A Few Dead Men

Drifter Man

Deadman 10 / Day 71

During my regular trip to the cave, I spot a wolf following me from direction Unnamed Pond. I skip the cooking today and decide to take on the wolf. After warming up in the cave, I lure it to Trapper's Homestead and land a nice shot - still, the wolf runs away.

screen_d03dbeea-c5c3-4abb-bcb2-617d5bda5154.thumb.png.50ce10a46b6a994a1a53a42049f2611f.png

A while later it returns, limping around the cabin, but I'm too cold to wait for it to die in this convenient place. I return to the cabin to warm up. When I exit about half an hour later, the wolf is nowhere to be seen, of course. Crows help me locate the carcass on the slope on the other side of the hill, direction Unnamed Pond. The wolf must have practiced yoga before death:

screen_79be0522-fe4c-484a-ab30-72b543269ebd.thumb.png.c3fd81339907977011f92b18c1874b3b.png

As expected, the slope is too steep to make fire. I only spend a few seconds looking for my arrow - unsuccessfully - before I'm forced back to the cabin by the cold.

At least the feather allows me to make another arrow.

Good news: I relocated snares closer to the cabin as @BareSkin recommended and they work just fine.

Deadman 10 / Day 72

Fog in the morning, felt -30°C. I'm determined to get that wolf. I make a run across the hill and find the nearest possible place, partially sheltered by a rock. I invest a firestriker use, accelerant and about 35 sticks into a campfire, plus a coal later, and begin by warming up and cooking some rabbit meat I brought along with me. Then I return to the wolf and take the pelt and 4 kg of meat while taking regular breaks at the fire.

The weather is extraordinarily favorable. I expect wind to kill my fire soon, but instead the fog lasts all day, with a windless break around midday, until nightfall. I use this opportunity to collect sticks in the area and also find a maple sapling. I return with about 80 sticks, so firewood should be safe for a while. I also have six new feathers for two new arrows. The old one is lost though - I searched the area, the slope and below the slope, but the arrow is gone, plain and simple.

screen_c79bccec-2cbe-4b90-8958-e12e641ad2b3.thumb.png.ee1fe593aaf0f785ecb07d9b4c0843a9.png

Before going to bed I collect six new rabbits from snares.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Deadman 10 / Day 73

After the daily chores, I choose to wander around towards Unnamed Pond in light fog in the afternoon. Although I have a torch in hand, my temperature bar is about half depleted before I even approach the pond, and because I was collecting sticks here yesterday, I don't find anything. I don't want to spend the night in the cabin at the pond, so I turn back.

The fog gets thick and I run into a wolf - it respawned two days after I killed it, or maybe it is another one. I meet it on a slope, so I quickly retreat to a place where I can start a fire. Torch or no torch, again, I have to go with the stupid default firestriker-reclaimed wood combination because the wolf is already charging. The attempt fails but the wolf runs away in time. When it's gone, I start a proper fire with my torch. I need to warm up.

Later I slip through the fog to the safety of Trapper's Cabin.

Deadman 10 / Day 74

Today I take my revenge for yesterday's nasty surprise. Clean headshot this time, another pelt and 5 kg of meat. The fire is unprotected but the weather is nice to me today and lets me finish the job.

screen_4e8d46cc-5fab-49d4-ae9f-e6af3fd3bbf7.thumb.png.2e2d7379d9f8c3ee3f0833e5a189b4bf.png

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Deadman 10 / Day 75

Lazy day with bad weather. Sun doesn't show up, so I skip cooking as I'm already swimming in cooked meat. I harvest fresh rabbits, repair my shirt (one sewing kit dies), craft two new snares and one last arrow. I now have 11 arrows - of the 14 arrowheads I brought from FM over 40 days ago.

