BareSkins are dying

BareSkin

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Drifter Man said:

That cabin above Fishing Camp - I don't think I've ever seen it not burnt down on an Interloper or Deadman run.

Thanks for the good tip, I was assuming after finding it burnt that it was an RNG thing like the first houses when you arrive from Desolation Point. I was sure to find it but that was my brain being messed up by 4DON run. I recall being surprised finding a home during 4DON, but assumed that was my lack of experience.

2 hours ago, BareSkin said:

Thanks for the good tip, I was assuming after finding it burnt that it was an RNG thing like the first houses when you arrive from Desolation Point. I was sure to find it but that was my brain being messed up by 4DON run. I recall being surprised finding a home during 4DON, but assumed that was my lack of experience.

It may be a RNG thing - just the likelihood of it being destroyed seems to be very high. It's a shame, as a shelter it's quite well placed.

Barskin23- day5 [DeadMan Challenge] [Efficient Machine][Cold Fusion]

screen_3aac5e97-09aa-4575-a988-f35edeee5907.thumb.png.11f80ff89d2a80a92958e4ebfcd2f20c.png

I spend the morning sewing up some clothes, when I head outside after noon, I'm windshielded at FL-1! I hear Janis Joplin: Summeeeeeeerrtiime... I find nothing at the trailer near Train unloading, but a chocolate bar and beef jerky in the trailer just under it. At the nearby cabin, 2 rabbits and a deer, it’s already late so I decide I’ll stop here and eat the rabbits. I find in the cooler 750 calories at 4% state. I have antibiotics so I decide I will eat them after cooking the fresh rabbits. That’s a no brainer on deadman since you never heal anyway.

screen_4159e2a2-f2bf-435b-9ea4-6f301a291303.thumb.png.3b75808ca44c1d22c83b8695f8025b95.png

That's when you shoot

In the Cabin, I also find a second can! Alleluia! The 4% 750 calories gets ruined during the time I pass in bed to be exhausted enough for 10h sleep, it can’t be eaten anymore, no idea if this is the game talking to me, but I accept this fact.

It’s an aurora night, I transfer to the next trailer, above a deer carcass I will process once I’m warmed up.

screen_4e8534e8-101f-44ec-9b81-ca908d8aae8d.thumb.png.9898e508234245b1f20be622e8051167.png

Barskin23- day6 [DeadMan Challenge] [Efficient Machine][Cold Fusion]

After processing the carcass (everything goes perfectly), I find nothing in the Log Sort trailer, and head straight to the next carcass. I light a fire there from the torch-chain I started at the first carcass. After 19 minutes sawing steaks, snow starts. While waiting the water to end boiling, I see all the wolves moving towards me because of my raw meat.

screen_6708e512-4e30-40f4-bfcb-d405c13200c7.thumb.png.a6ced5b858d7f495ede8cf2b10e2c5c4.png

They actually have to go towards a living deer to reach my position. As soon as the first wolf locks on the deer, I drop my raw steaks. The chasing vanishes into the fog, direction JackRabbit. The winds kill my fire, I leave the raw steak on ice and go try a very nice kill steal. The kill did happen, and took place on the island, just below the house, that's just perfect! I’m nearly frozen already, I light up a flare and start a fire where I can, shielded place but not too steep, the wolf already has stopped eating MY meat.

I want it to aggro me, the plan is to run back to the fire, since I can’t start one on the slope. I don’t know if the winds turned a bit during my approach, but I don’t make it back to the fire alive. No screenshots, was too busy, sorry.

2 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

What? You don't take screenshots when you're being torn apart?

Good deadman run! Short but exciting.

I like this mode as a Challenge, I'm pretty sure I'll go back to it from time to time, until I make it to 30 days. But I also truly love to have to plan the "endgame" (survive past -50), which is not reachable to me in Deadman, plus I don't really like the Stim-hunting screenplay it puts you on. Sleepwalking definitely gives you good habits about feeding, from 24m alive to 6 days is already quite a win to me :D

Barskin24- day1 [DeadMan Challenge] [Efficient Machine][Fire Master]

screen_b39cc4cf-083d-46c1-8a9b-662fb3485ec1.thumb.png.8e6b1b9ffc854ad36ff7e250551f3af5.png

HRV spawn, cold morning… great… Plan is simple: fire up the map immediately (I always allow maps on deadman anyway) and get out ASAP, preferably with a bedroll, a hacksaw, and my life. The last part is the hardest of course, with the probability of too much friendship in the cave.

