Think you're good at TLD? Try the DEADMAN CHALLENGE

JAFO

On 30.11.2018 at 11:47 AM, Drifter Man said:

The initial setup (30-50 days) is hard, but once you overcome it, it becomes almost as easy as normal Interloper. I see no reason why one could not survive indefinitely (or until the day comes and deadman gets wolfed).

But the best game mode there is... ruined interloper for me. The sleepheal is a wonky mechanic.

On 26/02/2019 at 5:11 PM, earthy said:

as of the hotfix tonight this doesn't seem to be true anymore. just got cabin fever risk on my 55 day deadman for the first time :(

Cabin Fever would come on Day 55 even before the update, with cabin fever turned off. Turning it off would just give you a 50-day grace period. It would appear things haven't changed with the hotfix - but I haven't played since.

Just discovered this thread

Seems not so hard to survive. The only thing i see is the random spawn that limits your chances.

You could start over and over again till the game gives you the "right" spawn, or you could leave this rule aside, or you actually could say specificly that you have to spawn in TWM for example. What i mean is, if it's random i just start over and over again till i spawn in DP, CH, Milton or ML, if i can chose, i'd chose ML.

The reason is simply, that this challenge depends on how fast you lose the condition you got. So you need a spawn in a small map with lots of loot and shelter. Also it makes it easy to not run for the forge but to use rabbits and fishing instead. Someone who spawns in TWM has a huge disadvantage against someone spawning in DP in that challenge. So either make it a rule to spawn in TWM (to make it really hard) or just spawn where you want (then it's not so hard to survive).

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking for the rules for Deadman. In my first attempt, not understanding the conditions (used the custom code to load) I survived only 3 days. But in that time and recognizing some of the conditions (aka no recovery), it definitely has me thinking strategically different. Some things coming to mind are:

1. Temp loss is the most crucial element to worry about (this is true, however, in any Loper run)

2. Focus should be on knowing shelter and using resources as they become immediately available. In most Loper runs, I expect and use the condition loss as a catalyst to get to the next goal. 

3. Movement needs to be more thought out in the sense of avoiding sprains/etc. that will deduct from condition loss. My start put me on the high ridge in PV at which point I quickly made my way down to the barn but in doing so, got a sprain  and lost a good chunk of condition off the bat. NOT GOOD. 

4. Obvious avoid wolves. 

I'm not sure if discoverable supplies were limited as I came across a typical amount of loot as I would in a vanilla Loper.  I enjoy the challenge because it tests your ability to work around constraints without seeming like an impossibility for survival. Its very hard but I imagine, as with all TLD modes, once your figure out a plan of attack, survival becomes much more possible. 

Looking forward to continuing to try

Something I noticed that's very helpful for Deadman is the frequency that bears respawn. I was setting up shop at trappers in my run after forging, and it was truly a bear meat paradise. I would kill the bear, begin harvesting and cooking him, and before I could even cook all of the meat he would respawn. If you quarter him and cut/cook him in small pieces indoors, you can easily get level 5 cooking within a few days, and live comfortably on bear meat. At that point if you get bored and want to go travelling(maybe hit the summit or forge again), you can set up little outposts along the way, leaving behind water and wolf meat for the return trip.

1 hour ago, Bano said:

1. Temp loss is the most crucial element to worry about (this is true, however, in any Loper run)

2. Focus should be on knowing shelter and using resources as they become immediately available. In most Loper runs, I expect and use the condition loss as a catalyst to get to the next goal. 

3. Movement needs to be more thought out in the sense of avoiding sprains/etc. that will deduct from condition loss. My start put me on the high ridge in PV at which point I quickly made my way down to the barn but in doing so, got a sprain  and lost a good chunk of condition off the bat. NOT GOOD. 

4. Obvious avoid wolves. 

Good points. Also go for the flare gun and stims. 

• 3 months later...

Dave McD has a pretty good Deadman's Challange run on youtube.
I did not watched everything up till now but he is still uploading.

The sound in the first episodes is a bit low but he wrotes that it becomes better at later episodes.
He has a parental and serious style, but not boring to me.

Wach it and give him some subscribes and props, he deserves it.

(linking the playlists always embeds last video in list and i dont want you to start at the end)

Edited by teenriot
Fixed URL
  • Like 1

On 7/4/2019 at 1:55 AM, teenriot said:

(linking the playlists always embeds last video in list and i dont want you to start at the end) 

Normally it doesn't.. but he's somehow gotten his playlist in reverse order.. which makes it more than a little awkward to watch.

Looks good, though.. I've watched the first 2 vids, and am about to watch the third.

On 7/7/2019 at 8:20 AM, JAFO said:

Normally it doesn't.. but he's somehow gotten his playlist in reverse order.. which makes it more than a little awkward to watch.

Looks good, though.. I've watched the first 2 vids, and am about to watch the third.

Heya

Seems like the playlists defaults in youtube - well at least through the Youtube Studio beta makes them newest first. I might go back through and reset them to order by release date. Might much you up a bit if you;re halfway through a list is all. Thanks for picking this up btw :)

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1