I pay a visit to Max as his wolves still aren't around. Unlike Andre, who died broke, Max died with a tinder plug and 0.30 liters of kerosene in his pockets. I have a lantern, so I can use it. I could also use it as accelerant. Maybe.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 2

Deadman 10 / Day 76

All-day blizzard that ends with a brief show of sunshine at dusk. I cook long into the night, enjoying the sunset and the dancing lights of the aurora. Then I sleep in the cave.

screen_052c5cac-b371-417e-8343-9550c16cf46a.thumb.png.8acab2aaa63d7be6b145c24247b918b1.png

screen_88ec06cb-0e47-415a-b209-edecdf0e9aaa.thumb.png.75acf4bcd447ea76de9d37a1f8489ba5.png

screen_0ea9da58-9f6a-4654-92bf-e411ae8f5b60.thumb.png.fe9011853a8d28b3d9316be7e43f85c7.png

Deadman 10 / Day 77

Max's wolves still don't make an appearance. I decide to fetch the wolf pelts from Milton to get to work on the coat. After finishing morning chores, I load on wolf steaks (I save them for travelling) and pass through the cave using my lantern for light. I find a lump of coal along the way. But it's too windy on the Milton end: felt -20°C, I'll never be able to travel in max winds, no matter what clothes I've got. I make a test walk and run out of half of my temp bar before reaching the waterfall. So I return to the cave and stay for the night.

Edited by Drifter Man
  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Deadman 10 / Day 78

I have to wait at the cave until the afternoon for the weather to become reasonable. With a bit of running, I reach the rope with about half of my temp bar left and wait for a minute to check for the wolf below: not there today. Then I climb down and reach the cave. A cured wolf pelt and three liters of water are waiting for me there - excellent, I need the water right now, I ran out of water while waiting.

It's too late and the weather isn't good enough for me to continue, so I just collect some sticks and wait out the night in the cave. A blizzard breaks out soon.

Deadman 10 / Day 79

The morning is too cold, as always. I eat my remaining food, keep waiting and checking for the wolf. In the afternoon winds come to standstill. I reach the rope, climb to Milton Park, collect 20+ cloth and two wolf pelts, plus some other supplies I left behind. Warm up in the bed - winds remain still. I climb back down. The wolf is still not around, only the "wolf board" spooks me every single time I look at it.

screen_adeed0eb-e7a8-40e6-bc91-3c81a2a40008.thumb.png.4a1bd84536525e29e20ae2f08db8c3e2.png

After a brief break in the cave, I wake up to light fog. The rest of the journey is safe and uneventful.

screen_f81a6b1a-6746-4102-b02c-31b9bc2be585.thumb.png.f2f6bd189c99f79be2b57a40f48ef4f2.png

In addition to cloth and wolf pelts, I return with 25 more sticks than I had when I left Trapper's.

News on arrival: wolves are at Max's and in the woods towards Unnamed Pond. One wolf pelt has finished curing, so I can begin working on the coat tomorrow. I'm exhausted and get almost 12 hours of sleep.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 2

Deadman 10 / Day 80-89

Days pass. I snare rabbits, collect sticks and kill wolves as they appear, all while working on the wolfskin coat. Cabin fever rears up its head for a moment but I manage to keep it subdued - with 18°C clothing its doable. With wolves helping out, I abandon the second rabbit zone - and meat is still piling up at my doorstep. And I expand my stick locations to the terrain wave between Trapper's and Max's - it has quite a few sticks to offer once the wolves are cleared out.

Speaking of wolves, one runs away with my arrow and I never locate either, so I'm down to 10.

Then, on Day 89, I realize I have nothing left to do. But I'm going to need stuff. Deer skins - I only have one spare and while the pants and boots are holding up, currently around 90%, eventually they will need repair. But there are no deer around here. Also: I'll need new birch saplings, sooner or later.

I thought of waiting for the second wolf coat but the pelts will need 6 more days to cure. And then I'll have to put in maybe 10 more days before the coat is finished. I don't want to stay holed up here forever. After all, retirement was meant for older people to travel a bit.

So, in the evening of Day 89, I begin repairing my clothes to max status, in preparation for my next journey.

Deadman 10 / Day 90

When I put the new wolf coat on and when I'm done with repairs, my clothes jump to 23°C.

screen_827a0af5-d54c-4ca1-9280-0fde81e2d5ce.thumb.png.8f597d26721a568f531d4b03a74b7f01.png

In the afternoon, Mountain Town welcomes me with a clear, windless weather, and no wolf to complicate my climb down. It's felt -5°C in my new clothes - it won't last forever but still it's incredible.

screen_b6779959-b757-48ea-b963-0d602726c86e.thumb.png.a6cb2db5813489bdcc16c3469aac7092.png

I start a fire to make water, collect sticks and stone one rabbit to save my travelling wolf steaks for later. The other rabbit escapes. So much for my newly acquired flawless rocksniping skills.

