BareSkins are dying

BareSkin

22 hours ago, BareSkin said:

And this map definitely feels un-natural. I think it becomes the thing I hate the most in this game.

You'll find your way around it, like you have with other maps!

14 hours ago, BareSkin said:

I want to retry, but I don’t get how people do to choose their starting map.

They don't. As Snowball, I just kept patiently starting new interloper runs until the game put me in TWM.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Drifter Man said:

You'll find your way around it, like you have with other maps!

I tried hard already, but the exploration is short on a loper start, and I feel cheated by this puzzle map. Like, it's not fair, these bush barriers...

BaSk10-D1

I choose Snow Walker (the new tennis feat: stamina recharges faster) instead of Free Runner (sprint takes less calories), since anyway on Loper I’m always starved.

Sunny near-noon day, mountain but no water sounds: my bets go on TimberWolf Mountain. Strong winds, I follow them. That’s definitely not TWM: there is a burnt house afoot the hill I spawned on. Oh Gosh, that’s Skeeter’s. I decide I’ll go straight to TWM, can’t see this place anymore, too much bear-mauling nightmares involved.

Corpse near the cliff: prybar+fir+toolbox, container gives tomato soup. Before entering the basement with hyporisk: 2 reclaimed wood, rose hips. In the basement, 2 cedars, porks and beans, period. No clothes. I break cardboxes and a crates while warming up, I’ll move to the Cache this afternoon, and check the blind if possible. I leave the basement in FL-16. “Pleasant” Valley, good marketing…

I don’t want to run, in case I want to climb. Catch hyporisk while eye-contacting the Blind, find a carcassing book there, head towards the Cache keeping moutain on left hand for intermittent windshielding. I face the winds and it’s awful.

At the outside stove: cedar, cooking pot. In the cache: Negative FL, tinderbook, pass time in bed a bit for positive temp bar, force 4 lockers with the prybar and find... 1 crackers. The prybar is overrated on Loper. Sleep 1h to clear hyporisk, grab the rope, 3 sticks and 1 cedar on the ledge.

screen_2f0fb0e1-d74f-4898-b6d4-1ee047f8e73a.thumb.png.9d4c15d8cbc472778d71a2294e067b8b.png

Skeeter's, I hate you, let's not see each other again. Like, never.

At the top, grab the rope since I’ll never come back. Grab a lot of sticks and my second frostbite risk at Landing Gear, snap two rabbits near what I think is a container. Nightfall, in the Hut, FL-5. FL-3 with the ski jacket on. Dehydrated, starved, frozen: I’m good for a fire.

Grab the 12 matches, birch bark and tinderbook: 80% chance fire outside. It works, and I drop some of my 67 sticks and start some water (1can 1 pot). Finish looting the Hut before I can drink: porks and beans, Frozen Angler, soda, 4 cedars +1 fir, sewing kit, newsprint, 20% sardines I throw away on the lake, crying in the night. Mag lens under the bed? NICE, I LIKE IT!

screen_5b873273-13d8-4464-b0b8-d13099a715d3_hi.thumb.png.7534a9e1c5e6c1bf4d6aaf393a317575.png

Warmup, clear frosbite risk, around midnight I have a full tempbar, I decide to go for a quick trip to the fishut, but I can’t leave MH: it seems my fire stones are blocking me. I don’t want to push it, I’ll try more when the fire will be dead, I don’t need burns to survive.

I make 3 torches, finish cooking the rabbits. Suddenly, an aurora pops up. I lok at the fishut, and see 2 wolves patrolling the lake. Hum, they’re actually coming at me for my cooked rabbit! I’d better close the door for psychological ease, no idea if they still fear the fire under aurora powers. I lure one, yeah, they still fear it.

Fire extinction brings me from FL+28 to FL-10. I sleep 1h using up 75% of my tempbar, conclusion: I need another fire right away. Before that, I drop the smellies, get above the fire (if it’s burning, leaving MH would mean burns) and run to the fishut where I find a Tuke and 1 cloth.

Back at the Hut, I pray for the mag lens to work with aurora (it works during early morning dark night), but it doesn’t so I light up a torch to make my second fire. I have to choose between an exterior one that burns longer or an interior protected one. Tough call. BareSkin9 corpse in the nearby bed helps me decide for the safety of the fireplace. I’ll have to burn hardwood to make it through the night, but I should stay alive with certainty. 10 matches left.

Since I have a fire, I stay awake and stockpile water, and finish harvesting the rabbits. Who knows, I didn’t find any gloves but maybe I’ll live enough to see something cured?

BaSk10-D2

The day is dawning, 7minutes left in the fire, I decide do drop my last stick and spend my tempbar outside to get more. Grab 11 of them outside the Hut before hyporisk, drop them in the fire, I still didn’t use hardwood, but it’s beginning to snow outside. The fire is 1h30 left, but I’m exhausted and would benefit a long sleep to make my 24% health go up a little.