I spawn near the double-tree-bridge which I believe to be near Long Shot falls, remembering Bareskin11 start I should enter the 2-stories Ice Cave, go out near a rope point, take it and exit the place.

FL-3 in the Ice Cave, I didn’t take Cold Fusion and will pay for it. I arrive by chance at the campfire, find a book and Catherine in pitch black, nothing else. Before leaving, I tell myself it’s strange not the find matches near the campfire. New blind-search, the matches box is so small… I find it, immediately light a fire even if I have no fuel except the book. I took Fire Master instead of Clod Fusion, it pays out now, 100% fire on you’re only piece of fuel is priceless.

screen_6d348640-3ef5-4ae9-b31c-de72517acd30.thumb.png.cf7fe69485547e9c0366a9429748abb8.png

While starting the fire I see 2 cedars, one porkandbeans, a bedroll, and a backpack to be searched. It also means I’ll haves torches. MasterCard can’t beat it. I manage to drop a cedar before freezing. I’m a 3rd deadman with 100% health, hacksaw and bedroll, and fire in an HRV spawn? Good TLD gods, I must be dreaming!

The backpack has Survive the Outdoors: good tinderbook. No porkandbeans, it’s a 31% dog food, I immediately smash it to try my luck before it goes under 30%, and I’m lucky. Same condition for the sardines, but my stomach is not empty enough yet. I drop second cedar, the torches that come out are 44% so I take 3 of them: one for navigating the lower part, one for the upper part, and one last for the next firestart.

The plan is to head outside and leave the map during the afternoon, it’s not noon yet so I stay near the fire for it’s remaining time, 1h making water. Funny, you find a campfire and a bedroll where you actually can’t deploy it. Before leaving, it’s time for sardines and I’m lucky again.

screen_ebeea423-5412-42b4-8afa-e78a01b8afc8.thumb.png.87a72c0459dcf94917265697d27d22ff.png

I’m so lucky, I’m alone in the cave! After finding a coal (no corpse), I climb the rope to the upper floor, and noon light is sufficient to find the exit.

I’m a little bit ahead of schedule, but at noon the weather is so nice it can’t be refused, the absence of winds compensate the colder air temperature. I immediately go check the place BareSkin11 found matches: tomato soup, cedar, no matches. FL-24, I understand it’s not my time and go back to the Ice Cave for a fire just before freezing. I notice there’s a wolf on my way to the rope.I also noticed up there that maybe I could shortcut my way out without the rope. And without passing by the bear cave that is under there.

screen_e1e942eb-db0c-46ae-8b31-7a1a3fbe6aab.thumb.png.2f7df8f01275fd841097daedf0168fab.png

I sleep 2h in the cave at neutral FL point (-3°+3.1°) to wake up in the afternoon. Bad weather when I wake up, I sleep 1 more hour in hopes in will turn better.

It does not, I grab rose hips and make a coal fire to prepare tea and start with full warmth bar. 1h later, at nightfall, the winds are a bit down, FL-12 when shielded, I run to the platform above the cave entrance and start downclimbing. I run because calories are less fatal than hyporisk. I sprain quasi instantly, good moment to sip one of these teas, still hot. The rest of the downclimb is slow but shielded, I arrive at the tree bridges with half my warmth but my torch has been blown out.

Again, I decide to run to the exit, run everything I can to avoid hypo risk. I don’t sprain, but drink the second tea on the way, just for the warmup.

screen_9a2fbeeb-f660-4068-b8e5-ab3202d38a12.thumb.png.51ba96669155a9db7e4fe1e470d28488.png

FL-0 in the cave, crap! I’ll have to move on to the Milton trailer, no choice. 1 cedar, 8 coals, I exit and run to the trailer before freezing. I notice I have lost 3% health in my fall on my exit run. FL-1 in the trailer, I sleep for staying warm, I can’t loot in pitch dark.