I spend the night in the cave, which is a full-fledged coal mine, with 7 coals respawned over the days I was gone.

screen_287b4b07-7b72-489b-81f6-95460458dffa.thumb.png.b75e2a53474ce228a87b87cad8b6318e.png

I wake up, Trebly Dead:

screen_5ccd4eca-dce0-4c49-b6ab-cffe07680069.thumb.png.eacb4db4cadc82f13d61d828f9cb678f.png

• Upvote 1
  • Like 3

As a long-time lurker, I have to say that reading these stories is something I do every morning when I get to work. To me they are more enjoyable than even playing the game itself!

Also, that trebly-dead thing gave me the same heart-attack as the doubly-dead. I instantly think you missed cold or infection or something and died suddenly.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Hotzn said:

Still following this bold run, but really busy atm. Will comment in more detail when there is more time. Go, @Drifter Man!

Thank you, Professor!

20 hours ago, BareSkin said:

Does it make it 15 (FIFTEEN) rabbits?

Nope - first of all, what would I do with FIFTEEN rabbits a day? :)

19 hours ago, Glauron said:

As a long-time lurker, I have to say that reading these stories is something I do every morning when I get to work. To me they are more enjoyable than even playing the game itself!

Also, that trebly-dead thing gave me the same heart-attack as the doubly-dead. I instantly think you missed cold or infection or something and died suddenly.

I'm sorry - I should stop using that term :D Thanks, lurkers are most welcome - I'll be happy if you keep lurking around!

Deadman 10 / Day 91

In the morning I load smellies and check for the wolf outside the cave. No, it's not coming, so this area is safe. Before noon - much earlier than I'm used to, thanks to my upgraded clothing - the temperatures are already comfortable for travel. I reach Milton Park and even have some time to spare to collect sticks.

However, after two hours of sleep I take to warm up and reduce fatigue, I wake up to this:

screen_07648687-8b95-4ac5-b6fa-975569812225.thumb.png.d722d92d3edfc9294f5b9b1db2195d19.png

The blizzard keeps going almost exactly until nightfall. I can't do anything today. At least I exchange my old bow (56% condition) for a new one I've been keeping at Milton Park as backup. I'm going to use the bow quite a bit in the coming days and I need to be able to rely on it.

At night I run out of water and start a fire to make some - a campfire at the doorstep, I've confirmed it's 100% windproof there. You can't take much water with you in the backpack when you travel, and especially when you climb ropes, so delays like these mean having to start a fire. Anyway, that's what matches are for.

Deadman 10 / Day 92

I let the fire burn into the morning. Cooking pots allow me to sleep while the water is boiling - I sleep in a bedroll next to the campfire to keep the temperature bonus, most of which I would lose if I slept in the office building.

When the temperatures are high enough and the winds stop, I drink hot reishi tea, pack up and leave. With a short stop at the cave between the two ropes, I quickly reach Milton Basin in the afternoon and make myself comfortable in the cave.

screen_c75bbc97-7f55-40b2-8b77-76c50d769d9d.thumb.png.85b5c4f401d68e6244d940598b18fab0.png

I note the moose scratch marks (they were here when I first arrived over two months ago) and attempt to drive a deer into a wolf because I'm running low on food. The wolf appears confused by my smell, keeps changing direction and refuses to attack the deer.

screen_1171c152-0c00-4417-8910-e455dca196c4.thumb.png.5f9d3429f36ad318be8505dc8abb2f0b.png

In the end I bait and shoot the two wolves. One runs away, but I get the other on the spot, albeit only at the second attempt. I harvest the meat to make sure I've got enough to eat tonight. Weather stops me in the search for the other wolf. At least I find a forgotten cattail and some rosehips.

The plan is now to stay at the basin or a few days, hunt the deer for pelts and try the moose if it shows up.

screen_cfca8e09-b75f-478d-afff-394d557ec103.thumb.png.d51dd7c81ff0f1577324ddb451360545.png

screen_be8cd936-26ea-4a78-9ef8-63d876127c89.thumb.png.d517e9cda448d0650a7bf09b37936009.png

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

Deadman 10 / Day 93

The warm clothes tempt me to leave early in the morning. Felt -12°C isn't at all bad at this time of the day! But I don't venture out far. In a bay near the cave, I locate a deer carcass, start a maglens fire and get my first spare deer hide along with a bit of meat. I like getting a free lunch.

screen_090af76b-9ed5-4acb-8e0a-fea3adb3b5c1.thumb.png.b19efb704432e1f0e8ca3c1a3230aee6.png