Sleep 1 hr to get rid of red fatigue bar and make a save. Blizzard outside. The decision making is much easier: I drop hardwood in the fire, eat 750 rabbit calories and go for a 10hr sleep-heal The fire will last 8h.

screen_11a92eb2-b4f7-4aca-9222-a60136c1b2a2_hi.thumb.png.ff388140ccc8b561ee1243f8564558c1.png

BaSk10-D3

Was too stupid to think about drinking again after the rabbit meat (see screenshot above), wake up at only 37% health (from 23, thought I would be at around 63)). Aurora night, again? At midnight the aurora disappeared and the bed can’t maintain me in positive FL territory, but I continue to pass time while the temp bar is not strongly attacked.

screen_81014d4e-9dc9-4470-a146-399b466724a9_hi.thumb.png.ad50d1d06f91bf4d52003629fc5e874a.png

3h before dawn, I go out finish my evening temp bar, grab 7 sticks and 2 rabbits, make a torch-fire outside since the weather is nice and I need the fire to exist until warm hours. As soon as I spend the match it’s beginning to snow again, after one full day of blizzard…

I have to drop one of my 2 firs in it (the cedars are done since last night), but anyway I don’t have a hammer to repair. 14% health. Early morning, it’s again a new blizzard. Man, it’s harsh. FL-5, even inside the hut and with the fire. My only chance is that it blows from the back of the Hut. I have to drop my second fir and Frozen Angler in it to avoid hyporisk. 12% health.

I decide I will loose some calories in the void just for not dropping more health. I look everywhere at my cattails stalks, but that’s BareSkin9 who died with thousand of them, in its sleep. I check his corpse in the nearby bed, but can’t find one. Hope it helped some other survivor.

I finish cooking meat, still 2h in the fire, get the guts of the rabbits (takes more time to cure), then the pelts. When finished, the fires dies, it’s noon, FL-12 in the Hut due to blizzard. If the blizzard doesn’t stop, I’m dead. If I don’t grab fuel before night, I’m dead.

A hour later, the blizzard didn’t stop, I have no other choice than burning a new match for an inside fire made of reclaimed wood I wanted to keep for snares. Get hyporisk while starting the fire. I’m now at my traditional "doomed" state, 4% health. The weather calms down, snow in heavy fog but no wind.

screen_6f057523-b667-4104-9884-265d95217bde.thumb.png.5258ecfee8372386255c8668c774167a.png

Sleep 5h only in order not to wake up in the night, wake up at 14%, go straight outside in clear weather for fuel. Full tempbar on a trip to landing Gear, and back. FL0+ in the hut, 25 sticks, night fall. Go for some more sleep in 3*1h chunks. I’m surviving but I won’t go far with no strategy.

I’m thinking about some kind of trip, but that would take a non-blizzard day. Pass time until the temp bar is not too critical, light up a new fire in the late night. 5 fails in a row, good things is I’m less and less stupid, and the 6th attempt is made with the same match than the first one. But it fails again. Six fails in a row. I start to cry.

BaSk10-D4

The first attempt of the second match works. 5 matches left. Eat all the food I still have (tomato soup, porks and beans, crackers), put all the sticks except one in the fire plus reclaimed but I keep 3, sleep 5h. I wake up in clear weather, I immediately go outside spent my temps bar to find sticks, but I collect only 3, plus some rose hips on marsh part of the Lake. Sleep 3 more hours (not enough fatigue despite running for the sticks), hope I can travel a bit to the Wing in late afternoon, find something maybe? I wake up at 23%, positive FL despite the strong winds and snow outside. Pre-blizzard weather, I say to myself.

I’m lost in despair, why going outside in the snow when you know there’s not even sticks for you? I go outside to grab cattails while herding a deer into a wolf, but without fuel it won’t change anything. And I sprain an ankle picking cattails… well, well… The plastic container in the boat is empty of course. The Wing trip is over since I can’t run. The wolf killed the deer, it doesn't change anything for me.

screen_e2d1ebb1-c58e-4cd2-b7d9-4a21bb69eb3d.thumb.png.7662de56a8a151dffd58672f6aa6c2fe.png

I’ll light up a fire just to make some rose hips tea and try my luck at the wing, instead of dying trying nothing. Find 8 sticks behind the Hut, tell myself it’s funny I couldn’t start even only one fire with the mag lens, it’s been 4 days of fog/blizzard.

Heading to the wing from behind the Hut, I immediately get barked at from behind a hill, I run back towards the Hut and pause the game. If I go back to the Hut, I'll be dead soon. I’ll head to the engine cave instead (upstream river), I have a lot of fatigue to spend and I could find coal there.