Barskin24- day2 [DeadMan Challenge] [Efficient Machine][Fire Master]

Before dawn, I’m out of Fatigue and potable water, but still above half my hydration bar. Since I have nothing else to, I look in the trailer by hand in pitch dark and find a storm lantern! Which tells me which loot table I’m on. I wish Hinterland makes it more random soon, predictability sounds dumb. I find a book and 30% dog food with the lantern.

The plan for today is looting the nearby cattails and rabbits if possible. The dear carcass behind the church sounds tempting, but the church is also very wolfy. I’d better rope down to Grey’s house for clothes before anything else.

Outside, I start a fire in the barrel in the coldest hour, 100% thanks to the book, drop coal, and take my time taking advantage of outside fire bonus while looting the place for sticks and shrooms. While doing so I recall that BareSkin11 did craft his mitts in there and it was a good call, but he is not a deadman so I wonder...

screen_2f254d62-b3c3-4a96-a11b-e9c847a28fd2.thumb.png.cce92ed3c0f26104e3635ac4bcf4d1a0.png

Some deer is running to the trailer from the Church: the path to there must be wolfy, confirming I’d better go straight to the cattails and rope down to Grey. Bring the fire to the marsh just when the fire dies, a heavy fog drops on the world. Once the coal is in the fire, I warm up and loot all the cattails I can. And I eat my first meat, some rabbit gave me in all friendship.

screen_64ab1b61-7ce0-4dc7-8ee6-a6587aab57e8.thumb.png.dce7f2de971fa73d02f145d2ee1b8f5f.png

I end up with 17 stalks and 1.6kg eaten rabbit meat when I head towards the rope to Grey a little bit after noon. There is a carcass at the rope, but I let my fire die, and since the plan is to come back to avoid certain death inside Milton, I don’t touch it.

screen_523c72db-42b3-46a1-bd37-3bfd46aff42b.thumb.png.7220dfeabd46a17fee288f4b3c40df64.png

I crouch to sneak into Grey's. One member of the Milton Jacket is right in front of the door. I read in his eyes For Jacky when his jaws grab my neck and tear it apart. Dead.

Barskin25 day1 [DeadMan Challenge] [Efficient Machine][Fire Master]

I spawn just before noon, at an unknown spawn point, grab the sticks, the weather is not too bad, but light snow. I follow a huge rock-corridor leading down the slope. Big forest, cut trees, Mystery Lake near the trailers of logging camp? Oh, I can see the ancient Lookout road post sign. OK so that’s trailer on the left or Unnamed pond on the right. I’ll go for trailers, then to the Pond cabin.

screen_29226d51-4f1e-4f7b-92da-0c22e99a2eb8.thumb.png.dc655fbbca4e8135cf099e77a81bf7c3.png

I change my mind, it’s already too cold, and the Pond Cabin is closer. Find nothing in there except books, I spend 2h sleeping and 2 more hours passing time the get a warmth bar back, and leave to Trapper’s. I stay shielded during nearly all the trip, I sprint as soon as I can and make it with no freezing damage, but I’m dehydrated already, and have no ignition. I understand I’ll have to transfer to Camp Office at night, not very happy about it…

I loot a thick wool sweater and wool scarf in the safe, porkandbeans and chocoalte bar, sewing kit+ cloth. Hacksaw+ storm lantern, cooking pot, cooking book. And a “Note left behind” speaking nonsense about 5 (FIVE) rabbits per day… The clothing is nice, but there’s no drinkable food, crap!

Tough decision: if I don’t go to the Office now, it’ll be dark and I’ll suffer dehydration until midnight light, plus it’ll get colder. If I go now with only 20% of my warmth bar… I decide action is better and head toward deadfall, try to shield myself from the winds but clearly there's no efficient way to do so.

I pass Deadfall with no problem, two wolves down there, I cross the railway, get barked at, run and get wolfed right in front of the Camp Office post sign.

