Jumping

MacEwan1

Look I love this game tons but, I would REALLY love to see the ability to JUMP added to the game.  I am not talking about jumping from roof to roof or mt. to mt., just the ability to make small hops over branches, fallen logs, short walls and fences, etc.  PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!100

• Upvote 1

I understand the concern of the OP, but I for one enjoy not having to consider that if I'm only persistent enough I can mini-jump a short-cut to some lofty place (a la Skyrim).

Maybe being able to "vault" over downed branches would be enough. Maybe it costs a bit extra stamina and happens automatically with a very very low percent chance to sprain your ankle -- encouraging you to "GO AROUND".

[on a side note: there are a few things that clearly alert the player, "this is not your typical video game."  No-Jump and the dis-incentive to run everywhere.  Personally, I think these are incredibly inspired design decisions that lead the new player to the question, "hmm, what else shouldn't I assume."  And that hopefully guides them toward understanding that the wolfs and bears are to be avoided, not dominated as you would in a typical game.]

• Upvote 4
  • Like 1

You can already jump. It can be hard to notice because its automatic and you get very little air time. For instance - stepping onto the deck outside a cabin? You actually jump. If only you had 3rd person you'd see that. You can get more air time if needed. Go somewhere high then walk to somewhere that instantly transitions to somewhere very low. A cliff would work. You'll do a huge jump. Trust me. ^_^

Asked a million times...historically, if you search the forums....

But I agree it should be added, especially since they added these little cliffs you can climb with Wintermute, but I can't ge over a waist high wooden fence in Pleasant Valley....

Edited by Wintermut

• 1 year later...

I'm not bothered about actual jumping, myself. I don't even mind not being able to step over a small fence. But I think the "automatic stepping over things mechanic" could be improved. Not having to walk around small branches, deployed climbing ropes,  random debris etc, would be nice. 

• Upvote 1

@MacEwan1,
I mentioned this in another thread, but it seems it would fit here as well:

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 12:17 AM, ManicManiac said:

Here's how I see it... the particular rules so far seem very consistent.  Like I was saying earlier, it's all just a part of the reality your character exists in.  All of the other creatures in The Long Dark can't jump/step up either (no I'm not counting attack animations, because it's just an animation and not an actual method of locomotion around the environment).  Everything in the world appears to be on equal footing, so it's fair (I acknowledge I can't see the code so I can't know for sure).  Even with the system set up the way it is, a player can still scale up many surfaces and inclines in ways that the animals can't (because they are not capable of being creative, they just have pathfinding algorithms).  In that regard the player always has the distinct advantage of being able to think creatively and use the mechanics to the utmost that the world allows.

For another example just because we're conditioned to have a jumping mechanic from other games does not mean *[we're going to automatically have them in all games].  It's just a design choice.  We can either accept the "reality" we are playing in, or we can choose to let small perceived inconveniences ruin our experience; and that's a personal choice.

The point is... we can't just look to the sky and fly off in the air, and we accept this because that's just part of the reality we live in.  Likewise, in the world of The Long Dark we can't jump/step up, that's also just part of that reality we're playing in.  We certainly do not have to like it, that's our right... but if we really don't like it we can play something that we like better.

*edited to make the thoughts expressed more fitting to the topic of the this thread.

:coffee::fire:
...I do really wish topics like these wouldn't resurface so frequently, the forum search functions are wonderful tools.  :)
Also, @MacEwan1... there is no need to make the font so huge or bold.  These things don't make the thread more noticeable... it just makes it seem more obnoxious when it's read.  I only mean this as constructive criticism, I'm not saying that to be mean. 

Edited by ManicManiac

Jumping is overrated. You'd think it is a massive help, but it's just not. I used to play with mods but not anymore. However, jumping was possible...and honestly, I thought it would drastically change my gameplay. In the end, the best thing it lead to was being able to jump aboard the Riken's deck without having to walk though it. Other than that...completely not useful or needed. Same as binoculars. You think you need it desperately until you actually have it in-game...and then it's totally just redundant in the end. 