Just before passing in front the the Mountaineering Hut to go upstream, I die from loss of blood and shock from wolf attack (you know, the deadly one that’s never here). I have not been barked at again, I didn’t have the chance to fight back in a minigame. Not that it would have changed anything anyway…

screen_483fa594-aed8-4d63-9dc2-39756c8dcd59_hi.thumb.png.df04306d1d29e5d38bcf7991770cf59c.png

screen_0033d780-a61c-4450-8a58-29fca6ca1b96.thumb.png.2ed15d6cb3ed8328bf528dd056738f6a.png

10 Bareskins is a nice number for a decimal man like me.

23 hours ago, BareSkin said:

10 Bareskins is a nice number for a decimal man like me.

It took more than 47 Snowballs - an ugly prime number - to survive in the conditions you've chosen. Don't give up! Every new BareSkin will be smarter than the previous one. The run that conquered TWM was probably the most rewarding one I've ever had.

5 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

It took more than 47 Snowballs - an ugly prime number - to survive in the conditions you've chosen. Don't give up! Every new BareSkin will be smarter than the previous one. The run that conquered TWM was probably the most rewarding one I've ever had.

I just don't have what it takes for a Snowball run as of today. These 4 days were not even the bare minimal you should expect to live even without leaving the Lake. But true the weather has been horrible. I might Snowball again a bit later when more confident:D. And when my mind forgot what I've read in your really nice thread, I don't like to copy.

13 hours ago, BareSkin said:

I just don't have what it takes for a Snowball run as of today. These 4 days were not even the bare minimal you should expect to live even without leaving the Lake. But true the weather has been horrible. I might Snowball again a bit later when more confident:D. And when my mind forgot what I've read in your really nice thread, I don't like to copy.

Alright. Moving on to semi-deadman modes is an acceptable excuse :D

BareSkin13- D1 [Vanilla Loper] [Forlorn Muskeg]

After the BareSkin12 Deadman complete fail, I discovered the custom settings games seem not to count towards the Feats, and continuing in BareSkin11 sleepwalker will never bring me Fire Master nor Efficient Machine.

So, let’s go fail more in a snowball-like adventure, but with skaters on some Muskeg-only adventures.

Spawn somewhere unknown in a fog, sounds like the Muskeg, but never seen this place. I follow some kind of overlook, and see a bear: I think I recognize the place where some Bareskin died from a fall, walking backwards. But could also be maybe the lake of HRV I’ve never seen anywhere else than on the map? I find a cave, 3 hardwoods and 3 coals (and stones) in it, but not warm enough, FL-5. I have crappy +1°C clothing…

I push on, keeping the map limit on my right hand. Lots of shrooms and gentle slopes, definitely sounds like the Muskeg. I’m checking at the wolf which is coming back to me, and get killed by another one. Not even sure I should count it as a Bareskin, since I’m not sure I was in the Muskeg.

screen_940f1579-44d3-4e52-8e3d-8873cc164897.thumb.png.0805fb05ca4dcecac859c115f08fb9f4.png

Muskeg, right?

screen_bb01a1e1-3f0c-469f-a7cd-77071570e22d.thumb.png.b6ffddc3406c17f7b9705fd98472c53f.png

That's where I couldn't warm up

screen_6fbc4660-13bb-4101-8f21-b90cd1f15fe6.thumb.png.0183b8cbaa0fe534e66daf0ef5e4726d.png

That's the one I avoided

BareSkin14- D1 [Vanilla Loper] [Random=Desolation Point]

I spawn on the ice between the Lighthouse and some wrecked ship I’ve never seen before. I have a nice sound bug that gives Mackie a Vador-like voice, with all the higher spectrum removed, it’s funny, adds a bit of variety. Since we can skate here and I’ve never seen this place, I’ll keep the start to explore a bit, with a complete newbie POV. Some rabbits, some deers nearby. I see the Lighthouse and think of Bareskin12-the shortest deadwoman ever.

The wrecked ship is pitchdark, but I understand there is a Forge. Sounds a bit like the Muskeg, after all. I escape the place since it’s cold and I have no light, and head to the big structure near it. I didn’t even see a wolf yet. I expect to get killed soon, but I manage to enter the WareHouse, as they call it (re-reading before posting I wonder if I've read a bit too quickly "Whale Processing"?), and find a whole lot of nothing, except there are beds but I’m freezing anyway even inside. Grab a canned food, a book, a newspaper and a storm lantern.

Head downstairs where there’s a big dinosaur carcass, find a flare and a cedar, another exit, there’s a workbench, then I find a safe: jeans and work boots, I’m now in positive FL territory, I hope the temperature in here is constant since it’s nightfall. Back upstairs, I drop my body in a +5 bed. 78% health. I realize I’m not tired at all, so I’ll continue exploring a bit while it’s not completely dark. I don’t want to use my flare, as it’s my only protection, but I won’t find a matches box in the night even if there’s one in here.

There’s a lot of decorative cans in here, it’s a real visual torture. The building starts to light up: it’s aurora night. I should be careful about burns. Trailers outside: I sprint to them, I don’t like aurora wolves and I have no idea if it’s a patrol zone. Whetstone, beds and electric cables I don’t like much. I don’t find any clothing, or food, or drink.

