Killed by Lightning!

Vince 49

I was about 86 days into a good Stalker+ game and lost power due to a nearby lightning strike (in the real world).  Once I got power back, I restarted The Long Dark, then Resume, but that brought up an earlier game.  I checked the load list and my Staker+ game was gone.  I assume there's no way to get it back--I had something north of 40 hours in the game and hate to lose it by a power outage.

Edit: Unfortunately, it's worse.  I started a new game and, although the game saves when it should (like after resting), if I Quite, then Resume, an earlier game is loaded.  I can manually load the more recent game, but not by the Resume command.  If there is any way to fix this at all, without loosing all my badges and history, I would certainly like to know how.

Edit2: I am running Windows 7 so tried System Restore to see if it would fix the Resume issue--it did not so I undid it.

9 hours ago, Vince 49 said:

I can manually load the more recent game, but not by the Resume command.  If there is any way to fix this at all, without loosing all my badges and history, I would certainly like to know how.

Good morning @Vince 49, I had a similar experience, (lightning storm with sudden RL power outage mid-game), but I was playing on a laptop computer with enough battery to use the game menu to quit and then later resume and sync with the cloud after the power was restored, (so for me the shock of RL darkness mid-game was a fun experience), I'm very sorry to here you can't find your game-save.

Clearly you are familiar with the game, but if you don't mind me asking, could you clarify your OP regarding what you mean when you say "...quit and then resume..."

(For example; are you using 'ESC Key' to exit to the 'Game Menu Quit' or are you using something else like 'ALT F4 Keys')

Lastly, are you using the 'Steam Version' or the 'GOG Version' of the game...there are some smart people here in this forum and the better the problem is explained the better they will be able to help. (Maybe look for the "cloud sync game saves"). 

Worst case you have a great story to share of how, "...you have gone into the long dark", and that 40 hours can be replayed with lessons learned in a fraction of the time.

Good luck my friend! :coffee:

Try verifying game cache if you have it in steam I guess. First it sounds like a corrupted save but it also seems to have affected the way your game saves. 

Also, remember that the game only saves upon injury and entering a location with a loading screen so new games probably wont save if you quit and resume right away before going inside somewhere or sleeping. 

Best i can help. What a rare story though. Death by frost lightning.

@s7mar7inand @MarrowStone, thanks for the suggestions.  AFAIK that Stalker+ game is gone forever.  However, the Resume problem remains.

If I'm in a game that has saved (like after entering an interior location), I hit [Esc] then choose the Quit option.  Then, at the main menu, I choose Survival Mode, then Resume.  That sequence usually loads the most recent game at its last save.  However, after the storm outage, mine does not.

However, when I looked at it in more detail, I realized that the most recent saved game is no longer moved to the top of the list.  Resume just loads the first game in the list, so the real problem is the most recent saved game is not at the top.  I can manually load it, so it's not the end of the world.  For reference, I purchased the game from GOG, but do not use Galaxy.

Update: Surprisingly, the Resume issue healed itself!  After more than a dozen saves, where the most recent save was not at the top of the list like it should be, TLD started saving the most recent save at the top again.  Since Resume loads the save at the top, the problem is now gone.

No, I can't explain how it fixed itself--but I'm happy about it.  :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2018 at 8:47 PM, Vince 49 said:

Update: Surprisingly, the Resume issue healed itself!  After more than a dozen saves, where the most recent save was not at the top of the list like it should be, TLD started saving the most recent save at the top again.  Since Resume loads the save at the top, the problem is now gone.

No, I can't explain how it fixed itself--but I'm happy about it.  :)

If you were playing on Steam this was probably a synchronization issue.

I'm just guessing though....

Archived