2 hours ago, Lohaan said:

In the end, the best thing it lead to was being able to jump aboard the Riken's deck without having to walk though it.

I agree jumping is overrated.   As for being able to get on top of the Riken's Deck, there is a goat path. 

Go to this side.

screen_cce943f7-61d1-481b-a50a-671cd95b9cc6_hi.thumb.png.5746537c94adbb0ee5d94dfe7fe88895.png

Goat this side.

screen_82d93291-327d-4f8c-ab9c-597b48a1249e_hi.thumb.png.27f8433c937ef90a5ccf1ee2a51d7770.png

screen_d75d4173-06bc-4383-b2a3-5f706ee92172_hi.thumb.png.93d1ec25adb07e0ae6baa8c7b9a75ced.png

At Harpoon gun turn around.

screen_80dcbc5d-7d58-4a59-83ba-ac4806eecbfd_hi.thumb.png.24b5e3b185347e4808c4576a6ca74524.png

The ship deck is accessible to goats.  Also a good way to avoid mister brown pants.

Guest kristaok

Okay I believe it was yesterday or the day before... anyway I somehow got stuck between like the cliff and a big fallen tree or something while I was coming down from the cliff.

Anyway, I was like oh no do I have to start all over again? which would have really sucked... So I fought like heck to get free so I wouldn't have to start all over again. I got free by continuously crouching / standing, and moving, thankfully it worked and I freed myself. I would have been able to free myself a lot quicker if I was able to vault or jump. :/ Just saying...

18 minutes ago, kristaok said:

So I fought like heck to get free so I wouldn't have to start all over again. I got free by continuously crouching / standing, and moving, thankfully it worked and I freed myself.

Awesome.  That is certainly functional goating technique.  Here is another that is not to well known, consider it a Halloween treat.  If a fire is built the cooking slab stone can be used as a step.  This small lift amount has saved me when stuck. 

Could the vault mechanic work similar where it takes time to place or create the step?

@kristaok
It does suck getting caught in the terrain.  It happened to me not too long ago... unfortunately I was not able to get free and I struggled until my survivor died of exhaustion, starvation, and dehydration.  I accepted it though, because this game is fair.  The rules seem very consistent.  The reason I got stuck was because I wasn't careful enough about watching where I was going.  It's not the games fault, and a lack of jumping/vaulting was not to blame.

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 12:17 AM, ManicManiac said:

Here's how I see it... the particular rules so far seem very consistent.  Like I was saying earlier, it's all just a part of the reality your character exists in.  All of the other creatures in The Long Dark can't jump/step up either (no I'm not counting attack animations, because it's just an animation and not an actual method of locomotion around the environment).  Everything in the world appears to be on equal footing, so it's fair (I acknowledge I can't see the code so I can't know for sure).  Even with the system set up the way it is, a player can still scale up many surfaces and inclines in ways that the animals can't (because they are not capable of being creative, they just have pathfinding algorithms).  In that regard the player always has the distinct advantage of being able to think creatively and use the mechanics to the utmost that the world allows.

For another example just because you're conditioned to have a jumping mechanic from other games does not mean it's "immersion breaking" just because you don't have a mechanic that you expected in another game.  It's just a design choice.  We can either accept the "reality" we are playing in, or we can choose to let small perceived inconveniences ruin our experience; and that's a personal choice.

The point is... we can't just look to the sky and fly off in the air, and we accept this because that's just part of the reality we live in.  Likewise, in the world of The Long Dark we can't jump/step up, that's also just part of that reality we're playing in.  We may certainly not like it, that's our right.  If we really don't like it we can play something that we like better.

• Upvote 1

Guest kristaok
1 minute ago, ManicManiac said:

@kristaok
It does suck getting caught in the terrain.  It happened to me not too long ago... unfortunately I was not able to get free and I struggled until my survivor died of exhaustion, starvation, and dehydration.  I accepted it though, because this game is fair.  The rules seem very consistent.  The reason I got stuck was because I wasn't careful enough about watching where I was going.  It's not the games fault, and a lack of jumping/vaulting was not to blame.

Yikes... <.< We will have to just agree to disagree on this one...