Admin

Question Thread :: Milton Mailbag

This has probably been asked before, but the Milton Mailbag has become so large that I find myself unable to scan it completely, and due to time restraints (work etc.) I have not been able to follow it for some time. So, that said, here is my question:

Since the very first time I played the game (a loooong time ago), the cars had hoods which could be opened, and the car battery would have a very conspicuous appearance, as if it was MADE to be taken out or tampered with in the game. However, that never materialized (at least until I last played the game). Was there a plan to make the car battery a feature long ago? If so, what was the plan? And why was it abandoned? Or is the battery still going to be a thing at some point?

Thanks in advance for any potential answer and, yes, thanks for everything in general. Great game.

• Upvote 1

Posts removed for Episode 3 spoiler content. Asking general Episode 3 questions is fine but too many people still have yet to play Episode 3 for spoiler content outside of the WINTERMUTE forum. 

Thank you. 

• Like 1

First of all, Milton Mailbag seems to have died, but I’m writing it anyway.

Secondly, I love the game, and I’m personally happy for buying it and it delivered amazing value compared to current scene of games.

Finally, the question: do you guys think of the Early Access as a necessary evil that will be avoided in the future? I see that Hinterland suffered and still suffers criticism from the community for not releasing a completed game (story mode wise), and it gets bombarded with a storm of requests for new items. I don’t think that it is fair, the game is great as it is, and for example I don’t see anyone messaging Electronic Arts complaining about FIFA 20 (these sport franchises get away with 60 dollars every year for half baked games full of bugs). I honestly think that all of these started with Early Access, which made it look like the community could have their wildest dreams come true. On another hand, I think Hinterland handles communication poorly, like the release countdown that should never been put in place; jumping into reddit and later leaving; or calling long standing game mechanics as “exploits”, as if the players were evil hackers that are breaking the game. Anyway, the community is not used to such open channels for communicating with the developers, and the developers are not used to them either. I don’t think that Hinterland’s next game should be released like everyone else is doing it: full release at once, with no community engagement, full of bugs, with DLCs from day one. But I don’t know if either side learned their lessons by now.

Edited by maverick
Mistake and rephrasing
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

What location (or zone if too on the nose) has least accessed container by survival players? What percentage of players access this container? Cheers.

• Upvote 1

There's been this one question that comes every now and then when I'm at the campfire:

When You drink e.g. a cup of hot tea, it gives you a warm up bonus

But drinking boiling hot water, directly from the can by the fire when it says it's boiling (so no mistake that it wouldn't be hot enough), doesn't give the warm up bonus?

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

I Would Like to know If You Ever Thought Of Adding the Following:

Aurora Kitchen items: Have you Ever thought About Making It Where You Can Use The Refrigerator During The Aurora To Increase Condition on Food Items. Or To Cook Stuff with the Electric Stove During The aurora. Same With the microwaves.

Tame Wolves: It May Appear Weird But Who Doesn't Want A Wolf As A Pet. To Be More Descriptive Make It Where You Can Feed the wolf Dog Food Or Meat. And Where You can Diagnose It to See If It Wants Food Or Water, and if Its Injured. And then if it isn't Took Care of, It will turn on you. 

Sorry About Capitalization Its A Habit.

• Upvote 1

Hello, 

I was wondering if you guys were thinking of adding in a "Waterfall volume slider". 

I have found a perfect volume setting for everything but waterfalls still stay very loud, it can be uncomfortable if I am travelling in HRV for example where waterfalls are everywhere. It might just be a problem that I'm having but this addition would make it a lot better for me at least, hopefully others too.

• Upvote 10

Posted (edited)

Howdy Raph

Are you messing with us when it comes to the BI shortcut hunt? were you simply referring to bringing a rope to the Plateau? any who I love you game and I'm looking forward to episode 4

cheers

Edited by vta4ever
  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

In Errant Pilgrim Rifle cartridges and firearm cleaning kits appear to be unavailable on custom low resource settings although the odd rifle and revolver do show up.  In 1.67 both ammunition and cleaning kits were plentiful.  Perhaps too plentiful IMHO but that's another conversation...

