Drifter Man

A Few Dead Men

Wow, just caught up on your adventures. Haven't played the update since the release day and boy, did they just wreck deadman with the bark tea, huh?

You can make a very convincing deadman-lite ( barkman? ) mode with the new features but it just lost that appeal of "once my health and stims are gone, they are GONE" that the original deadman had. This makes me sad.

Still, I guess it's a foregone conclusion that regular loper players are a small minority of the player base, and Loper+ adventurers like us are an even smaller niche. I'd just like them to provide options within the custom game structure to parametrize the new features as well. No reason it can't be done, other than the target audience is very small. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

I believe the old one still applies - 8MHI-/z8M-Dw++-wSWm-bAAA

As pointed out in another thread it has wrong starting weather. 

Also deadman was every setting against the player (?) but this now has weather variability and blizzard frequency not at the top. 

17 hours ago, Looper said:

As pointed out in another thread it has wrong starting weather. 

Also deadman was every setting against the player (?) but this now has weather variability and blizzard frequency not at the top. 

True. I tweaked it a bit, it should now be 8MHM-/z8M-Dw++-AcKm-fgAA

19 hours ago, Dan_ said:

Wow, just caught up on your adventures. Haven't played the update since the release day and boy, did they just wreck deadman with the bark tea, huh?

You can make a very convincing deadman-lite ( barkman? ) mode with the new features but it just lost that appeal of "once my health and stims are gone, they are GONE" that the original deadman had. This makes me sad.

Still, I guess it's a foregone conclusion that regular loper players are a small minority of the player base, and Loper+ adventurers like us are an even smaller niche. I'd just like them to provide options within the custom game structure to parametrize the new features as well. No reason it can't be done, other than the target audience is very small. 

Yeah... extreme interloping isn't for everyone, most survivors probably prefer to sit on the patio on a sunny afternoon, sip birch bark tea and watch rabbits hop around in the snow :D

• Like 2

I'm sure with even a few loud voices that the next update would probably restore the true deadman code. All it would take is to turn off birch bark tea or remove "healing over time". I hadn't played too seriously on deadman (One run of 3 days and another still going at 30 days) but it still appealed to me to be able to try it. I am surprised that there is not a much larger interloper and interloper+ community within the game as once you've done everything in voyageur and stalker it gets rather stale.

10 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

8MHM-/z8M-Dw++-AcKm-fgAA

Cool thanks!☺️

On 5/19/2019 at 4:58 PM, Dan_ said:

Barkman - excellent. I advocate that future Deadman runs including Birch bark tea consumption shall henceforth be titled 'Barkman'. Should the notorious @Drifter Man start new adventures in this field, a new thread titled 'A few Barkmen' should be opened.

• Like 1

Maybe birchman because it's the wolves that do the barking. :D

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tulkawen said:

Maybe birchman because it's the wolves that do the barking. :D

I too think that birchman would be more appropriate :D But I probably won't do a classic deadman for now. I have one experimental idea in mind, let's see i it is fun.

• Upvote 1

On 5/21/2019 at 6:27 AM, Looper said:

Cool thanks!☺️

I've noticed an error - sorry! Wolf spawn distance should be set to close.

8MHM-/z8M-Dw++-AcKm-eAAA

10 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

I have one experimental idea in mind, let's see i it is fun.

Sprainman? Always have a sprain?

Meleeman - wrestle 50 wolves?

Curiosity hurts😀

On 5/18/2019 at 9:30 PM, tulkawen said:

The wolves are pests, I feel like their range has been increased a bit as well. Not my cup of tea when the games wolfs it up.

I'm pretty sure the wolf range has increased too playing interloper. Some of my safer routes in FM are now being squeezed. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Looper said:

Sprainman? Always have a sprain?

Meleeman - wrestle 50 wolves?

Curiosity hurts😀

Someone once suggested a challenge where you would have to attack every wolf you see and fight it hand-to-paw :D Not my cup of birch bark tea.

• Upvote 1

Ya know, that classical question 'Can you eat trees?' is now being answered.

Barkman makes sense too since we DO eat trees now and it's not far from going barking crazy or howling at the moon ourselves in solitude. :D

Drifter, oooh! I am curious what you have in mind. Are you planning to write out that experimental game?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tulkawen said:

Ya know, that classical question 'Can you eat trees?' is now being answered.

Barkman makes sense too since we DO eat trees now and it's not far from going barking crazy or howling at the moon ourselves in solitude. :D

Drifter, oooh! I am curious what you have in mind. Are you planning to write out that experimental game?

What about teaman? - survive as long as you can on teas.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Looper said:

I think you've invented a new challenge. :D Which mode would it be then? Loper?

18 hours ago, tulkawen said:

16 hours ago, Looper said:

It is essentially that - my next adventure seems to be less exciting though. I'm not sure if I can make it work as a survival story.

Just finished reading this thread from start to finish. Amazing read, it really felt like playing the game with you. 

• Like 1

On 6/1/2019 at 2:17 AM, slorinc said:

Just finished reading this thread from start to finish. Amazing read, it really felt like playing the game with you. 

Thanks @slorinc - great to hear!

• Like 1