Barskin26- day1 [DeadMan Challenge] [Efficient Machine][Fire Master]

screen_dc9cc903-687f-405f-8507-4d0ec01a84d0.thumb.png.e7a20613338b51da75bb6a78edf40ff6.png

Same spawn as Bareskin25, but just before midnight. I have to reach Camp Office first, but looking at the map, I’ll be frozen to death before arriving, even spawning in warm hours I barely made it to the Pond Cabin. I head to the Logging camp trailers, just for the sake of trying something else.

The trailer is at FL-1, and I entered it with 99% of my life taking a route that is in your back when you spawn. I’m surprised and open the clothing section, +4° bonus! But a blizzard kicks in and puts me to negative FL, so I stop searching the dark and spend time in the bed until dawn.

Barskin26- day2 [DeadMan Challenge] [Efficient Machine][Fire Master]

Before dawn I’m dehydrated but still can’t loot the trailers. Already searched a plastic container and a drawer, no results. Cooking pot and recycled can in the burnt shack, plus a firelog. No ignition. I’m at 95% health when I finally can barely see something, I find a good Jeans. No food, no water, no ignition.

When I switch trailer, the weather is snowy and windy just like before a blizzard. Transferring to the Lookout now would be more suicidal than staying dehydrating. Beef jerky in trailer2 ? Yes thank you, it’s not like my thirst bar will suffer it. Total loot includes a tinderbook and herbal tea. And the most precious thing in TLD: shelter warmth during my first and second blizzard.

screen_7c763b05-9a87-4bc6-893e-3b9dc9899422.thumb.png.319c5b4647cd120001376918de6dca3b.png

This second blizzard removes me from the obligation the decide if leaving the trailer in the morning is a good move, even if at noon it turned and now blows towards the Lookout. 86% health.

This blizzard never ends. I know every square centimeter of these 3 trailers, it’s 2PM, 83% Health. That makes me think, isn’t it -2%/h of dehydration on interloper? -16% for 8h dehydration, I suppose. That would make one more Custom Setting broken (either the setting or the template), since that’s the well-know rate of Interloper, whose template is only “high” compared to deadman “very high”. So, I expected -4%/h on deadman.

Mid-afternoon, after heavy sleepwalking, the blizzard ends, the price has been 20% of my health bar. There are still strong winds and snow, I spend precious calories running to the shielded parts of my trip. I arrive at the lookout greeted by hyporisk, I immediately sleep 1h. I find “survive the outdoors” a storm lantern, useless whetstone, useless newspaper. Why can’t we drink disinfectant?! I swear I'd give it a try. Sewing kit, prybar. I don’t care about all of this, I need food and water! Or at least make the winds die, goddamit, gimme a chance!

At dusk I have no other choice than leaving, I make it to the Office with hyporisk, after a 1-try fail on a rabbit. Immediately light up my storm lantern to loot the place, I find some food and the maglens ans useless whetstone, but only a tomato soup for the thirst. It’s night already, the maglens is useless, I still have no ignition, so no water. I’m at 68% health when I begin wondering what I’ve done wrong. Making a side trip for derailment in hopes for a flare would have cost me cold damage and wolf risk, and probably for nothing.

My warmth bar is out so anyway, I’m stuck here for several hours. Will I dare transfer to Lake Cabin in midnight cold light? Will I just pray the gods for sun in 10h, leaking -20% health? You can find matches in fishuts right? I eat everything, tomato soup the last, before going for 4h sleep. Aurora night!

I take advantage of the wildlife spawn poor code to run through the Lake Cabins before the green wolves arrive at their patrol spot. I can’t loot the fishuts: too dangerous, too cold. Good sardines in the first cabin, only painkillers in the other one…

screen_9ee21721-50fd-4797-95f0-dc9269e6c20b.thumb.png.58c5e51535eacfaaa5488a7aec35d1f2.png

I sleep 1h then transfer to the other cabins, running in midnight light. First one, nothing (well, books and newspapers). Second on: same (without the books). The third one is burnt. I’ve looted Outlook, Camp Office and Lake Cabins: no clothes, no ignition. Am I that unlucky? I don’t remember such a hard Loper start. I’m down to 56% health but don’t feel that guilty honestly, I don’t see what I’ve done wrong. I become suicidal and eat 26% dog food without consequences: OK, maybe the gods are finally looking at me?

