Question Thread :: Milton Mailbag

Admin

46 minutes ago, Pillock said:

This is turning into the Wish List subforum / suggestions thread!

Is that the idea you're going for with the Mailbag feature, or is @Raphael van Lierop looking for more general, conversational questions about the game and the studio, influences, etc?

Yes, please try to focus on questions.  You can ask "Will you ever ad X", but we don't want this particular thread to be the place where it's debated whether X would be good for the game.

• Upvote 5
  • Like 1

Hi there hinterland, in my opinion there is not many reasons to go to forlorn muskeg at the moment the only good reason to go there is to go to broken railroad. I never really see anyone go to forlorn muskeg to use a forge instead they go to the boat in DP, i think forlorn muskeg should have something good to go there for like new wildlife, more saplings etc will we ever see this?:)

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Do animals currently have internal organs? If I hit a bear in the heart with an arrow, is it an instant kill? If not, would you ever move to a system where the hunter is rewarded for precision and perhaps punished for missing?

• Upvote 2

actually I prefer the forge in the Skeg to the one in the Riken.. and there are others that do as well.... its closer to my ML cave for starters.. but I wouldn't be opposed to more being added to the map...

• Upvote 4

Now I understand that The Long Dark  Is a great game but there is little popularity the only people who play that I know of is on a Xbox club and this entire forum. This game needs a new shine of glory a trailer gone trending a man spends time in Canadian woods to relive video game. But while things could go wrong I believe this game has great gameplay great developers great story a great community but a small one at most but keep up the good work team and please don’t delay updates ~ with Warm Maple Syrup  Commander Maple 

I read somewhere in an online post, that some major influences for TLD were atmospheric RPG's like S.T.A.L.K.E.R and Fallout aswell as immersive FPS's like Bioshock and Half-Life. All of these are some of my all time favorite titles, and I definitely feel them in The Long Dark's DNA. Since Arkane's success of reviving immersive sims, along with Eidos Montreal and Night Dive Studios rebooting of classic games. Would your company ever consider trying this genre in a new IP?  Considering how much The Long Dark arleady pulls the player into the world. I believe you guys would crush it at making a game like that :)

2 hours ago, Commander Maple said:

Now I understand that The Long Dark  Is a great game but there is little popularity the only people who play that I know of is on a Xbox club and this entire forum. This game needs a new shine of glory a trailer gone trending a man spends time in Canadian woods to relive video game. But while things could go wrong I believe this game has great gameplay great developers great story a great community but a small one at most but keep up the good work team and please don’t delay updates ~ with Warm Maple Syrup  Commander Maple 

Around 2 million owners of the game, on Steam, Good old Games, WeGame, XBox One and PS4... with a Nintendo Switch port in the works, and possible physical copy (for consoles) development in the works (https://www.thelongdark.com/news/the-long-dark-hinterland-and-skybound-games/ ) . You aren't seeing how many people own or play the game, because many players are not active on any forums, of any kind. They just play the game.

2 million or so copies of the game sold, a game developed by a relatively small Indie studio, self-published, no giant company backing them and giving them promos or advertising money... I'd say that is really quite respectable for a studio of Hinterland's size. 2 million is not "small" for a first game by a new Indie studio. I think they should be proud of what they have accomplished so far, and keep working to accomplish more. Which they seem to be doing. :)

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, DRAGONSLAYERXD5 said:

I’m with Cr41g on this matter some additions would be great yes, but on the forge topic people will go to the one that they are closer to. I go to Skeg typically due to me living closer to it, but if I was nearer to the Riken then I’d go there. 

I’m totally with you on this one. Forlorn Muskeg needs a revival. I’d love to see more ice huts in this region and maybe a shelter that enables long term survival like ML or CH. 

• Upvote 1

@RuggedlySurviving Long term survival in FM: there are a number of suitable caves for that.

@Cr41g I prefer the Muskeg forge. Its more convenient, easy to get to, its a much nicer place to hang out.

The Muskeg has gone from being a place I feared to an old friend. Wolves are super avoidable, it neighbors nice regions and it feels wild. I guess I like the quiet. Thats not to say "no to ideas/change". Just showing some muskeg love.

Edited by Stone
  • Upvote 1

• Admin locked this topic

Merged some threads with this.

• Please keep it to simply stated questions. You're more likely to get an answer if it's a simple question that's not buried in a paragraph of preamble.
  • Please don't reply to other people's questions with debate. You can debate the merits of a suggestion, or question elsewhere. This is a place to collect questions.

Thanks again! We're getting some great questions and we're happy to see that people seem to like this!

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Stone said:

The Muskeg has gone from being a place I feared to an old friend. Wolves are super avoidable...

Same here, one of my favourite regions! It has mostly clear sightlines, so if you know the wolf routes you feel safe. Not to mention the amazing hollow tree by Muskeg Overlook, one of the best truly outdoor camping spots in Great Bear.

Having a forge handy is just another bonus, forget starving at DP, the skeg is where it's at! 

Question: Can you make high-end items spawn on Interloper, but with really low chance, to make exploration more exciting in the long Interloper runs?

In depth explanation (if needed):

AFAIK, High-End clothing items dont spawn at all on Interloper. I understand why you did it this way, its hardest difficulty, you have to craft everything by yourself, and since high-end clothing items usually offer better warmth/weight ratio there would be no reason to craft stuff if you could find better gear in the world. I get it.

But once you found best stuff you can get on Interloper (Mackinaw Jacket, Combat Pants, Wool Toque, etc.) there is no reason to go out and explore anymore. You know every item you gonna find will be inferior to those you already have, because better items dont spawn at all on this difficulty.

I think it could be nice if high-end items actually spawned on Interloper, but with ridiculously low chance. Think like 0.0001% or so. The chance so slim you probably wont even notice the difference, because most of the time those items still wont spawn. So it wont cause an imbalance or make Interloper too easy or anything.

But once in a while, you could probably get incredibly lucky, and find this incredibly rare set of Climbing Socks. That would help to keep exploration fresh and exciting in long Interloper runs, since you know there is always a chance you could find something valuable, even if its very unlikely.

Edited by Shy
  • Upvote 2

Alright, I think I figured it out.

A cave has 3 zones, +0 (wind-less) +3 and +8.

However, on interloper, if you play long enough, you get an additional +20 degree bonus in the back of the caves. But when I was testing the caves, I also got some at +18, so does that mean at some point in interloper, all caves get +10 and then later +20? (+0,+3,+28) Or is it that on Stalker it turns to +18 and interloper it jumps to +28?

Also, what specifically are the days? day 25/50? Unfortunately, I don't have time to repeatedly test caves to see which day EXACTLY it changes. Confirmation would be most welcome.

Now then, I am running the Explore the lore channel, and I would be remiss if I did not attempt to explain away this obvious game balancing mechanic. On my channel, I proposed the theory that auroras are not caused by Charged particles from space, but WIMPs passing through the earth forcing electrons up from the earth's core. Basically the Auroras are a form of earth quake lightning, but across the entire planet. See my video on the subject for the specifics. That all said,

If indeed the auroras are caused by particles streaming through the earth pushing electrons up and out into the sky (and only at night because the electrons are flowing away from the sun), then that sort of constant bombardment could cause heat to build up over time. This would mean the interior of underground areas might become warmer over time as the aurora particles continue to stream through the planet.

So to sum up: Is the warming of the caves over time a game mechanic in interloper? Or also in stalker?

What day exactly does it switch over, and how much is the temp change?

Is it caused by the aurora?