Is this change intentional and intended to compel a visit to Bleak Inlet or a bug?  I submitted a ticket on this issue but thought I'd ask here.

Thanks again for this awesome game.  Hope all at Hinterland are well-rested and ready to continue their great work.

• Upvote 1

I'd like to know the thoughts on adding a few items to the game:

Thermos: keeps drinks and soup hot for 18 hours.

Gel Fuel Jar: doesn't put off much ambient heat, but provides a single, portable cooking spot that's easy to light.

Mess Kit: a metal kit containing a can opener, 0.5L multipurpose cooking pot and cup, serving tray, and utensils.

Tent/Tarp: provides a portable place to get out of the weather, but not very durable. Has a chance of being destroyed in high winds.

I was also wondering, I see some buildings have propane tanks hooked to the exterior. Is there plans to let us open a valve and use them to heat the building's interior or something?

• Upvote 3

Please let's make sure this thread is only for questions for @Raphael van Lieropthe Creative Director of The Long Dark. It's not a place to put your ideas for the game or things you'd like to see. Ask questions about The Long Dark, game development and more but please avoid posts that are more a list of desires with a question mark at the end.

Thank you.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

You know, The Long Dark thought of almost every medical condition one could expect in a winter wasteland... Frostbite, hypothermia, even cabin fever... But they forgot one. Trench Foot. When your character has been wearing the same boots and socks for days or weeks at a time... 

• Upvote 4

Does Hinterland intend to make a major revision of the wolf behaviour or do you intend to keep it the same, or close to the same, as it is now?

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

With basic wolves increased in difficulty across the board (exceeding bears), will bears be increased so they are actually more difficult than wolves again? And with all these increases in wildlife difficulty, will we be given a minigun so we can survive?

• Upvote 2

How do you come up with ideas for new regions? How do you decide when to include buildings, fishing huts, or even caves?

• Upvote 2

Hello Raphael! Steve from the long dark community. It has come as a surprise to many of us, that the magnetic apocalypse is a real thing. The North Magnetic pole is heading off toward Siberia and a new magnetic anomaly has formed called the South Atlantic Magnetic Anomaly. I started documenting that phenomena in another Facebook group, linked to TLDC. I'm hoping that you are aware of the real world dangers of this to air traffic and satellites, as well as to our vital infrastructure, the next time a solar flare hits Earth. Well that's the political end; not something the gamers need be concerned about. My question is this:

when did you first become aware that the magnetic anomaly is really happening? Was helping people to adjust to this future event, something you had in mind for the game?

On a side note, this has split our community but I  hope we share our information and pool our hard-fought knowledge, both for the game and the real world. I've added social learning (AKA training) modules to these two groups. The TLDC group is strictly for fun (and survival tips) while the Deep Thinkers group is for solving problems and helping people learn to be effective negotiators and community leaders. I hope to add some tactical training for TLD, as the new Timberwolves have greatly added to the challenge of the game. Well played sir!

• Like 1

Hello Raphael,

I have short question: shortcut inside BI Cannery - was it all a misunderstanding?

• Upvote 1

1) Why the game has made us go further south until now, while we should go north?

2) Why the island doesn't have any type of government structure? For example: City Hall, Police Station, Fire Station, Hospital, etc.

3) Shouldn't it be possible to communicate with the mainland through radio stations during the Auroras?

4) FM is one of the regions with the lowest human presence, however it has 3 radio towers, while other more populated regions have only 1, such as Milton, or even none, such as CH and DP. Why?

• Upvote 2

Whats the reason you decided to make it possible to add coal immediately to a fire after lighting it instead of having to wait 30 minutes for the fire to get hot like it used to be?

Why on the way from the Mysterious lake to the Bleak InIet we go down into the Ravine, then down to the cave that leads to the Forlorn Muskeg, after passing through it we find ourselves in a Forlorn Muskeg? Clearly, it is obvious that the Bleak InIet and the Forlorn Muskeg have different levels of height, and it is logical that there should be a transitional location with climbing ropes between them...

• Upvote 1

Why is this there, when Raphael doesnt bother anyway. I am glad i forced friends not to buy this game. You know, better safe than sorry.

• Upvote 1

feedback from the developers dead?

Edited by MikeV
  • Upvote 1