation point.  However, I guess I can still sleep at Hibernia while I forge...  20181124095036_1.thumb.jpg.7b11508164a47755f40339042cc22b87.jpg

I haul my coal down to the trailer.  Dinner is deer meat.  I sleep in the trailer and am starving by morning.  I backtrack to the fishing camp to get the deer carcass and cattails there.  The weather turns and I get down to 93% by the time I reach the camp - I take a quick nap in one of  the huts and assess the situation.  The blizzard lasts unusually long for Deadman mode.  I am completely out of calories - no tea, no soda, no food.  I decide to go for the stream cattails.  I manage to grab some cattails and start a warming fire behind a rock without losing too much condition.  When the blizzard stops, I make my way up the stream and completely harvest all the cattails.  There was less than 25 in total.

20181124101438_1.thumb.jpg.d8b15b6cc26deb77b6ceb45f427f5bc6.jpg
I decide to cut across to the trailer by the bend in the road heading down from the train tracks.  I set a world record for defensive fires when a wolf jumps me from behind a tree.  An almost-blizzard rolls in and I start to freeze.  A random wrist/ankle sprain strikes.  I make it to the trailer freezing and limping - and a wolf just barely gets me as I go through the door.  No bleed, no infection risk.
I go to sleep after applying the stim I found in the mine.  I wake with 71%.

I gather a bunny and some mushrooms by the hut, and return to the fishing huts carrying 1.2 kg of rabbit meat.  I warm up in one of the cabins and head out to go harvest the deer.  I discover that it isn't a deer and is a person.  Crap.  I can't stay here as long as I thought I could.  I make a fire, make teas, cook the bunny and head out for Pleasant Valley.  A blizzard starts.  I have no choice - I have to keep going - but I make the mine without getting hypothermic.  I light a torch in the mine and pause at the PV end to heat up teas and get all the way warmed up.  I mountain goat to the town in a blizzard.  My warm teas save me from cold.
The town (all of it) yields a hoodie, a beef jerky, matches, 2 liters of toilet water, coffee and a granola bar.  I sleep for 6 hours - filling my bar just over halfway and shove all the calories into my mouth.  I don't want to waste coffees just for the calories, but I might have to.  There is no future anyway.  My goal is TWM.  I won't have a bedroll, but I've got lots of cloth for shelters.  I've got 70% condition and am starving.

Archived