Erratic walking speed

peteloud

At times I find that my walking speed is very erratic, most noticeable when it slows, then it might suddenly speed up.

I realise that my speed is affected by many things, load, slope, wind, and other issues, which all make sense, but I find the speed erratic when I can think of no game reason for it.

My cpu & graphics card should have more than enough power to cope with such things. 

I wonder if it is a problem that others experience, or could it be some background activity such as a Win 10 update.

I have found lately that my walking speed changes dramatically when I'm heading into a cave and I reach the point towards the back where the warmth bonus kicks in. Like some line drawn across the floor "past this line you will be 15C warmer... but walk 40% slower"

It seems Ok to me, the wind and weight your carrying defiantly effects walking speed, which is normal.  Also walking on hard ground to soft ground can slow you! ie. snow drifts compared to road surfaces.

Maybe when you guys drill it down to a specific action / place / weight / tiredness / walking location etc come into play, someone might help more!

I think it's about transitioning from an "indoor" environment to an "outdoor" one and vice versa. When you get to the magic point where curing starts to happen, you're "inside", and the perceived movement speed is different. This would be so that differing scales can be used in indoor vs outdoor settings with different movements speeds coupled with the different clock speed of the game (i.e. one minute lasts six seconds not sixty) so that the perceived size of game elements (eg desks and chairs inside, trees and mountains outside) coupled with the compressed time and speed of travel make sense; a human being can travel twenty kilometers in a day if they're booking, and with the time compression, sizing of objects, and size of the maps, that a person can still travel twenty "kilometers" in the game in a "day".

If you are overly waighed down and you walk over a surface that is steep enough to make you fall a little ot will revert your walking pace to medium. 

This can also happen if you crouch in the snow.

So if your carrying 50kg and you want to get a move on do a little squat in the snow or find a steep bump like the edg of a snow drift or small rock amd walk over it and you will go faster as long as you keep moving. 

This works with any waight up to the point you can not move at all. And as long as the waight you are carrying os enough to slow you below medium pace.

23 hours ago, Baukster77 said:

Has happened to me too... Usually slows down for a few seconds and then the character starts walking normally again.  Also I noticed the character sometimes crouches when I'm sure I didn't touch the ctrl button.

Instead of crouching I swear my character is like 2 feet tall compared to everything else in certain areas.

I know this thing. I didn't want to report anything since I am always happy to speed up. It's not just walking under the lee of a steep mountain wall. It also happens when you make a quick descent from a slightly higher point. Then, going through snow, or ice, can go twice as fast.

But, don't you release the key or light your lantern, because pressing forward again might put you back in speed...

It could of course be a sudden change of wind direction. But all thát sudden?? :o

• 2 weeks later...

I've observed this effect well, and I use it to my advantage when I'm way, way overburdened.

Someone above said it: sometimes, you can get closer to normal walking speed by crouching and then getting back up while walking. Otherwise, the tiniest "drop"  seems to also give you the normal walking speed.

It's like it forgets to re-reduce your speed after making some kind of calculation, but it will recalculate if you stop moving and start up again.

Wind direction will affect your walking speed, of course, but this isn't that.
Fun fact: walking head-on into the wind will slow you down tremendously. Helpful hint: turn around and walk backwards...

Archived