I’ll wait dawn and pray Helios.

Guest jeffpeng

Wouldn't the dam have been the better option if you needed water so desperately? Toilets are an amazing accomplishment of society for so many reasons!

Well that's evident once the choice I've made prove wrong. I was more focusing on ignition, since ignition removes the water problem. And I was quite sure to find some on my way. Actually my brain can't allow me to arrive at the Dam from the bridge, as said before I'm really wolf-paranoid, and to me this bridge is just like Death Bowl: a gambling. Plus once at the Cabins, there's a ton of firewood, easy escape to Trapper's. I just need some sun to start my run.

I just noticed I didn't even publish the end of this BareSkin...

Guest jeffpeng
12 minutes ago, BareSkin said:

I was more focusing on ignition, since ignition removes the water problem.

Now you know how Walker 1 had that idea of his to run into Desolate Point :D

Barskin26- day3 [DeadMan Challenge] [Efficient Machine][Fire Master]

I wake up rested, before dawn, at 50% health. And of course morning strong winds coming from my destination… and cloudy so I can use the maglens for drinking a bit. It’s a nightmare. When I arrive at the last Cabin, of course the bear is guarding it! Come on, Game, what can you throw at me after that? That’s all you got?! I play and’n’seek around the cabin and enter it alive. I find my 11th book and my 23rd newspaper, but… you know the end.

screen_0794310b-59c9-49bd-85e6-fb1900a402ee.thumb.png.8c5e0e20b2327fbfe0a4e73c2adf2d5a.png

Sleep 1hr, still no maglens. 1 more hour, it’s went from cloudy to heavily foggy…I shout all my anger at the skies. I’m at 40% health, but full of despair. I have a full tempbar, so I go check the last fishut and find… a stone! MAN! Is the game actually making fun of me?

screen_4e2f5cd0-693f-4f33-afd7-6abad01e8c75.thumb.png.c4a46203697465b0f09432281921bffb.png

The Game can troll you, it's in its code

At noon I’m back to full tempbar, but I can’t honestly find the other fishuts in this fog. 33% health. 285 calories left. 0 water. This survivor doesn’t even know what drinking feels like. 1h later, I decinde I can’t die stupidly waiting for sun, I find the next fishut in to find to find only a reclaimed, I’m fed up, I decide tonight I’ll sleep at Trapper’s, I’ll escape via the rope and if a wolf is in the fog… well, what can be done about it? There’s not even a single damn cattails on the whole Cabins shore… 32% health.

screen_f5280543-1353-431e-8d69-ba1779c4a9c1.thumb.png.6926e1af763cc5ac95f56c6797c45909.png

Thanks to the fog I explore the 3 fishuts (4th one has already been explored), no ignition. No ignition. No ignition.

Above the rope, when I arrive at the cave, the SUN greets me! I immediately start a 100% book fire and launch 2*0.5L water in two pots. The gods have waited for me to be starved to show a little bit of mercy. When I have 1L unsafe water, I want to purify it but start drinking it instead, without getting punished for messing up in the UI. The gods tell me they’re looking at me, and that they had of lotta fun during 2 days.

I only melt snow, I don’t boil it but use the tablets instead, never thought I would use them someday! The water is not a problem anymore, I’ll make fires for calories and have pots, I just want to warmup and leave soon. I use a herbal as warmup. 25% health.

screen_412d5216-8fb2-4c04-9052-4b257cc8178d.thumb.png.6a7237e62d233b8d3550c9854a748bef.png

Can't recall using tablets before

Of course the price to pay for sun is winds, and of course they come from Trapper’s. I make it without hyporisk to the kinda-lake of Trapper’s, since it’s still sunny and I picked some sticks on my way I head directly to the barn for the deer carcass. Which is not here. What a scam!