I start being dehydrated, but I don’t want to use my flare to start a fire. I’ll need it to enter the Lighthouse, and I can’t go there now, cause you know, aurora and being freezing. I also want to keep my Porks and Beans for sleeping on calories next night.

I will sleep/passtime in the big building, less electric cables. 76% health.

screen_703029d4-39f9-4c51-9701-20f033f3b326_hi.thumb.png.ed89b6f6e2176d19dcb35f52e2565648.png

Just now, Drifter Man said:

Muskeg. There's one more spawn point on that map on Interloper. Enough spoilers :)

Bareskin 1 and 2 spawned at the waterfall and died shortly after. The first by uselessly looking for the Wintermute Bunker, the second one was too stupid to understand harvesting a deer carcass is useless until you find some ignition.

BareSkin14- D2 [Vanilla Loper] [Desolation Point]

At dawn, I’m at 62% health, I’m a bit disappointed I didn’t find a hacksaw or prybar or hammer in this big metal building, or workpants. I decide a last loot run with to storm lantern. When the fuel is finished, the loot is a lot more satisfying: matches, whetstone, plaid shirt, some canned food, a rifle book (ahah, just the one I needed), a hook. But still no hacksaw.

screen_8967dbfc-7db2-4950-932e-86af86d3af85.thumb.png.d7c38e435e68c6424afbe529f6213b60.png

That was utterly satisfying to find what I believe to be Astrid’s cache. I still won’t spend a match until tonight, since after all it’s an interloper run, I’ll spend my match tonight at the Lighthouse before sleeping. I’m at 62, -3%/h (starvation + dehydration), all I will lose today will be cleared during night, plus in the meantime I will pack up on reclaimed wood (for 0 calorie cost) in here while I wait noon temperatures. Strangely enough, there’s no toilet in this workplace.

Before leaving with 26 reclaimed, I prepare tinder in case I arrive at the lighthouse with a lit torch. Enter the boat wreck again, oh, there's a stairway, that must be the way to the corpse up there on the deck. Beds also, Sewing book, pretty sure it could be worthy to spend and night in there, with fire for light-looting. Accelerant, pork and beans, matches and disinfectant at the pilot cabin.

Maple I can’t get on nearby island, I’m looking for the rabbits when snow starts to fall. I find them along with a deer carcass. Snap both rabbits, and head back to the wreck since I can sleep there, there’s a forget and I have calories. Plus it will conveniently let me loot the place with torches.

Once inside, oops, it’s not a constant temperature, and I’m freezing already. Head straight to the upstairs bed for a warmup, then light a fire. Oh, OK, it’s actually made like a cave: the inner part is warmer, no need for the bed. I start my first fire right away, in the forge. Of course the one-spot cooking will not be efficient, but I’m already as low as 30% health.

screen_30bf254d-326c-46a0-bc01-4526c1d3eaed.thumb.png.4ab9db875501bfc82020efd15cd7fe85.png

Looting gives bandages, coal I take with me instead on leaving it near the Forge, reclaimed, the matches found yesterday were in the boat's kitchen, makes sense. Back at the forge, I process the rabbits and think about strategy. The entry of the lighthouse is deadly even in great visibility, but it seems the temperatures in the wreck are dropping, making the night either fuel-expensive or deadly.

But I have a lot of reclaimed, and there’s more everywhere in here. We’ll see what midnight weather is, after all I still have my Flare to make it to the lighthouse, and I guess there’s one more in there. Temperature are nightfall are -6 at entry, -4 after the stairs, -2 at the bed which has a +3°C bonus. I pull torches, harvest a gut near the bed and the temperature doesn’t drop despite the forge being shut down. I finish harvesting the rabbits completely to get enough fatigue, then eat the rabbit cooked calories (870) and go to sleep. Things are curing in here, that’s definitely an indoor place.

Sleeping 10h brings me from 25% health to 61%. 10h is definitely too much, factors I don’t understand let you dehydrate a bit faster sometimes. Safe side is 9h.

BareSkin14- D3 [Vanilla Loper] [Desolation Point]

I wake up at mid-morning, alive. I think this forge is much safer than the Muskeg one, being indoors and with much better approach visibility. Brake crates starved until noon, head outside to the deer carcass.

screen_c852d6cb-9fd3-476d-9e57-d186ee9f4ca6_hi.thumb.png.ba2509597cc67896d217e8d35f8cab68.png

There’s sun but I have no mag lens. I eat the worst condition porkandbeans cause I’ll be spending some time in here waiting for the carcass to thaw. I take the meat, then the skin. 2*40 minutes is a price too high for 2 guts, since it’s dusk and slowly snowing. I’ll eat everything I cooked, and head to the Lighthouse, praying with my lit torch, then my flare.