I have the flare gun ready: wolves are dead but moose attack could be possible. Winds are in their assassin mode - they are still for an hour, then break into maximum strength when I am far enough from base. I find my first wolf kill at Hermit's Cabin, along with my arrow. I take the meat without fire but leave the pelt this time. On the way back I fight full strength winds but make it to the cave safely.

screen_79a1ccba-ef09-40c4-9c5f-85dae4f795da.thumb.png.049f7d3412ef3861e3a4a8e7728b5337.png

One more trip in the evening, yielding some sticks, rosehips and cattails. Unfortunately, no birch saplings as I hoped. Again, full strength winds with felt -17°C attack me on the way back. I finish the day with some cooking - sun has been up all the time - and making water.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Guest jeffpeng
7 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

I like it there, it makes a very good base. With occasional trips to the farm for the workbench.

Actually the only real draw back of it is that the workbench is 2 climbs away. Not really sure if the rabbit spawns are enough for Deadman, but I really like the place as an endgame refuge.

4 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

Actually the only real draw back of it is that the workbench is 2 climbs away. Not really sure if the rabbit spawns are enough for Deadman, but I really like the place as an endgame refuge.

I've counted three rabbit zones although they yield is unknown to me. I didn't bring snares, so far I'd say that there are enough wolves and deer to support me for a while.

Guest jeffpeng
Just now, Drifter Man said:

I've counted three rabbit zones although they yield is unknown to me. I didn't bring snares, so far I'd say that there are enough wolves and deer to support me for a while.

Yeah, if you are willing and able to hunt, 2 deer and 2 wolves plus the occasionally stoned rabbit can get you pretty far. And well - if you are so lucky to get the moose you're set.

Marsh Ridge in FM is easy to reach, also is a moose spot, has no other hostile wildlife  and also two more rabbit groves - but you probably know that. If you combine both areas living here is definitely sustainable. 

Deadman 10 / Day 94-98

The next few days are all about hunting. On Days 94 and 95 I kill and harvest (hide + meat) two deer. I occasionally take a gut as well. While deer are difficult to hunt on Deadman, due to their long-range radar, the open terrain of the Milton Basin in combination with warm clothes allow me to hunt with relative ease. I can crouch-walk around them and hit them from behind, although I have to shoot from a longer distance than I was used to.

screen_c8e40176-c5c6-4d67-bec8-1fa68e0ff3d9.thumb.png.aef04d4c2aee35a6acdb457f3c212757.png

This gets me to three precious deer hides curing in my cave.

screen_aae9a637-fe80-457e-ae81-d28ec7447291.thumb.png.8f57dd542e0376d60dc7ef985638eccb.png

On Day 96 I turn my attention to the northern part of the basin and the other two deer. I hit one but it runs away and dies on a steep hill high above. When I return to climb the hill, wolves reappear. I am ready and while one pursues and kills the remaining deer, I take out his brother. With my hands freed up, I approach the first wolf, which is still occupied with the kill, and send it away running with an arrow stuck in its back: I'm not letting it ruin my deer!

Winds pick up at that moment and I have to return to the cave before I can reclaim my arrows. Fortunately, I manage to reach all the kills over the next two days, find all arrows, get both deer hides and enough meat to keep my stomach happy for about a week.

There is a fifth deer waiting in the western part of the basin. However, the moose has not appeared.

screen_d57e3786-e4f9-4328-8edd-762965338da4.thumb.png.2e397a647fedb484cba78413f989859b.png

screen_f85275f3-955b-4199-9ad5-855f043ad6ac.thumb.png.88986f5ac376318f42351d31bde8950b.png

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

Yeah, if you are willing and able to hunt, 2 deer and 2 wolves plus the occasionally stoned rabbit can get you pretty far. And well - if you are so lucky to get the moose you're set.

Marsh Ridge in FM is easy to reach, also is a moose spot, has no other hostile wildlife  and also two more rabbit groves - but you probably know that. If you combine both areas living here is definitely sustainable. 

Yep, I've spent a bit of time on the Marsh Ridge, although mostly on Interloper. It has only one rabbit zone, but a really good one - you can get 3-4 rabbits per day there. No moose lives there in my current Deadman run though.

Milton Basin + Marsh Ridge have 2 wolves and 6 deer on Deadman, plus up to 2 moose if you get really lucky.