I snap the 2 rabbits before entering Trapper’s, I’m forced to sleep 1h to stop freezing and exhaustion and the sun goes away. Find a second sewing kit, cloth, hammer, everything useless. Wool scarf and work boots in the safe, blizzard outside. NO IGNITION. I’m at 20% health, there was absolutely no food in Trapper’s, I have no antibiotics for raw rabbit, but I’m at my last resort.

screen_f5da999a-8e21-4aa4-88db-18d89b33ee10.thumb.png.452c486c040d2e4751b4b0294c6ec8cb.png

I extinguish the lamp, get ready to harvest the rabbits, but wonder if I would find matches at the campfire in the nearby cave. Let’s give it a try, I feel like I’m already dead anyway. First time I will die with 5 cooking pots. Of course there are no matches at the campfire, but I still pick the coal, for the next survivor who will arrive at Trapper’s.

Time for some thinking: waiting for dawn is being dead and praying the sun is being dead, There is not alternative (copyright Mrs Thatcher) so I harvest raw meat and eat it, you know just in case… But I rightfully contract food poisoning, and since anyway the morning is a blizzard, I decide to go away in my sleep.

screen_29cecb81-4b7f-43ac-895c-7f92165addf7.thumb.png.deab60abbd5d7d86fbebc19b372c3fe0.png

Interloper or Sleepwalker or Deadman wouldn’t have changed a thing since I’ve had maybe a total of only 3h with all my needs satisfied. Can’t believe you can spawn in mystery Lake, loot Trailers+Lookout+FishHuts+Cabins+Camp Office+Trapper’s without finding matches. Well actually maybe on Loper I would have tried to wait the morning for sun, but on deadman under 10% health...

Had the barn carcass been there, I could have tried moving to the dam next evening on full stomach and hydration... This run was no fun at all, thinking I lost only 1% to cold.

screen_33329543-f253-4d54-af44-d0547311ec34.thumb.png.c611aea040a976df12fc3235a42e6c23.png

Guest jeffpeng

Wow I mean.... in general BareSkin26 really got dealt the losing hand, draw the short straw, stumbled into some bear poop and then had bad luck on top.

Sometimes stars align like this. I actually enjoy these "lost" runs as well, usually they're over quickly anyway and they teach me appreciate how lucky I am during the other runs.

There's a static match spawn not too far from Trapper's but I assume you still don't invite spoilers about the world layout.

Guest jeffpeng
1 minute ago, Drifter Man said:

how lucky I am during the other runs

One of the Kermit runs was like that .... spawn, dark, cold, walk, fall, dead. It was genuinely the shortest run I ever had. There is a strange poetry in those runs.

4 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

There's a static match spawn not too far from Trapper's but I assume you still don't invite spoilers about the world layout.

The only place I've not looked at is Deadfall (and I'm quite sure there's no static), but I think you're thinking of Abandoned Lookout. I never go up there, since there's no shelter, but maybe on next desperation that could be an idea I'd try out!

4 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

One of the Kermit runs was like that .... spawn, dark, cold, walk, fall, dead. It was genuinely the shortest run I ever had. There is a strange poetry in those runs.

My first deadman was a world record. Of shortness. 24 in-game minute, and I can assure you I wanted to get alive in the Lighthouse.

Guest jeffpeng
14 minutes ago, BareSkin said:

The only place I've not looked at is Deadfall (and I'm quite sure there's no static), but I think you're thinking of Abandoned Lookout. I never go up there, since there's no shelter, but maybe on next desperation that could be an idea I'd try out!

I'm pretty sure that's not what he meant. ^^

1 hour ago, BareSkin said:

but I think you're thinking of Abandoned Lookout. I never go up there, since there's no shelter, but maybe on next desperation that could be an idea I'd try out!

Abandoned or Destroyed Lookout ? I wouldn't say there is "no"  shelter there... there is the collapsed portion of wall with a roof section on the ground that I have used in a pinch many times

4 hours ago, BareSkin said:

I don't know about any static matches in ML, which makes it a harder starting region.

In the cave halfway between Trapper's Homestead and Milton Park.

Archived