As far as I recall from Hopeless Rescue, there’s no other way to the lighthouse than from the wolfy road, but it’s less wolfy from this "north" side. Just before leaving the carcass, I get food poisoning from 60% venison I just cooked… I found antibiotics (when? Astrid's Cache I suppose), but I have to move fast and go sleep.

Of course just when I think I’ll sneak ninja-style to the bridge, crouched from the ice, I hear footsteps. The wolf goes straight to me, as if I had Scent. I light up the flare, a bit angry: how did it detect me? Once inside, I see a 1-spot stove, so I start a fire with the flare outside. Let’s hope I’ll find a second can or a can opener inside.

screen_39a07ed7-da63-45ab-a389-f4196ea7a0d9_hi.thumb.png.8868441e88d27ddf2c1152b9ab0cf9af.png

Loot is poor: no clothing, no cooking can, no tool. Sardines, Firemaking book, cup of tea, and a stim. I’m disappointed I spent a flare for this. Since I’m at 33% health and I don’t know if I heal while being under Food poisoning, I sleep starved, 9h +1h.

BareSkin14- D4 [Vanilla Loper] [Desolation Point]

screen_7d84aafa-96aa-43e4-b71a-667205450823.thumb.png.b4b418eae7616d4bb0654b4762dca21d.png

Wake up at 17% health, but I have ignition, fuel, herbal tea and some calories. I go outside check for the wolves, I noticed yesterday that they leave you alone as soon as you set foot on the bridge. I brake reclaimed until noon, 12% health. Up outside, 1 cloth and 1 cured leather I didn’t find yesterday evening. I run around the light to build fatigue, then head back outside and repeat on the bridges.

Beautiful day, I see the church, and the wolf patrolling its entry point, near an abandoned car. He seems alone, and somehow I believe you can sneak to the church I you wait the wolf to be on he ice part of it’s patrol route, I don’t see any second wolf anywhere, but there are two deers nearby. Oh, I see the second wolf now, near the shore so not a big deal on a trip to the church.

screen_41547bc0-c3ca-4518-a45e-2b3f5db80d5c.thumb.png.be98878d98840428601daa410eaf45bf.png

From this high point, if only I had a bow… Open my inventory: I know why I spent a flare yesterday, since I do have meat on me: the last cooked venison, grabbed just before leaving just when I got food poisoning, it didn’t appear in the radial menu and didn’t light up a scent bar… Newbie mistake. Paid the price, now I’m defenseless.

Match-torch fire in the beautiful afternoon, mainly for water but the warmup from canned food is still good psychologically. I run on the bridges while the water is boiling. The road leading to the church on the right seems unpatrolled. Strong winds blow my fire after the first half-liter is boiled, I can’t even babysit it. I should be OK for sleeping 9h not dehydrated, but I don’t have enough fatigue yet, so I sprint once more before entering the lighthouse with my warmed herbal.

Once in front of the bed, eat the 41% sardines from Astrid’s cache, the venison that cost me a flare and the warm herbal tea. Total 794 calories, I drink and take my chance on a 10h sleep since I’m at only 11% health.

BareSkin14- D5 [Vanilla Loper] [Desolation Point]

I wake up not dehydrated, with 46% health (+35%), around 2AM. What? Man, this blown fire made me go to bed really early. Or maybe the tea made me “wake up fully rested” before the 10h? Unlikely, else I wouldn’t be nearly dehydrated. Still, +35% on a night, Interloper feels really cheated.

I have no idea what to do to wait for dawn, so I harvest my starting leather shoes, craft an OMB and drop antiseptic. FL-19 outside, but I find rose hips (only 16). 1h later in the bed, it’s time for dehydration but it’s not dawn still, and my temp bar is not full. FL-26 outside, I can’t go to the church right now anyway.

I misclick in front of my fire camp and enrage losing a match stupidly. That’s the kind of thing that could bring me to modded game if not patched soon. I wait inside that the water boils, of course the winds change and now my 2-matches fire is exposed. I realize it's stupid to make a fire outside while your survivor is inside in front of a stove when you don't even have 2cans. Habits... I stop dehydration at 41% health.

1L boiled water later, day has dawned and fire is protected again but it’s a pre-blizzard weather. 15 minutes later, winds turned again, no more fire, full blizzard. Let’s hope it’ll end before the warm hours. Lost 2% to cold while taking the water, 38%. There’s a very strange pallet in the Lonely Lighthouse… Quantum tunnel effect, I suppose.

screen_45e4504c-8bab-4795-a598-3c31a01c1e82.thumb.png.02041f65f2079ec6353c97f024130ec1.png

screen_02013b74-688a-46bf-be30-33e791ae9bc1.thumb.png.d9f6cad6e8fd3cde3323b3c071fa804b.png

I pass time in my bed, stupidly dying from starvation, until 2PM. Nice timing. 1 wolf is hunting dear, the other is on the ice: I sprint to the church using the back road. FL-16, snowing, not that good but hey, had to do something. Stone a rabbit at well-named Stone Church, spend a match at the barrel. Loot? Absolutely nothing. Except a newspaper...

Birch sapling I can’t grab, stone the second rabbit. Nightfall, I remember there’s some place nearby if I continue: is it a mine or a trailer, both? It breaks my heart not having enough time to get the 2 rabbit pelts, with the 2 other pelts+ guts curing at the wreck, and the workbench…

screen_08c3b361-fd71-4a9b-b649-2a46e34063d7.thumb.png.030c89e0729d900fb0c032c81166e10d.png

An abandoned mine, will I find a bed in there? I quickly explore but I can’t recall seeing a bed anywhere in a mine. No bed of course, but the coal and 12 matches are nice. I don’t exit the other way, since I don’t change maps on SkateLoper. I guess it's Crumbling Highway. Didn’t find anything else: no clothing, no tool. So, I’ll have to go back to a shelter in the night, I light a new fire to warm some reishis before leaving, overweighted.

The plan is, leave towards the church, keep left, cross road after lighthouse and straight to the boat. I leave a lot of reclaimed at the mine, exchanged for coal. Of course, as I pass the Church, auroras starts… creepy! I crouch, I hear wolves howling everywhere. I notice crows at the waterfall: maybe a deer carcass? Yes. But later.

screen_19cbcf50-2719-4d5c-891e-d4a94b1c16b8_hi.thumb.png.3ae19dbe126132373126f36eda0fdca5.png

The mission for now is just surviving until shelter. Thanks to torch-chaining, I arrive at “The Riken” just when hyporisk appears. Hum, the boat is electrified, I hope I can make it to the bed unburnt, like Danaerys. The Riken in ourora night is creepy.

22% health, I eat 900 calories at 39% decay without poisoning myself, then drink and go for 10h sleep. I dropped the cured deer hide under my feet in case the floor is electrified when I wake up. How is it possible to loot so few in Desolation point once you went to the Mine, the Lighthouse, the Church, the Riken, and the next big building with dinosaur skeleton? Even for an interloper, it seems harsh.

BareSkin14- D5 [Vanilla Loper] [Desolation Point]

I wake up dehydrated at 59% (+37%). And... starved? Oh yeah, I smashed the dog food, lost calories… How can you not even find a can opener on a ship? I’d like to make a hatchet to get those maple and birch saplings, but I have only one metal scrap. Yes, there’s metal everywhere, but I didn’t find my Catherine yet. If I really don’t find a hacksaw, this run is gonna be short.

I drop 30 reclaimed and 15 coals near the Forge before leaving with everything else including uncured guts. I want that second deerskin nearby plus the guts (4 guts= gloves). I’ll take them at the waterfall, with the meat. When I head out, it’s a nice grandma's fog. I drop the guts on the ice before approaching the bridge. Find a rope in a truck (what for, Matt?), no cattails, start the fire near the carcass. I remove my headset, cause the waterfall is too noisy, and anyway I can’t listen to any wildlife. Once I’m finished, the aurora night starts, I hear wolves howling from everywhere, as I sprint to the Whale Processing facility, with 4 fresh guts and 4 pieces of cooked meat.

I make it there alive, god knows how. I don't want to spend a match to find a bed, and there’s no more fuel in the lantern, I should have kept a bit of fuel to allow ignition light, so I pass time and wait for the aurora lights.

BareSkin14- D6 [Vanilla Loper] [Desolation Point]

I wake up at 84% (+34) after 10h sleep, not dehydrated. Today must be about exploring beyond WP. The rabbit mitts are curing, in 5 days I’ll stop fearing hand frostbite (there will still be head). I take the rope with me, just in case. As soon as I leave the place I drop meat in the snow. 5 minutes later, crouched and with no smell, I get barked at. I was only 20m away from the door (the one with stairs), and just when I think the covered place is safe just like the Spence’s, the wolf charges on me. I enter the building, a bit shocked. I double check: nothing smelly on me. This wolf must be from the "deadly sniper" family.

screen_74c955fd-c4b5-4b3b-9514-46c0906c0004.thumb.png.ad9a40f325ba22bcd382c44f928b7960.png

Well, is there definitely no safe place in DP? The church has no bed, the lighthouse is trapped by wolves, the Whale Processing is wolfed too… There are so many places to hide stuff in here, I hope I missed a hacksaw somewhere.

After carefully braking crates for free, I find a prybar. But the locked lockers are at the lighthouse, and I really don’t want to go back there. At worst it’s 2 more scrap metal, with the oil lamp my count goes to 4. Maybe some lockers at the nearby trailer complex? With a hacksaw, I’d be a king here: bow hunting, sewing hooks, knife (=wolfcoat), you name it!

Second inspection of the trailer complex produces nothing more than the first. When I exit, I see another trailer behind the big building. I carefully approach it crouched, ready to get barked at. On a stop, I here wolf footsteps, I feel like a guerillero in Mogadishu, expecting death behind any corner. I change my mind and come back to the stairway entry of the big building. I don’t grab the food I left here, tonight is starved night, since I didn't lose enough life to lose calories.

BareSkin14- D8 (according to in-game journal) [Vanilla Loper] [Desolation Point]

screen_20ea3ae4-714e-4623-a2e4-ee4da4748192_hi.thumb.png.888b53beab0ab6dd3c5aa6a32c2dd254.png

I’m now facing my 2 first cured guts, and wonder if snares at the rabbit island wouldn’t be better than rabbitskin mitts. Only delaying the mitts, of course if the snares work. Plus there’s this third deer hide waiting for me there, and possibly 2 more guts iirc. I go for the snares idea, also because I need to produce guts if I want deer pants, since I have a hook and no sewing kit.

Still wolf footsteps as soon as I exit from the ground floor, run back. I fantasize a hacksaw in the second trailer. Broke every crate in WP, I’ve looted everything there was to loot in there (yes readers, I found the corpse, and the backpack- empty).

I’m counting: with 4 scraps, I can make 1 knife and 2 arrowheads, but can’t make a bow. If I find one more scrap, I can make a hatchet (=bow) but can’t make arrowheads. Also, if I use scraps for forging I can’t sew any rabbitskin mitts or deer pants. Squaring the Circle has been a failure for more than 5000 years (the Egyptians tried), and there's a reason why.

Plan is: go drop the 2 snares at the deer island, finish harvesting the deer, eat canned food and sleep in the boat. When I arrive at Little Island, the deer carcass is not even here anymore… I drop the two snares, snap the rabbit and head back to the boat, frozen. In the boat, I’m freezing today, I have to passtime in bed even in the middle of afternoon… clearly the boat is not constant temperature, or my clothes start to decay a bit too much?

OK, there’s a blizzard outside, that’s why. Start a fire in the furnace, and new opportunity to check the boat a third time, with light. The thought hits my mind: I don’t even have a hammer, and I was thinking about forging, I’m a funny guy… The search of course gives nothing.

Sleep 9hr (lost smashed calories) from 45% to 77%.

BareSkin14- D9 [Vanilla Loper] [Desolation Point]

I’m at FL0- by only a fraction of decimal: I brake 2 crates without even losing a pixel of my temp bar. Plan today: go around the traps, if nothing there come back to the big building and try exploring beyond in the afternoon.

Snares are empty, winds push me to WP, I lose 5% to cold on the trip. Find good dog food under the wooden bridge just before arriving there. Once inside, since I don’t have a hammer, I take my only scrap metal and transform it into hooks.

screen_d754310f-ce5d-460a-a657-066d7c8c394e_hi.thumb.png.4bc4d8309b7b73c960287b21e40135a4.png

This is calling for tears

In the afternoon I sneak into the second trailer, before entering I see there’s a “road entry” to the processing platform, makes sense. The place resembles a lot Maintenance Shed: industrial, wolfy choke-points… deadly. The loot? Ah yes, nothing at all, of course.

I sneak out beyond the building via a pipe, wolf ahead. Oops, two wolves in fact. I push around them, I see a broken bridge and start freezing: back to the building. At least it seems the passage to the road might be safe if I keep left. I could also go back to the lighthouse try my luck on those 3 locked lockers, just to make sure they’re empty.

When I want to get back to the building from behind, I’m face-to-face with a bear., I crouch and sneak in it from a slope the wolf could be patrolling.

Inside, I look at my 2 rabbit pelts and two cured guts, and think about the two rabbit carcasses I left at the church. I then look at my cold hands and wonder if I made the right choice about the snares.

I have to run in the stairs to build fatigue resource, I then sleep-heal 9h on dog food (12% lost) + granola bar, from 59% to 91%

screen_179953c4-7f70-49f5-9041-325e16e29e36.thumb.png.28202c49d4311b6668afa792e989125f.png

screen_0af530a9-2da4-479e-860e-768712f33e01.thumb.png.9c95af34c13ae96841039badc4c62107.png

BareSkin14- D10 [Vanilla Loper] [Desolation Point]

The snares obviously don’t work, I grab them back. I drive a deer in the bay under the lighthouse, thinking it will occupy the local wolves, but I hear a howling just before I start climbing. I’f freezing already, but I could be dead pure and simple if I hurry. The patrolling study pays off, I check the row boats (nothing), before entering the Lighthouse in hopes of finding an Expedition Parka in the lockers.

Freezing is worst than dehydration, so I go inside and check the lockers… wait for it… first is empty, second is full of nothing, but I find something in the third: thin air. The torch-sticks fire ask for 5 attempts, so despite having warmed up 1h in bed I’m already under hyporisk when I start thinking about clearing dehydration and frostbite risks. At noon, of course a blizzard is menacing while I boil water and try to clear frostbite. I feel very tired IRL by this run.

My plan was to check check what there is after the mine entrance, and maybe sneak back to the Riken with the rabbit carcasses, but with this weather and no bedroll… Mid-afternoon, the weather clears up in a beautiful sunny day, allowing my evil plan to take place. Even better, fog before the fire dies.

Torch in hand, I don’t see any wolf below the bridge, so I head towards the shore for exploring a bit, the weather is so nice, that’d be a crime not to use it. As I expected, the far side has a deer protecting the area. Crows= deer carcass. I wonder if that’d be a good idea. I arrive in Katie’s thing, rabbit in there, and another deer carcass: I drop a fire here. Sticks, carcassing book and sardines, two rabbits as side-plate.

Once I have harvested all meat (one rabbit went away), it’s nightfall, I have to make a choice about the skin and guts, but I don’t want to (choose): I go for the last rabbit, see a rope point on the opposite edge (is that why I carry a rope?), I find Katie's corpse (empty), miss the second rabbit twice. But Grandma’s fog is encouraging me the harvest the deer fully: maybe I could sneak along the shore smelly and safe, and if I get barked at drop a decoy and run?

I snap the second rabbit but don’t harvest it: no time. I go for the deer hide, it starts snowing, I drop a coal in the fire and I go for one gut. Blizzard didn’t come in, so I go for second gut after putting 1 more reclaimed in the fire. I don’t eat the meat, since I’ll be smelly anyway. I mistakenly burn the carcassing book instead of a stick to make one more torch. No regrets. I’m completely exhausted when I head into the dark night.

I know this is very risky but hey, it’s guaranteed slow death if I don’t try my luck. I follow the shore at the edge of weak ice, I expect to get barked at, but I have some decoys and a lit torch. What I expected happens, and the wolf heads towards a gut I drop. There’s another one: it is scared by my torch, surprisingly?

screen_5afd891b-fe7f-462f-afd0-650ec9864495.thumb.png.b82c2f550becd0cbbea2a6841c129f85.png

I don’t know if there was a third one, I didn’t hear barking, but I get jumped before arriving at the lighthouse level. His eyes were green, why didn’t I hear any aurora sound? The prybar didn’t save me.

screen_ab6fc82d-6e10-4925-9181-9b897a571232.thumb.png.ac12e1db3ca95658198e4ef9112b80a1.png

screen_c43b9ac4-11b1-4216-b3d8-b2c0d4f80ccd.thumb.png.7dcf242572f7a96a1754978fa881461d.png

Not sure how long I could have lived even without being wolfed, with no hammer, no hacksaw. Best possibilities would have been a fishing line with the next cured gut, and waiting 5 more days to get rabbit mitts, the deerskin pants would have needed more cured guts (for more fishing tackle) but the snares didn’t seem to work on Little Island.

I couldn’t have solved the head frostbite problem, and anyway I don’t see were I would have found the calories to wait for the cured guts without snared rabbits. Maybe some cattails under the broken bridge I didn’t explore?

I’ll make some more skaters runs without posting them here (but still counting their names), I’m already quite late in reporting the first Sleepwalker adventures (which are still going on as of when I write this, 11/4).

BareSkin 15 is a Skater - [Desolation Point].

He is of the "Dying Series" - [Vanilla Loper]

For this one, I allow myself to use the Desolation Point map: OMG, the cave near Church actually doesn't exit the map, BareSkin 14 was forbidden to change map so he couldn't discover it.

screen_95e5a037-9be8-4c2a-8639-69458a44de94.thumb.png.34a084487b7d0846422b48902e56839b.pngscreen_bfa361f5-a67a-450b-bd3f-dd6baebd2e31.thumb.png.abde30003bea0aab5f151b679f31fb38.pngscreen_2549be6c-3316-45b3-a89b-980d7a42f414.thumb.png.bad594be9d1576eaa115be0b9fa7fa65.pngscreen_ec73b1d5-7511-45d0-9fb1-81554e692a25.thumb.png.71c2e8ef8e66625bcc3e06944633cbd1.png

23 minutes ago, Drifter Man said:

I'd say this image is the definition of suicide :) I'm sorry to hear about the demise of BareSkin14. DP is, in my opinion, a difficult map to survive on without gearing up in other regions first. The key stuff just isn't there.

I was genuinely thinking I might get off alive by sharing the profit with the wolves. I understood they are bankers, they don't share if they don't need. There's no less key stuff than a Snowball, right? ^_^

But true, BareSkin 15 had a hacksaw, and it made thing much easier. The actual real problem is having no can opener, and burning fuel for .5L of water every 4 sticks really makes my heart bleed.

38 minutes ago, Drifter Man said:

I'd say there is. Matches tend to be scarce. And there's no summit with good quality clothing.

Well to me Desolation Point is easier since I'm not reaching Summit on Loper yet. Main concerns are lack of matches, yes, and having only one can.  That's the first time in TLD that Hydration is actually my main problem.

And there's the added frustration of all this metal, these saplings, this forge, and no hammer. Terrible.

Archived